Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2005, 02:40 AM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Once you get used to a Montana.

Well, my wife and I went out and relaxed with a bottle of wine in our new Montana and what a relaxing little house on wheels they are. I ordered an outdoor weatherproof 50 amp box from Camperworld and I wired it up yesterday. Last year I tied into my house sewer system so I now have a full hook up spot beside my house and my Montana can be a little guest house if I need it to be.

We very nearly bought a lower priced line of 5th wheel and then thought because I only have 5 years before I retire, why not get what we really wanted. Since then we went back through a few of the lower priced lines we were considering. Wow, what a difference and once you get used to the high slide outs , the low slide out rooms just look like a head smacker and we are not tall people.

All the Montana models are absolutely beautiful and think what you would to have to spend on a Motorhome to get this kind of liveability.
We have been in Diesel pusher busses that did not impress us any more than our Montana. We have shown several people through the unit and everyone is very impressed with the design and features.

Thanks again for this wonderful website which is kind of like the icing on the cake as far as being a Montana owner and it is a great place for people with good taste to meet and exchange ideas.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:07 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We totally agree with you about the Montana. We looked at every brand out there before we bought and we are convinced we made the right decision. And we agree about the MOC also. After you come to one of the rallys, you will be even more impressed with the wonderful people on this forum. So glad you are enjoying your new Montana.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:40 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been thinking about adding the 50Amp service to the house for the new 3670 as 30amp service is all we needed for the TT.We also have sewer hookup along side the house and also sometimes use the camper as a guest bedroom. However unless you were using everything at once why would we need the 50 amp service.There were times when we only used the 20 amp service for the TT and as long as you did not run the A/C microwave and furnace at the same time 20amps was OK. I am thinking 30 amp service is plenty?? just a thought... We have a empty 60 amp breaker that was on the electic furnace at one time so it would be no big deal to run a line to a 50Amp box..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:13 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I had a 30 amp service installed for my 3670. I do not have a washer/dryer or the 2nd AC so I really did not see a need to install a 50amp service.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:40 AM   #5
THE BAILEY BEARS
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #300
We would agree. We love our Montana!
THE BAILEY BEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:36 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
When Lorraine and I started looking we did pretty much the same as you. We spent months looking at everything from TT's to Class A's. But when push came to shove we new there was only one RV for us and that was the Montana and we have never looked back. As far as the MOC, I consider everyone on here as my extended family. We have the best RV and the greatest RV family. Life is good!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I agree that all you really need is a 30 amp outlet at your home or even a 20 amp if you are careful. I only went 50 amp because when I built the house 28 years ago I put a welding outlet in my workshop and I never used it so it was just easier for me to stick with 50 amp.

I have ordered the 50 to 30 amp pigtail from Camperworld and a 25' 30 amp cord and I think I will use that most of the time. I do have the little washer/dryer so if we want to have the A/C on, use the convection oven and do a load of washing I will use that horrible stiff 50 amp line.
It would be nice to have a nice flexible 50 amp line and that will go on my wish list. All the 30 amp cords I had in all my other units were nice to handle, not this 50 amp cable that came with our new Montana. It is about the only thing I don't like and maybe in the summer heat it will become more flexible.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:18 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I can relate to Glenn. We did the about the same thing... two years looking at everything. We spent most of time looking at Class A's. This past year we decided to stop at a nearby dealer, and we really were stunned at what the 5th wheel had to offer. We then started concentrating on 5vers and I think it was the fourth dealership we went into that was a Montana dealer. The second unit we looked at was the 3400. Cheryl locked right up. The search was over. I still have been out looking around, but all of sudden I was extremely disappointed in the other brands. Low head room in the bedroom, split level floors in the bedroom, low clearance inside the slides, compared to the Montana. Also, came close to hitting my head going out the door of others. I'm 6'2", but I felt even someone 6' would have to be careful. I couldn't believe that I didn't notice these things BEFORE I was in a Montana.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:24 PM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
This is our 3rd 5th wheel and we finally got it right this time! We love our Montana. Everyone that has seen it is impressed.
We also consider the MOC people our friends.
Congratulations on your new Montana!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:22 AM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Like others, we are happy with our choice of a Montana (second one). After we finally bought our Montana, we were left with nothing to look for at RV shows, so we played the game, "if we spent the same money (TV & 5er), what could we get in a Class A?" Boy, was that an eye opener!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:33 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our first decision we the choice between a class A and a fifth wheel..it was easy.Counter space.The class A just does not have the counter space..and the fifth wheel has MORE livable room for the same size unit.In a class A the front of the unit is a truck.We looked and toured plants and sold RV's for many years. We had narrowed our search to three units..The pilgrim Open Road, Forest River Cardinal and Keystone Montana..In my opinion all comparable units in fact I think one of them is of better overall quality that the Montana...However you have to look at the big picture..Montana is a fine unit ,as someone pointed out , although Helen and I are NOT tall folks,if you are 6 foot or over you have problems standing up in most campers, not Montana and..the biggie,,Keystone's customer support.We always ask the dealer, no matter what the brand, about the manufacture and warranty work.Keystone /Montana gets high marks.,So the Montana is our choice..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 05:38 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Then there's "Jack's" (Robert DeNiro) Class A on "Meet the Fockers".

KEVLAR sides w/ unbreakable glass... He had Ben Stiller throw a brick at it... just bounced off. Also had a High Tech command center under the bed. AWESOME!! Also liked the full screen caller ID in the cab. I liked the scene where a stunt driver threw it into a 180¼ skid. Left a LOT of rubber on the road.

I didn't catch the manufacture of this unit, but it was prevalent throughout the movie. Usually the mfr donates something like this to a movie set in return for flashing their name occassionally. I didn't notice... but maybe they did.

*On Edit ~ It's a Fleetwood. Also 2" thick plexiglass windows.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:44 AM   #13
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
dsprik, "Jacks" class A was a Fleetwood.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #14
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We put in a 50 amp service and were very glad we did as we needed the AC when we arrived in Texas. We had built a double car garage with garaport on our son's property and that is our home base. We use the 50 amp while there and leave it there when we travel. We too looked at everything and kept coming back to the Montana and we haven't been sorry. Just wish we could have started fulltiming sooner.

Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, DHenry! Didn't look like they were trying to show it off too much... one shot of DeNiro in the front of it with just the "...twood" showing. Maybe the producers didn't want Fleetwood's endorsement, or maybe Fleetwood couldn't come to terms on a deal and refused to let the producers show a full name. Every scene is exactly set up on purpose. It was not an accident that DeNiro was partially blocking the name. Didn't look too close. Maybe there were more shots of Fleetwood's name. It just seemed to be kept low key. Still like the control center under the bed.

Just an off the cuff thought... maybe Fleetwood wanted a low profile so customers didn't flock in requesting the Kevlar outer shell with 2" thick tinted plexiglass options, or any of the other stuff that the producers obviously modified??? I know I'm really reaching now... must be my bedtime.