Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2019, 05:23 AM   #41
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
TPMS >>> Don't leave home without it.

hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #42
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandBrenda View Post
Yes E rated tires is what came on it new. the new tires will be G rated 110 psi.
Also to consider, I put 14 ply G rated Hercules on my trailer. They too are to be pressured to 110. But I cant because the stock wheel is not rated for that pressure. For now I'm running 95 psig and in 3 or 4 years when I get new tires, I'll replace the wheels as well.
Not telling you what to do...just thought you may want to dig further.

No one ever thinks about the wheels. They have maximums and ratings to!
JAWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:20 AM   #43
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Bill-- what is the brand name and size rating of your tires. I've never seen any come out with a 95 lb pressure.
Our 2018 came with Rainier ST235/80R/16F tires. At least they are more accurately rated for our trailer. When I got them home I found they had 100psi in them. I've reduced that to just under 95psi.

So far just short trips. I've told my wife that we will be upgrading before any long trips.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #44
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWs View Post
Also to consider, I put 14 ply G rated Hercules on my trailer. They too are to be pressured to 110. But I cant because the stock wheel is not rated for that pressure. For now I'm running 95 psig and in 3 or 4 years when I get new tires, I'll replace the wheels as well.
Not telling you what to do...just thought you may want to dig further.

No one ever thinks about the wheels. They have maximums and ratings to!
How can I tell what the max tire pressure rating is for my wheels?
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #45
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahtrapper View Post
I have had 3 GY 614 Blow up in the past 3 years.
So last Monday on my way to Ririe Idaho around Pocatello Boom the 3rd blew.
So when I got to Rexburg stopped into Les Schwab and got 4 new Sailun 235/85/16 they also stated its the most popular Heavy Duty trailer tire.
Had them Balanced and my trailer has never road so smooth. Had them set to 100 psi.
Coming home Friday temps got to 102 degrees so with the 2% rule I was close.
TPMS will be on my next to do list
What is the 2% rule?
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #46
Utahtrapper
Established Member

M.O.C. #24481
From fulltilt

If you would allow me to point out a few important points, the pressure listed on the tire is calibrated for 70 degrees F, this is the temperature that many industries use as a basis, not just the tire industry, you extrapolate from there. So for every 10 degrees + or -, outdoor temperature, you have to alter your pressure by 2%. There is also an altitude adjustment but I haven’t felt the need to use that.
Utahtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #47
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
You should be able to find a casting or stamped number on the inside of the wheel that should designate what weight rate and pressure rate the wheel is rated for. My tire guy said my wheels are rated for 3750 in weight and 90 pounds of pressure. The wheels I will get are rated for 3950 / 110.
JAWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #48
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahtrapper View Post
From fulltilt

If you would allow me to point out a few important points, the pressure listed on the tire is calibrated for 70 degrees F, this is the temperature that many industries use as a basis, not just the tire industry, you extrapolate from there. So for every 10 degrees + or -, outdoor temperature, you have to alter your pressure by 2%. There is also an altitude adjustment but I haven’t felt the need to use that.
There are two approved sets of government regulations for setting and maintaining recommended cold tire inflation pressures. First is the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). Those standards guide the fitment and inflation pressures for all automotive vehicles, including RV trailers. Second is the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Their rules differ considerably from the FMVSS standards. Therefor, one is not applicable to the other.

The explanation of "cold inflation pressures" is determined by tire down time, meaning they have not been used or in highway service for at least three hours before inflation pressures are adjusted. In the lower 48 cold is cold. The recommended cold inflation pressure provided at 10,000 feet above sea level will still be correct at the vehicle manufacturers placard recommendations. Same for those tires at sea level. Increased inflation pressures acquired while in motion have been factored in during the manufacturing process for each tire. If you must have a specific answer, look-up tire thermodynamics and combine with tire equilibrium.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #49
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandBrenda View Post
Found Sailun S 637 235/80R16 at walmart for 130.00 each is this a good deal. just started shopping.
That's new didn't know wally world had the Sailun brand
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #50
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just be careful with those tires from Walmart, while the may carry the Sailun name they may not be the same tires you would buy from a major Tire Dealer, they may be made to a lower spec as dictated by Walmart.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #51
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Now for no-good tires. We joined the Big Bang Club yesterday. Traveling West on the Ohio Turn Pike, two miles from the Indiana border: "Boom" Curb side front tires explodes, and it's not a China Bomb, but a Goodyear G114 17.5 "H" rated tire, 4 1/2 years old. TPMS was showing all four tires running within a couple of pounds of each other and temps all very close. So I guess it our turn to see how good Sailuns really are, getting new tires and wheels delivered tomorrow.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:59 AM   #52
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
curious there stage coach driver.

tires say 95psi? what tires are these? E rated tires are 80psi and G rated tires are 110psi.

I guesss you ahve 'f' rated tires? that is something new to me for montana
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #53
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
curious there stage coach driver.

tires say 95psi? what tires are these? E rated tires are 80psi and G rated tires are 110psi.

I guesss you ahve 'f' rated tires? that is something new to me for montana
Yes, "F" rated tires at 95PSI. We talked about tires at our PDI and was told that Keystone was putting better tires on their rigs. They are still Rainier brand. Still wondering what this means for us personally for longevity.

Do "china bombs" get their reputation because manufacturers used under-rated tires that are destined to fail or because they are poorly made? I know this has been discussed at great length so not trying to re-open that one here. It just seems that perhaps the jury is still out on OEM tires that are actually correctly rated for the trailer.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #54
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post

Do "china bombs" get their reputation because manufacturers used under-rated tires that are destined to fail or because they are poorly made? I know this has been discussed at great length so not trying to re-open that one here. It just seems that perhaps the jury is still out on OEM tires that are actually correctly rated for the trailer.
There are literally millions of China made ST tires of all brands rolling on our freeways and byways. They could not survive this long if they did not meet the DOT inspection criterion. There would be numerous recalls that would remove them from service.

The long standing minimum fitment requirement for RV trailer tires is for them to equal the load capacity of the vehicle certified GAWRs. RV trailer manufacturers have the authority to set GAWRs. Therefore, trailers were fitted with tires that were going to be overloaded when the consumer loaded their trailer to the maximum allowed cargo capacity. It's very difficult to load a RV trailer with the weight distributed evenly across the axles. Those traveling heavy almost always have an axle overloaded or at least a single tire position overloaded. Without any load capacity reserves those overloaded tires were destined to fail, early.

The following reference provides proof of what I say. It's a copy of a picture I took some time ago at an RV show. The axles are certified 5200# by the axle manufacturer. Keystone certified them at 5080# so they could fit ST225/75R15D tires rated at 2540# to those axles. That practice was done by just about every RV trailer manufacturer. Thus, "China Bombs" were established.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...pictureid=6489
Old 07-17-2019, 01:22 PM   #55
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
CalandLinda - thanks, that is basically what I've suspected. It also appears that in 2017 the NHTSA increased the rating requirement for tires applied by the OEM's. I suppose, then, that it's possible that my OEM "F" tires should perform as expected if I keep adequate pressure in them. I'm still a little nervous about it given the "china bomb" horror stories for OEM tires but the combined rating on my tires is just under 16k lbs while my GVWR is 14K lbs.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #56
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
CalandLinda - thanks, that is basically what I've suspected. It also appears that in 2017 the NHTSA increased the rating requirement for tires applied by the OEM's. I suppose, then, that it's possible that my OEM "F" tires should perform as expected if I keep adequate pressure in them. I'm still a little nervous about it given the "china bomb" horror stories for OEM tires but the combined rating on my tires is just under 16k lbs while my GVWR is 14K lbs.
About 98% of the RV trailer manufacturers are members of the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA). RVIA recommended a 10% load capacity reserve above vehicle certified GAWRs for RV trailer tires. All new models from major manufacturers will be equipped with tires that meet the RVIA tire load capacity recommendation.

The FMVSS standards have not changed.

The end result has a sort of a trickle down effect on future replacements because U.S. tire industry standards require replacement tires to provide a load capacity equal to the Original Equipment tires.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #57
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Remember, the tires with the best reputation is Sailun. They are reasonably priced and made in China.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #58
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Now I'm just being a devil's advocate but I'm wondering how an "E" rated Sailun tire, made in China, would perform on a 14K GVWR trailer as compared to the OEM China made "E" rated tire. Would it become a "china bomb"?

They have a great reputation but have been purchased after the OEM fails. The failed under-rated tire is replaced by a Sailun "G" tire which performs great and develops a great reputation. Is it because it is over-rated for most trailers? I'm just curious. Would a Rainier (or another OEM brand) "G" tire perform as well as a Sailun "G" tire? Or is Sailun just built better?

Asked a different way...If the manufactures had been using "G" tires of any brand for the past few years would "china bombs" have even become a thing?

No response necessary. I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #59
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Sailuns are made in at least 3 Countries that I've seen labeled on their tires: China, Korea, and Vietnam. But following different forums, there have been more failures on Goodyear G614s and G114s then any Sailun. I just had a 4 year old G114 explode with no warning other than the BIG BOOM.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #60
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
China Bombs go back much further than a few years jsb.

They earned that reputation the old fashioned way. Among the worst tires to ever hit the asphalt were China made ST tires. For decades! Not just a few years.

I've had them blow on rv's, boat trailers and equipment trailers over the years. All rated at or above the load they were carrying. They were/are truly junk.

I swore off them many years ago. The one and only China made tire I'll even consider is the Sailun S637 and that's for the sole reason of many good reviews from our members here.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote