Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2005, 04:24 AM   #1
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Speaker upgrade

I decided to replace my entertainment center and speakers soon after buying my 2005 3255RL. The quest system and speakers are pure junk in my mind! I decided on a Sony Dream system with Sony speakers. The Sony fits perfectly in the slot previuosly occupied by the quest, and looks like this.

The Sony cube speakers are a little bigger than the original ones, so you have two choices. Enlarge the existing speaker holes, or mount them externally. I decided to mount them externally, and thought long and hard, how best to achieve this. I decided to use a 1/8 thick piece of black achrillic to act as a mounting plate. It covers up the holes, and looks quite good. Here are a couple of final shots of the speakers.

I also replaced the rear speakerers with the same cubes which is easy to do. The improvement in sound quality is impressive, and the Sony unit is a lot easier to use.

mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 05:37 AM   #2
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Mike,

Great job! I keep reading the posts on the upgrades on the, I agree, junk, that comes with the Montana. Upgrading is definitely on my top ten list of improvements to do.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Mike,

Looks really good and the sound must be even better. Nice upgrade!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Great pics.

I am finally at the point where I will begin installing the new system this week, however, I would rather moutn them the same way, in the wood.
Anyone have any ideas on how to enlarge the current holes without making a huge mess?

I will post pictures later on this week, once I have it all completed.

Thanks
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Great looking system. We are about read to do the same with our system as well. I wish Keystone would do a recall and replace the Quest systems. I know that will happen only when pigs fly.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:56 PM   #6
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Tex,

I wrote to Keystone, and they ended up sending me some money back for returning the quest unit to them, $195.

Also, i just finished the wood work in mine for the new speakers. Where they are mounted was only held in by screws, very easy to remove and make the hols bigger, and reinstall, instead of covering them, and hanging the speakers. I should have most of it finished tomorrow, or in the next few days. I will post some before and after pics when it is complete.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
Finally got the project done, however, I cant upload the pictures, I am sorry.
THey look great, i have some before and after shots, along with how to disassembel the entertainment centr. Those who are doing the upgrade, let me know, and I can put something together and email it to you.

Definatly an Outstanding upgrade.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:28 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We just replaced our Quest unit last weekend. Found one bad speaker on the rear. Instead of a Theatre in a Box, went with modular. The Yamaha surround receiver is great with our DirecTV receiver. Had a hard time finding small replacement speakers, but found some at Fry's Electronics (www.outpost.com). This system is overkill for the Montana, but at around $200, you can replace the Quest box with home quality equipment. Speakers can be from $40 a piece on up. The test tones allow you to tune the system to the unit. I should be able to provide sound to the whole campground, if I so desire (and don't mind getting kicked out). I suppose the next upgrade will be the HD television.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote