Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
CGs on Joe Poole Lake Texas

Going to the Texas State Fair first or second week of Oct.. 2 cgs on this lake Cedar Hill State Park or Lloyd Park.. Can you recommend 1 over the other for easiest access to State Fair or 1 cg is better than the other. Driving time to
fairgrounds? Where is easiest parking at Fairgrounds? Any other MOCs going to be there about this time?

tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
From either park I would go up to I-20, east on I-20 to I-45, north on I-45 to I-30, east on I-30 to 2nd Avenue. I-45 typically has less traffic than I-35E. And also skirts around the I-30 downtown corridor that can often be very slow.
Lots of parking on fair grounds. Been a few years but last time we parked in lot 5B. Very convenient but may be full if you arrive late. Don’t park in the off site places where there are people trying to wave you into their yards.

https://fairpark.org/images/pdfs/fai...arking-map.pdf
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
TX state fair

It has been a while since we stayed at either Loyd Park or Cedar Hill. We stay at Traders Village when I work in Dallas and need to drive downtown to the office. Traders Village would be easier access to the state fair than the places on joe pool lake (IMHO).

I have read posts from folks here about a place on the east side of dallas called Plantation Place RV Park. It looks nice. We intend to stay there on one of our future trips. Access to the state fair would be good from there - maybe better than any of the other places.

Our personal favorite campground in DFW is The Vineyards in Grapevine. The rush hour traffic and construction on the route to the fair would not be fun for sure - but maybe you don’t have to travel to the fair during rush hour. The Vineyards was flooded earlier in the summer and they have been repairing and upgrading the sites that were damaged. We were there in August and there was still several sites that were closed waiting on a fix.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote