Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2023, 06:56 PM   #1
rubio171
Established Member

M.O.C. #33123
Pin box upgrade

I’m looking to upgrade from the Roto Flex pin box that is on my 3811ms to a Gen-Y or a trail air with the air bag and shock to cut down on the beating the trailer front section takes going down the road. Gen Y or Trail Air, which one and why?

rubio171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 08:32 AM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I installed a Reese 5th Airborne. It completely eliminated bucking and chucking. I used to "grit my teeth "everytime we crossed a bridge transition. No more. It was less expensive than the Trailair, and the airbag is inside the unit so it's not exposed to uv rays.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 08:52 AM   #3
Jay & Bobbie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32306
I would like to change as well. My reason may be different from you; however, the Gen Y is one to consider. The other on my list is the Reese Goose box. I currently pull with the Anderson because the pyramid is easily removable, and I can tow other gooseneck trailers easily. The Anderson also does not have the cushion I would like.
I did tow someone else's fiver that has a goose box and it towed like a dream.
Between your two choices, I would go with the Gen Y to have the flexibility I mentioned. But that's me.
I am personally leaning towards the goose box.
Jay & Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 09:39 AM   #4
Cbarnes890

M.O.C. #32603
Pin Box Upgrade

ALCON

If you are looking for a better smoother ride for both the truck and the RV I would suggest looking a a new hitch. We tow our Monty with a pin weight of 3900lbs using the Hesley Trailer Saver BD5F. Truck rides excellent across bridge transitions and the trailer arrives at the destination without our belonging be bounced around inside. It a beefy hitch with three air bags and four shocks. Below is their website.

https://hensleymfg.com/collections/t...-wheel-hitches
Cbarnes890 is offline   Reply With Quote