Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2006, 04:39 AM   #1
abrown134
Established Member

M.O.C. #2078
Brake problem, AL-CO Axles

On a trip to Florida in early April, I had a brake which would not release after stopping in a construction zone. With no where to go, I had to drag the trailer about 200 yds before there was a should available to pull off. By this time, the tire that I was dragging was toast.

I reversed the rig and it immediately released. I had some work done on it just prior to leaving and figured they did not properly adjust the brakes. At the next exit, I found a nice big parking lot and adjusted all four just to be safe. None of them was really out of adjustment, but I managed to finish the trip without any more problems.

The rig had been taken in for the brakes squealing anytime they had more than 6 volts on them. The dealer said the grease seals were leaking and was supposed to have replaced all four. Work was done under warranty, but didn't fix the original the squealing problem.

The trailer has about 6k towing miles on it total. It had set on the lot for a year before we bought it new in 2004.

When I got home, I pulled every wheel apart, replaced grease seals, re-packed bearings, inspected the brakes, and adjusted them. I also lightly sanded the drums and the brake shoes in an attempt to solve the squealing. It seemed to help a little, but did not fix it totally. I could not see anything wrong with the brakes, other than I was suprised at the grooves in the magnet and brake drum.

Yesterday, I believe the same brake again did not want to release after stopping. It did not drag the wheel this time, and did release after a foot or two of forward motion. This issue has already cost me the price of one new tire, grease seals, not to mention my time. I really don't want to have to worry about it on a trip, and am wondering where to go from here.

Has anyone else had problems with the Al-Co axles with brakes not releasing? Is the grooves in the magnet and drum causing the problem with it not releasing? Any suggestions on how to finally solve the brake noise?

This is not my first TT by any means, and have never had a brake issue in the past. This one is just frustrating as it hasn't really improved with what the dealer said was wrong, and is now having more problems than what I started with.

Thanks
Aaron

abrown134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:56 AM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I have the alco axles and have not had any problems, the groves that are in the magnet and brake drum could be allowing the one magnet to get to hot and is not allowing the arm to release. One more option is your brake shoes are moving just enough to put a bind on them and not releasing until you back up, the next time you have them apart check where the shoes sit and see if they move around could be one of the springs that hold your shoes in place could be weak, Good luck Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I don't know about the locking up on the wheel but for you info, I had a 315 mountaineer TT and very noisy brakes. When they ,al-co, built the axles they installed the wrong shoes. They were to hard of lining. That might be your problem also. Contact al-co and talk to then about the problem. If possible have axle numbers with you. They have numbers on them, like serial numbers. They might cover the cost of all your problems. Good luck
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I think the axles are AL-KO. Never had any problem with our 04 but I just put disc brakes on the unit. Trailer will stop the truck now. Sort of like comparing radio to plasma TV.

bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
abrown134
Established Member

M.O.C. #2078
Well, I looked into the disc brake conversion. Looks like a great system, but wow!, you do pay for it.
After getting sticker shock at that I managed to get a hold of AL-KO in Elkhart, IN. Explained the problem to them, and found out the axles are still under warranty. (2 year from purchase) Once I follow up with them with the axle tag numbers, I will be taking it to the dealer of my choice to have fixed. Hopefully this will end the problems once and for all. The dealer I bought it from is about an hour away, and the one that looked at it last time...lets just say I've had a lot better service other places. The one I am going to this time has done work for me in the past and has always done a better than expected job, and really stand behind their work. If anyone needs service, I don't hesitate to recommend P&K RV in Eaton Rapids, MI.
I'll report back as to what is found...

Aaron
Old 06-08-2006, 02:37 AM   #6
abrown134
Established Member

M.O.C. #2078
***Update***
Talked again with the rep from AL-KO yesterday. They are sending out a complete set of brake shoes for the trailer. They agreed to cover the parts but not labor, so it looks like a Saturday afternoon project for me.
The new pads are supposed to have beveled edges, and are made of a softer material. The different edge design is supposed to keep them not getting hung up after stopping, while the softer or different material is supposed to cure the squeal. Lets hope this is the end of the problems...

Aaron
Old 06-08-2006, 04:03 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our 2000 Montana did the same thing shortly after purchase. In our case it was found to be brake shoe dust on the drum. At least that's what we were told. It never did it again.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had nearly the same thing on our first Montana. The brakes would take several feet of forward movement before they would release. My dealer said the brake magnet had worn so much (rounded) that application of the brakes caused the brake mechanism to go past the peak of the magnet and thus would not automatically return. I am not explaining this very well.

In our case, the Montana was nearly new. The wire to the brakes on one side was broken and the linings on that side appeared to have never touched the drum. We were braking on one side only, which caused the severe wear. You would have noticed this on yours but you still might check to see if the magnet is so worn it is not allowing auto return of the shoes.

---on edit--I should have said on one axle, not on one side.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
abrown134
Established Member

M.O.C. #2078
***Update***
Managed to get the new shoes installed on Sunday. Glad I did the drivers side first as I had to finish the other side up in a downpour.
I am cautiously optimistic that the problem may be fixed. I towed it about 35 miles after putting them on and heard no noises from them at all. Stopping distance may have decreased a little, but maybe from just being able to get on them harder without the noises. I plan on doing a final adjustment after the next tow and hope no other issues develop. It has been a pain to deal with the last few months, not to mention expensive, but I will say that AL-KO stepped up and provided the needed parts.

Aaron