Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2005, 02:27 AM   #1
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
"SNOW"

Well right on time, mother nature sent a ground covering of the white stuff. Today is opening day of gun season for our dear hunting. My hubby and I's sure many other hunters are very happy to see this white stuff! All it does for me is make me want to get that Monty loaded so we can head south for the winter!! We are in northern MI and it is time to get out of Dodge!

rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:26 AM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
No snow here but have tornada warnings until 5.00 p m. We plan on leaving the 15 th of Dec. for RGV. The deer in our area are coning in town saw where one was hit by auto & killed 4 blocks from downtown Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:03 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It snowed for a couple of hours here in Independence, MO, this morning. Huge flakes. It was really pretty watching it and even better that it didn't stick. The ground is still too warm. But winter has arrived. The forecast low for tonight is 24 and tomorrow night 20. I see the wind chill when I need to leave for Topeka at 8am tomorrow is forecast to be 14. I am not ready for this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:06 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
It's like hot here in Collyfornya.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
"SNOW" How dare you use such filthy four letter words. You should have your mouth washed out with soap. Do us a favor please keep it to yourself.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Snow, that's nothing..We are under a Tornado watch here in Northern Ohio.It is warm and calm right now but am looking at the national weather service on the PC and it does not look good..Come to think of it we will take the snow>>>>>

6:50Pm EST.Looking at weatherunderground.com a really good doppler weather radar.See a cell just noth of Pelee point Canada with winds of 69 K moving directly toward London, Ont out of the SW at 230
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:37 PM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Our first winter OUT of it. What took us so long?
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:17 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I am like oh so happy I'm not there. Not sure where we will land when we grow up but it WILL NOT BE WHERE THERE IS SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPERATURES. 20 years was enough of that. When I was little and broke my nose they couldn't take me to the Dr. because we were having an Ice Storm (common in Southeastern Kansas). I have suffered with it all my life and I always think of snow when it bothers me.
Happy trails..............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Lots of bad weather from a 80¼ to 30¼ difference over only a couple hundred miles. Sue, it supposed to get pretty bad tomorrow night here. 3 to 5 inces with 35 mph winds. Our first lake effect event of the year here in Antrim county. Could be worse... look up the W. U.P. for tonight. This is the forecast for Ishpeming and Negaunee, just west of Marquette ~

Statement as of 4:25 PM EST on November 15, 2005

... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 6 PM EST
Wednesday...

A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 6 PM EST Wednesday.

Greater snowfall amounts will occur over the higher terrain areas
from Negaunee and Ishpeming... to Witch Lake and the Huron Mountains.
By midnight 3 to 5 inches of snowfall will accumulate in this
area... with an additional 6 to 10 inches of snowfall by Wednesday
morning. Another 3 to 6 inches of accumulation can be expected by
late Wednesday afternoon as the snow transitions to lake effect
snow showers. Northwest winds gusting to 40 mph late tonight and
Wednesday will further reduce visibility... especially in open areas.

If you add that up that's up to 21 inches (with a little breeze to help it along) by 6 PM tomorrow.

I wonder how a Montana would do in that? At least you wouldn't have to worry about skirting... the snow would be it.

Lots of really bad weather at the south end of this same system... Keep your head down Rich! And everyone else that this system is blasting over.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:34 PM   #10
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
It was 82 degrees here today. What is this talk about snow?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:39 PM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We're on the wrong side of the country apparently, Doug... Pressure is at 29.30 (992 milibars) and dropping fast here. That's a pretty fair low pressure system... especially for a land based cyclone!
Old 11-15-2005, 03:51 PM   #12
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Snow and cold here in Colorado too, it was a high of 34 today, too cold too fast. UGH!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:30 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dont have any of that nasty stuff yet up here in Washington yet. Started plugging the truck in tonight as them temps are supposed to be 18-20 for the over nite. Sure helps the diesel start easy and warms up much faster in the morning.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Even Alabama is supposed to have freezing temps tonight, but we got a much needed 4+ inches of rain as we slept. The ground is so dry that it's all soaked up. I think the trees are singing.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:40 AM   #15
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have snow on the ground now. Snowed Monday night. Usually doesn't last with the high altitude, but had 30 degrees for the high yesterday.

Last night was a bright moonlit night and I saw 3 deer in our back yard last night. Woke up around 2 AM and saw the cat looking at something out deck door and that was what he saw.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:26 AM   #16
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
3-4 inches of the white stuff here in NW Iowa as well. Sure is making Texas look better and better all the time.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:02 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
David, Not everyone knows what Lake effect is as it only occurs two places in the world..The Great Lakes being one of them. Our part of Northern Ohio IS NOT in the primay or secondary snow belt.We can have clear ground here and 7 miles Esat of us 20 inches of snow,However I am bringing the snow blowers up to the garage today...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:15 AM   #18
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Just returned Friday from 10 days in CA, southern NV and southern UT. Had snow on the ground when we arrived home, but daytime temps have been in the 50's so it is almost all gone now - hooray!! Nighttime temps have been in the 20's - too early for all that!! Hopefully next year we will join some of you down south!!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:08 AM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Lake effect snow is snow that hits "Snow Belt" areas and happens when cold (usually NW) wind (eg 10¼~20¼) passes over a large body of relatively warm (40¼~50¼) water (Lake Michigan, Lake Erie). The surface air warms, picking up moisture that it couldn't hold before. As this warmer air rises up into the cooler upper air, clouds and moisture condense out... SNOW. As long as this cold NW wind continues, it's like a conveyor belt.

Here, in the NW Lower Pennisula of Mich, we get a LOT of snow that they don't get even 30 miles away. We can have 50% to 200% more snow in a winter here, than the rest of the non~snowbelt areas. In Antrim Co, and some of the surrounding counties, we are considered to be in a "Snow Belt". This is also why we have such a large concentration of Ski Resorts in this part of the state.

Everyone will get their chance to see this tonight... They have just put us (NW counties only) under a Winter Storm Warning from Noon today to Noon tomorrow. We are to get 7 to 14 inches with 15 mph winds and "gusty". If you look at NW Mich tonight on any internet weather radar site, you will witness this event that they call Lake Effect Snow. You will also notice the "banding" effect that should be pretty pronounced, and you will see that counties a few miles away will receive absolutely NO snow. They are not even under a Winter Weather Advisory, let alone a Winter Storm Warning, which is just one level below a Blizzard Warning.

The only minor blessing is that because of all the clouds, at least we have a little warmer temps sometimes than the mid state regions.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:33 AM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
"lake effect" is a familiar term to me since we were just about an hour away from Lake Michigan when I was a child. Fortunately we were on the southwest side of the lake but we heard about those big snow dumps that came off the lake.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote