Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2006, 05:58 AM   #1
wkranz

M.O.C. #5259

Hello to all,

We are Bill and Carolyn and have just purchased a F350 Ford Diesel to pull our new 2006 Montana 3500RL. Have the new truck and it is a real please to drive. Plan to pickup the 5th Wheel this weekend. We live in Milton, FL and will pickup the RV in Panama City. First time pulling a trailer so expect to have some exciting experiences on the way home as we will drive on country roads as well as Interstate 10.

wkranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your two great purchases. I do hope that I-10 in the Florida panhandle is better than it is in Louisiana. But you'll find that the Montana is a dream to pull and the smoothness of the ride will vary from road to road. Safe travels and we're really glad you joined the forum.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
welcome and congrats! take it slow and you'll do fine.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Welcome and congratulations on the F350 and the Montana. I have a sneaking suspicion that you will enjoy both AND have some exciting adventures to boot!

Let us know how everything goes.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:07 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Howdy Bill & Carolyn and welcome to the MOC family. Being a GMC man I can't comment on your TV but you made a great choice with the Monty. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised as to how easily it tows.

Keep us up to date on how things go.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Welcome to the family. I'm sure you will love your combination of truck and Monty! By the way, we are very familure(?) where you are from. We have friends living in Jay and will be visiting them in June. We will be bringing our Monty with us and spend a couple weeks there. When the time gets closer, we'll see if we can get together then.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Bill & Carolyn, Welcome to the forum and congrats on your great choices. Hope you will have many safe and happy miles in your new wheel estate! Will be looking forward to hearing all about your adventures.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #8
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Bill & Carolyn, Welcome to the family and congrats on a fine rig you have. Keep us posted.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Your brilliance is showing both in your choice of coach and tow vehicle. Congratulations!! All of us made that first trip and survived. This should give you encouragement. Advice is not always welcome, so let me just suggest you back off from the vehicle in front of you a bit more than you may have been inclined to do in you car. You have a lot of weight to get stopped. You gonna have a blast. Happy RVing...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:47 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Oh and make wide turns!
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:38 PM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Most Important CONGRATULATIONS. You say this is your first time pulling a trailer. I suggest you find a parking lot close to your dealer and practice corners, practice corners, and practice corners. The fifth wheel will cut them a lot shorter than your tow vehicle. Since going around in circles will be tiring real quick try backing a little and do not be afraid to use a spotter. Then, yep you guessed it. Practice corners. Take it easy and do not be afraid to admit a mistake and try again. Hurting self-pride is a lot better than hurting that new TV or Monty.
Best of luck and tow safe.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:36 AM   #12
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new Montana. We hope you have many happy miles and safe travels. This forum is a great place to get questions answered and help with problems that might pop up. Enjoy
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:25 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard and congratulations! As an owner of a similar tow vehicle I feel qualified to say you made an outstanding choice! Likewise with buying a Montana.

You'll find the Montana tows beautifully. Just watch the turns and overhead obstacles, expecially wires, trees, and filling station canopies.

Good luck and enjoy.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:10 AM   #14
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Welcome aboard. Just take it easy and don't forget what is behind you. It isn't really all that difficult. I know you'll enjoy the Monty.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:53 AM   #15
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Welcome Bill & Carolyn. As a 1 year veteran I can identify with your concerns, which I still have. The MOC group was a big help and answered many questions about my rig & TV. There is a recent thread on MOC about the problems members experienced with hauling their units. It is actually a good reference tool because most of us have experienced similar problems one time or another. Best advice I received was to take everything slow: backing up, pulling into gas stations, etc. You are in for a great experience.
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:04 PM   #16
wkranz

M.O.C. #5259
Well, I read all you encourgements and we picked up our Montana yesterday. We took US 98 back to Fort Walton and then RR 331 to I10. We experienced in town, country, and Interstate driving and I will have to say it was a pleasure. Hardly felt the RV behind the F350 and on the Interstate when tractor trailers passed hardly new they were there. Got home and had not problem backing in down our driveway....didn't hit any trees and got it in the backyard without any problem. Looking forward to our first trip which we are planning for second week in February. Thanks to all for the great advice.
wkranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:41 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Bill
So glad to hear everything went well for you. Keep telling us of your adventures. If you backed down the driveway without problems, you accomplished more than many seasoned RVers.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:59 PM   #18
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Welcome to the MOC, and congradulations on your New Unit!! RV Connections is a very friendly place to purchase your unit. I'm sure you will enjoy your new Montana.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:01 AM   #19
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Welcome, Bill and Carolyn. We bought our Montana in Panama City three years ago. Our first night in it was on Grand Lagoon in St. Andrews State Park. RV Connections has been fine although we live about 600 miles away.

We traveled those same roads you mentioned (and have several times). Our favorite spot of all has been Ft. Pickens in the National Seashore. We have been staying there for over 40 years, starting while it was still Ft. Pickens State Park. We are deeply saddened by the destruction of the hurricanes. It may never be the same, but we hope to camp there in the future.

And BTW, I note that the little signature photo below was taken in the Ft. Pickens campground a couple of years ago.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote