Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2020, 11:49 PM   #1
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Mice/wiring

Has anyone had problem with mice chewing wiring in walls?

shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Don't know how they'd get into the exterior walls, you must be referring to an interior wall?

Mark
Old 02-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
Jeffrey
Established Member

M.O.C. #22834
Mice are a curious rodent, I have in the past had problems. But since I have use every remedy out there , I use them all including electronic pest control that you plug in, dryer sheets, fresh cab packs, white led lights around the bottom of you RV and leave your RV plugged in all year, I haven't had any problems. I have learned that there is no 1 (one) remedy, you have to use many! This has worded for me the last few years.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Mice are a curious rodent, I have in the past had problems. But since I have use every remedy out there , I use them all including electronic pest control that you plug in, dryer sheets, fresh cab packs, white led lights around the bottom of you RV and leave your RV plugged in all year, I haven't had any problems. I have learned that there is no 1 (one) remedy, you have to use many! This has worded for me the last few years.
The problem with throwing a number of solutions at a problem is that you don’t always know which one worked.

We had mice chewing the wires of our former truck, a 2006 GMC 2500. It turned out that the manufacturers use soy based wire covering, which mice like to eat. How smart is that?!

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:12 PM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Very few wood 2x4 walls in these designs, only four in mine and no mouse chewed wires. Most of the wires run in the attic where all are just lying there. Had mice in the belly and in the furnace ducts and in the wood wall that is part of the kitchen...but they didn't go after the wires...ma bye because I terminated their butts before they got to it.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #6
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
the reason I know that they are mice is that my Fantastic fan in the kitchen quit and after I removed the switch from the wall if found that the wiring was chewed into pieces. the bathroom fan wrong. meaning to say Off does not work, open tries to close hitting on several time turns it off but opening and closing has to be done manually. Also my central vac has quit. I have not been able to locate the wiring for that but suspect that it is also chewed. Getting the walls opened up and wiring repaired is going to be speedy and I do not suppose Good Sam extended warranty will be of any help.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:42 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don’t think there is any way to control mice once they invade. I’ve tried everything. There is a way to control an invasion, stop it before it starts. I live on a farm with a barn and hay cattle feed and a tractor shed. This isn’t worse case but it’s worse than most people have. I have learned to control them before they get started. I’ve had them in my camper and my truck. They ate the wiring in my motorcycle. They get in my tractor and run out when it’s started. What I’ve been doing for several years is put out bait boxes I get from tractor supply. Dead mice don’t multiply and the baby’s don’t invade. I’ve never had any stink up my camper. Get 4 of these boxes put 2 at the wheels and 2 at the landing gear. Keep them full of bait and you will get rid of them. Or at least that is it’s worked for me. I haven’t had a problem for a few years. The Tomcat boxes come in two sizes. Get the big ones. They carry 12 baits instead of 8 like the small ones and are much easier to open. Be sure to tie them down because they will disappear.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:23 PM   #8
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Never had mice in our 2017 Montana, but then in our brand new SOB, we found 10 of them living in our basement congregating near my gas BBQ. So after cleaning up every single trace we could find of them every where, I did what works up here in Tahoe for me, I got those electronic rodent deterrent devices that are for under the hood of your car, they run off 2 C batteries and last about 8-12 months before battery replacement is needed. They have worked really well up here, so I put two in the basement of the 5th wheel, and spread out three in the RV. I also take Irish Spring soap bars, and cut them in half, and put each half in the lowest center of the wheels. They really hate this smell, and going up your wheel is their usual mode of entry, since they can not shimmy up the slick shaft of the level jacks. So far we have not seen any sign of mice again, and our pest guy said once they get into your RV they leave fermones sp? that attract other mice for quite a while! So I guess we are over powering them by the 4 pieces of Irish Spring soap, and the electronic rodent deterrent devices you can get on Amazon for $20 each. Here is the link for those devices. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-23-2020, 04:40 PM   #9
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
I've had good luck playing a radio to keep them out. It stays on 24/7. Presently I use a radio to keep rats and mice out of a 4,000 square foot storage building. I've also put a few moth balls in the lower storage of my 5th wheel with good success. I remove them a few days before we use it. Moth balls also work good for keeping wasps, spiders, and mud dobbers out of the back side of the refrigerator. So far, so good.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #10
BobStack
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25753
I own Cranberry Bogs and use Mouse Free on all of my equipment and My 3871RL every year. Not only have I never seen a mouse but it keeps the undercarriage of my 3871 like brand new!!

https://www.amazon.com/Mouse-Free-Ro...39PC8TPPQ2W21D
BobStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #11
Rollinspo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I had problems with mice in our C class. Wiring , ate the windshield washer tank since they make them out of soy base material that the like to eat. I got a electronic pest control that wires to the vehicle battery. It stopped the mice for several years. When I traded up to our Montana I transferred it to the Montana and hope it works as well.
Rollinspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:42 AM   #12
cronedon

M.O.C. #18120
Mice - A/C and Slide Wiring

2005 - 3400RL: moved my slide switch from the wall inside, to the front basement right beside the hydraulic pump. Mice had obviously chewed the wiring.

After not having central air for 3 years, I ran a new control wire (4 conductor telephone wire) across the ceiling to the remote receiver. Mice again had probably chewed the wire. IMPORTANT - normal telephone cable won't work unless you cut the cable and simply reverse the connector at one end. That's all you get when you pay $37 for the special RV control cable!
cronedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:54 AM   #13
Werikson

M.O.C. #25746
I've found this repellent to work the best: https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Mouse-...2552379&sr=8-5
Old 02-27-2020, 03:50 PM   #14
Vagabond
Established Member

M.O.C. #19108
I have heard some insurance companies will cover rodent damage.
Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote