Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
(*%$^%$*^()##@!!! Bad Day in Big Sky

WhoooBoy!! Sitting here in Savannah waiting on Dr. appts. and warranty parts to show up at service center in Fl. Closed up rig and went to dump, all went well. Got back to site and opened door to rig and there is the closet/WD door lying on the floor against fridge along with a scratch in fridge. The adjustable screw in the bottom of the door had stripped out and the door dropped out of upper track and crashed into the fridge. Tried to screw the adjustment screw out and it came out easily, TOO easily. Pushed it back into threaded sleeve with my thumb. (Not Good) there is no adjustment on top. Screwed it back out and wrapped a large wire tie wrap around between the end and sleeve. That at least got it to where the door would stay vertical. Pat myself on back, turn on lights and start shutting shades. D/N shade over dining table drops like rock. Screw on left string pulled out of wall got screwdriver with square tip and put screw back into wall, or tried to. While trying to get screw started left curtain hold down popped out off wall. Both screws had been over tightened during install and were stripped out. Soooo, re-attached left blind string screw gently and got that working ok. Then removed metal curtain hold down bar from bottom of curtain and tossed in drawer with three other bars that did same thing. Just to be safe I checked the right string screw and curtain hold down and same situation was present. Removed right hold down bar and placed in drawer with other family members. Re-attached right blind string. Noticed on both sides that these had been re-attached twice before on each side. There are a multitude of previously torn out holes on both sides. I am becoming afraid to touch anything for fear that it will pull off the wall. Have called service center in Fla and told them all of this. Then will just have to wait and see if or when Keystone decides to fix all this stuff. Everything has been fine till tha last month and now things are failing all over the place. GRRRRRRR!!! Beginning to wonder if we made a mistake in our choice... Dave and Betsy P.S. The pull cord on the fan lights just popped off inside of unit..

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Dave sorry to hear of your troubles. You do need to watch your language I covered my grandson's ears. I experience something of the same on a trip back from Florida. We pulled in to CG on return trip to find our Day Night shade valance and all laying on our table. The screws had pulled loose also. Dealer fixed it so no sweat. By the way I have been trying to kill that bug running around on my screen by your pictures. Guess I will have to go get a hammer - bug spray didn't work.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
A drill works fine for the bug...
Old 02-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sorry to hear of your issues on the 340 RLQ. We have that same unit and haven't had to deal with the problems you list. I know it can be sooooo exasperating. There is no question that the dealer/Keystone should repair your unit. The screws coming out like you describe is from over tightening by the installer in too big a hurry, too much torque on his driver, and just plain not being careful.

You probably know the old carpenter's trick of filling the screw hole with wood shavings or pieces of tooth pick and wood glue, then replacing the screw. Hoping things get better real quick for you two.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Dave, they ain't built like the stick house! Get you a box of those hollow wall anchors for the blinds and curtains; you'll need them. You would think when they framed the window openings, they would put something there for the screws, but no, they don't. Don't know about the W/D door, we don't have one, wish we did. Good luck.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well at least you did not have to lay under the camper with crap water spilling on your chest...yet....Be calm..breathe deeply and remember the ever repeated words.... It is just part of Rv'ing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
One thing I found pulling our monty around for the last 5 years is the tire pressure. The maximum for the tires is 80 psi. The dealer tire pressure recommendation on the plate on the outside of the trailer recommends 65. What pressure to use? This has been debated many times. What I found is if I used 80 it seemed like everything bounced all over the place. Doors popped open, even one of our recliners bounced into the wall and wore a hole in the curtain. AT 65 psi I get almost none of this. Occasionally, something opens up but that can happen anyway. My suggestion is to check what Keystone recommends and try that. It doesn't cost a thing.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Tim, the door dropped off on a new asphalt road after a drive of 400 feet at 5 mph. Wasn't a bounce problem, and we haven't had any real problems from bouncing even on I-95 in SC. This stuff is just low bidder stuff... Dave and Betsy
Old 02-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, Truly sorry to hear about your problems. I do hope Keystone makes it right. I smoetimes rue the day that they invented power screwdrivers. I had a problem with cabinet door hinges coming loose in my stick home. Called the builder and he sent a team to repair. I watched a young lady put in a larger screw and commenced to strip that one also with a power driver. Told her to leave and called the builder again. They then drilled out the holes. glued wooden dowels and redrilled the holes and replaced the hinges. Had no problems after that. I only offer this as a possible solution, I know there are other fixes possible also. Anyway, hope your day goes better. Good luck with Keystone....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:07 AM   #10
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Dave, Sorry to hear about all your problems...but like many have said before there just is not Quality Control in the RV industry. I hope Keystone will step up to the plate for you and fix it all. Good luck, and keep us informed.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:12 AM   #11
jars
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1529
We always carry epoxie with us just to fix things that come lose you never know when it's going to happen.

Richard E. Smith
jars
jars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:24 AM   #12
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
JARS; Any problems with your new rig? If so, I'll bet Nita can fix it!!!! Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote