Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Sweating Wall

Took the sheets off the Bed today and the wall below the head Board is wet. Not just a little allot. The sheet along with the Mattress is wet. I dont think its leaking down from the ceiling on the bedroom slide because its not wet behind the headboard just below it down to the floor. Is it just sweating or do I have a leak? How do I stop it?

K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Where are you located, temperatures, humidity, rain recently? Occupied trailer, in storage, heat or A/C running?
Need more info so we can help.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
sounds like heavy condisation, cold wall outside,heat inside,poor insulation. can you pull your mattress forward a little to get a little air circulation there?
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Where are you located, temperatures, humidity, rain recently? Occupied trailer, in storage, heat or A/C running?
Need more info so we can help.
Ozz
Ozz We are in Western Washington, Temps have been in the Low 30's at night and Mid 50's during the day. Rain a few days ago. Occupied yes we are Full timeing, No A/C but heater is on for what good it does. On off On off every 4 to 6 minutes (Were taking it in Tuesday for that) We have a Dehumidifier but haven't got it out of storage yet.
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wet environment, heater not running enough to dry the unit out inside, along with showers and cooking, cold out, probably is sweating.
racerjoe is on it like a coat of paint
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
George and Karin-- If you do not have a leak somewhere then I would say need to be opening one of the power vents while you are cooking and taking showers. The moisture build up can be a real problem. The use of the dehumidifier would be a good idea also if you have one! We have found out we have a cold air space also at the head of the bed but we took a blanket and put it over the headboard and down the wall. That helped quite a bit but I'm sure it wouldn't help a moisture problem and possibly make it worse. IF you have not check the gaskets that go around the slide you might check them also for being curled under in places. We had a leak once and that was the problem. The gasket was not totally out and was rolled under and letting moisture(rain) in and it came down the wall to the floor and got the carpet wet. The only other thing that you might try is to remove the outer edge covering under the bedroom slide and put some insulation in there to stop the airflow up that wall. Maybe the dealer or RV Tech you are taking it in for the off/on problem with the heater can do that for you also. You've got a new unit so the warranty should cover that!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
We are here also in Western Wa. and I Have the Monty in a storage spot, since we get the apt free for working here. I have had our dehumidifier for four years. I use it when we come back here to Pacific NorthWest. I have been pulling at least a quart of water from the air each 24hr period. When it rains I get between 1/2 to 1 gallon in the same period. I also keep a oil filled radiator on low to keep a little heat in there. So far I don't see condesation anywhere. Good Luck.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Toxictretr

M.O.C. #11163
I full time in north western Washington. I to have a dehumidifier. We first bought one of the small ones and found that it just wouldnt keep up. I went to sears and bought a good one and that does the job most of the time. I get about 1-2 gallons (@ 40% humidity)a day if turned up to high. I have foung the same wetness as you and cant find anything wrong with the seals of any leaks. What I do find is that in any area that has poor circulation I do still see a small amount of condensation. If your beed room is like mine then there is not much circulation. I have told the wife we need more action in there but that didnt get me anywhere. Hope that gives you a better warm fuzzy feeling.
Toxictretr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Mine is always cold and sometimes damp if you put your hand down between the mattress and the wall in cold weather. I have thought about putting some styrofoam board there just to see if it would help. I'm still trying to decide how to fix it while I have alittle time at home.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bobby-- Since my unit is out at the farm, I can only guess how to get into the bottom of the bedroom slide, but I would think if you can take the bottom loose somehow with the slide out, you should be able to put some type of insulation up there. Even if it was some of the bubble wrap with foil on each side (I think that is what Montana is using at the factory to insulate some of the areas of the units anyway) and line the bottom and up the wall some with the insulation it should help some on the coldness. I hope to do this when I get my building put up and get the Monte in it to work on it before we leave in January to get away from the cold weather some this winter!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote