Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2022, 01:07 PM   #1
wargle

M.O.C. #14314
living room slide won't retract

I have a 2006 329 RLS. It's been in my barn for four years due to my wife's health problems, but I think we're finally ready to take it out. The slides have been out (mistake) during this time. The bedroom slide retracts like it should. the hydraulic pump sounds normal. Then the entertainment slide starts but slows down after traveling in a few inches. The pump sounds like it's struggling, but it finally makes it in. by this time the pump sounds like it has stopped. holding the retract switch down only causes the living room/dinette slide to creep in a couple of inches and I can't hear the pump running. I'm connected to shore power and the battery is fully charged. If I reverse to extend, the slides will extend like they should. Plenty of fluid in the reservoir. This is a HydraGear slide out system according the coach owner's manual.

Any help would greatly appreciated..

wargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:01 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You said your camper hadn’t been used in four years. How is your battery? Did it go dead? That is the first thing I would check. I would just replace the battery. Could you need to lubricant your slides and all the mechanical components? There is probably nothing wrong with the pump.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:01 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If it's a hydraulic ram actuated slide system, and it is extended, I would inspect, clean and lubricate the rams (check for rust/pitting) and any mechanical parts involved.
Maybe even spray some PTFE (lithium) spray lubricant on the dicor (black plastic tarp) underneath the slide, especially if you have rub bars that they slide over.
Hopefully with a little excercise it will get better and better.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:33 PM   #4
wargle

M.O.C. #14314
Living room slide won't retract

The battery is new, 850 amp deep cycle marine. I'll check the rams and lube everything to see if that helps. Let you know how it goes. Thanks.
wargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 07:25 AM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Looking at Trekwood ( for what thats worth) shows a lippert Hyd system...

If this is the case and the one slide is doing as described then I would check for external leak under coroplast.. If none seen by quick visual thru the ram hole then ( assuming the reservoir is full) I would cycle that slide (only) a few times to see if it got some air while sitting there for a long period..

You should have hyd control valves to shut off the other slides and just run that one..

It also could be the slide out cylinder is bypassing internally ..

Be sure to let the pump motor cool down between cycles so that you dont get it too hot...
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 10:31 AM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Just curious. I don't think Montana had 3 digit models. I had a 2005 2980, and know there were 3400s too. Is it a Montana or did you mistype the model number?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:00 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
http://tedsrv.rvusa.com/2006-keyston...er-mn-i1269889

https://www.smartrvguide.com/L50939877
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 06:39 PM   #8
wargle70

M.O.C. #14315
Living room slide won’t retract

I lubed the Ram rod, and the gears and sliders on the racks and was able to get the room in. I’m going to pack the wheel bearings and inspect/adjust the brakes. Then give the rooms a good work out. As far as I can tell there are no valves on the hydraulic lines to the rams. There’s a”T” in the extend and retract lines. Two lines go to the bedroom slide and two head back to the Other two slides. When the extend switch is pressed the bedroom slide goes out first, then the entertainment and last the living room/dinette. Retracting follows the same order. Maybe it had something to do with the weight of each slide. Thanks for everyone’s help!!!
wargle70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 06:46 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargle70 View Post
I lubed the Ram rod, and the gears and sliders on the racks and was able to get the room in. I’m going to pack the wheel bearings and inspect/adjust the brakes. Then give the rooms a good work out. As far as I can tell there are no valves on the hydraulic lines to the rams. There’s a”T” in the extend and retract lines. Two lines go to the bedroom slide and two head back to the Other two slides. When the extend switch is pressed the bedroom slide goes out first, then the entertainment and last the living room/dinette. Retracting follows the same order. Maybe it had something to do with the weight of each slide. Thanks for everyone’s help!!!

It’s hydraulic so the lightest or easiest to move moves first. It’s normal.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:53 PM   #10
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargle View Post
I have a 2006 329 RLS. It's been in my barn for four years due to my wife's health problems, but I think we're finally ready to take it out. The slides have been out (mistake) during this time. The bedroom slide retracts like it should. the hydraulic pump sounds normal. Then the entertainment slide starts but slows down after traveling in a few inches. The pump sounds like it's struggling, but it finally makes it in. by this time the pump sounds like it has stopped. holding the retract switch down only causes the living room/dinette slide to creep in a couple of inches and I can't hear the pump running. I'm connected to shore power and the battery is fully charged. If I reverse to extend, the slides will extend like they should. Plenty of fluid in the reservoir. This is a HydraGear slide out system according the coach owner's manual.

Any help would greatly appreciated..
You need a strong battery, the shore power feed is too weak. Shore power 12V is maybe 50A, the hydraulics take more. If it's a hybrid battery more than a couple years old it can't do the job unless you can spread it out over 2 days.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:53 AM   #11
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had a 2006 Montana. If my memory is correct, there were knobs near the fluid reservoir that could shut down each slide. Maybe one of the knobs is turned 'almost' closed and restricts the flow. Just a thought................

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote