Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2020, 08:25 PM   #1
luckeyd
Established Member

M.O.C. #25356
New queen mattress

Replaced the king mattress with a thicker but same length queen, gel foam memory. Question I have is new mattress is 4 inches taller than old king and when slide is in, mattressis against wall at head of bead and mashed against dresser. King mattress fit under top drawer handles and new mattress is tight against them. Should I be concerned? Both mattresses measured 80 inches. Thanks

luckeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:56 AM   #2
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
I am going to do the same thing when our new camper arrives. I am just going to follow this thread! Hopefully the mattress works!
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:07 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
We swapped out the OEM “mattress” with a foam mattress we had purchased at Sams for our previous RV. The bedroom slide is a schwintek slide (not hydraulic). The mattress does fit tight up against the dresser, however the slide snugs up to the camper wall with a good seal. Schwintek instructions say to keep pushing the button for at least 3 seconds after it stops moving to set the “stop” position. I do that going in and going out with the slide. We have never had a problem.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 06:57 AM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
When I replaced the OEM pad (it sure wasn't a mattress!) with a Simmons, found that the extra 4-5 inches of height caused large lumps on my head since I kept bashing it on the slide ceiling edge. My fix was to pull out the platform and cut 4" from the height. No more head bumps and no more hitting the top dresser handles. The minor loss of storage for us was negligible and my wife no longer needed a step stool to get into bed with the Simmons mattress
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
Trvlyr's
Established Member

M.O.C. #25164
Yep excellent upgrade! We recently replaced the OEM king non-mattress with a bedinthebox.com 11" queen memory foam after cutting down the platform sides. We can now easily make up the bed and walk down the sides and our adjacent cabinets are now much more accessible and user friendly. Ironically, I was adamant about the king size when we purchased the unit....oh well.
Trvlyr's is offline   Reply With Quote