Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
Esib

M.O.C. #26484
Electrical issues

I lost power to my ceiling fan, microwave and about 2/3rds of my Outlets. In a 2015 3710fl. I have checked all the breakers and they appear to be fine.

Esib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Electrical issues are probably the more difficult of problems to pinpoint for many RV owners. Sometimes flipping your breaker off and then back on solves the issue as you really can't tell by looking sometimes. Get a meter and check to see if there is power going out of your breakers, then start checking junction boxes under the slides. Pull the cover off the converter (with the power cord disconnected) and tighten all screw for the wire connections. Most wall receptacles are hooked in a circuit with a GFI receptacle. Make sure it hasn't tripped. The microwave is most times on its own circuit.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #3
GO ARMY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esib View Post
I lost power to my ceiling fan, microwave and about 2/3rds of my Outlets. In a 2015 3710fl. I have checked all the breakers and they appear to be fine.
check you GFCI
Air lift airbag, Trail air pin box, IS and Disc Brakes
GO ARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If you have a 50A RV, Look at your breaker panel. You will have 2 50A breakers tied together. The breakers on the left go to one leg of your 50A circuit (L1). The breakers to the right go to the other leg of your 50A circuit (L2).
If all the affected equipment is on one of these legs you are missing that leg.
Start at the pedistal and verify everything is good. Then work forward.
If you have a generator or solar with a transfer switch, this can complicate tracing/Troubleshooting.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:39 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree with Daryl. Sounds like you lost one leg of the 50 amp service losing that many outlets. Using a meter verify you have power to both legs of the pedestal outlet. If so, then verify you have power in your breaker panel to both sets of breakers. If you have power to the pedestal but not to both sets of breakers then you know the problem is some where in between. Requires step by step troubleshooting.

One problem that has occurred to several members is burned wire connections in the receptacle on the trailer where you plug your power cord in. I would start by using your meter to verify you have power to both hots at the end of your power cord. If not, then a power cord issue. If you do, then remove the receptacle from the trailer and check the wiring on the back of it.

Transfer switches are sometimes a problem, but more likely to lose both hot legs rather than just one.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #6
Stix
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25024
Electrical

Sounds like a wire came loose in one of your outlets from vibration if you have power elsewhere. I had this happen once and it was the outlet in the pass through which had one leg that had slipped out of the wedge fitting they use in RV outlets. Pushed the wire back into the copper wedge and everything came back on.
Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:23 AM   #7
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
May be rare but I did lose 1 leg of my transfer switch . I could manually push it in but it would not go in electrically.
Al Meyer
3931fb
Az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahdmeyer View Post
May be rare but I did lose 1 leg of my transfer switch . I could manually push it in but it would not go in electrically.
Yeah. When it comes to electrical problems your can’t automatically rule anything out.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Had the same problem, and never did find it. I have it plugged in 24/7 beside the house. We went to a DVR, went out to check it out ,no power to some of the outlets ,microwave etc. Noticed bringing in the left living room slide the fan light flickered ,and came on. I could get it to do that a couple times, then it never went out again, nor flickered . We spent a month this past winter moving around Arizona, and never had any problems. I checked everything suggested ,and could not find anything to make it duplicate the problem.

Good luck to the OP ,it was strange event , you would think you would eventually find a bad ground or loose wire, but I never did. I am wondering if I had an issue inside a wall, and it was intermittent , and possibly made contact, and never did it again, as crazy as that sounds . Anyway everything was working well when I sold it.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #10
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Make sure the twist plug is all the way in where it comes into the unit.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:53 PM   #11
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
if you have a multi meter you can troubleshoot whether you've lost a leg of 120 very quickly and easy inside your power distribution panel

if you have 120 VAC present at each 120 leg coming into power distribution center at the two 50 amp breakers then you know you have an outlet problem

if one leg is missing then you either have issues at park pedestal outlet or your RV power cable plug ends
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:03 PM   #12
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
A simple file illustrating how to verify you have 120 VAC service into your RV And up to the power distribution panel.... your panel will be similar to mine used in this file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AC Power Panel Voltage Check.pdf (982.2 KB, 81 views)
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:34 PM   #13
Esib

M.O.C. #26484
Problem solved

Loose wire in 50 amp box
Esib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #14
Sueburl

M.O.C. #25817
We had this too. Check where the power cord screws into the unit. Ours was loose, problem was solved with a screwdriver.
Sueburl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:16 PM   #15
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
Go Army is right

I have spent a lot of time looking for electrical problems. A lot of the time it is the GFI that is located in the bathroom. Always try that first. If not go on from there. I had a 12v issue, and had to replace the converter. All is well. Hope you find it. P.S. Tighten all your electrical connections in the box.
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:50 PM   #16
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Two more ideas

Check any GFCI Plugs. Typically one GFCI protects several outlets/devices.

Unplug from the 50A service and check for loose wires inside the Breaker panel in your Montana. The common wires are bundled together and held in place by a slug. If you find a loose or disconnected white (common) wire stick it back in the bundle it came out of if you can, or stick it in any open connection on the common buss bar, it doesn't matter where. Tighten them all down really good. While you're in there pull out every breaker, one at a time, and tighten them too.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote