Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Attention 3400 Owners

I don't know if everybody has this problem but I sure do. If you look under the slide that your table and couch are on, there is a hole big enough that you can put your hand through it. The slide has to be closed. Look from the inside of the Monty. You might have to get down and look hard. It's about a foot inside. When it rains and your going down the road, the wheels throw water into this hole and gets the carpet wet. If your putting your Monty up for the winter, It's a great place for small creatures to get into your Monty. The hole is big enough that my wife and I can shake hands through it. I don't know if everyone has this problem, but It's serious enough that I thought everyone should check.

Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:45 PM   #2
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Do you move the furniture out and peel back the carpeting to find this? With the slides in I'm guessing that you crawled over the counter.....? Could you be more specific as to where this hole is--a foot in from the edge---closer to the table or more in the sofa area? We are ready to store ours for the season and I just finished putting Bounce and DeCon out. I sure want to find this big hole if it's there!!
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #3
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Can you measure from the outside and from both ends of the slide and let us know these demenisions. We are getting ready to have some work on our unit this month. If it is on ours we will have them take a look. We have been through a lot of rain this past summer and did not have water from that slide, but from the kitchen slide. it has all been fixed. Please let us know.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:10 PM   #4
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
I had the same problem when the road was wet the floor would also get wet. The stealer put covers in each corner of the LR slide and Kit slide to block the water.
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gene,
Thanks for the heads up. I have not seen the hole you are talking about, but will sure be on the lookout for it this coming spring. I have taken my coach down many roads this past summer in rainstorms I probably should not have been driving in, and so far the coach has been dry on the inside. I know a few folks had some trouble with the kitchen slide leaking water from tire spray. Will be watching this thread for updates.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:01 AM   #6
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
Ill check my 06 3400RL. But since I am living in mine I am not sure I want to being a slide in (to much other stuff to move) but i'll look.

Thanks for the heads up.
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:01 AM   #7
kegger5769
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4412
Gene,
Thanks for the heads up, will check mine this weekend. Yes please post some dimensions.
I just had a floor sag issue appear, if you step on the floor next to the couch by the dining chair up by the outside wall the floor flexes to the point you will spill a glass of water off the table and you see the floor flexing from under the slide out. Going in to get fixed (warrenty) in a few weeks.
kegger5769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
The slide has to be in. If you stand by the steps leading upstairs and you bend down and look down under the slide about a foot down the slide. The hole is there. We are going to a dealer here in North Carolina on Friday to have this looked at and fixed (I Hope) and I will post the results here Friday night.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #9
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
We have the same problem.
The carpet is dirting with road dust on both ends of the slides.
I spoke to the people at the facotry when we had a tour in September and they said they have not seen this problem.
With the slides closed you can look down in the corner and see light.
Planning on taking the unit to a dealer so that our punch list can be done before it is a year old.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:21 AM   #10
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Gene,

Thanks for the information! My trailer is currently at the dealer to replace the remote thermostat with the CCC and I'm going to call them to check for this hole.

Thanks!
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:51 AM   #11
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
All,

I called my dealer to check on this hole and they told me that if they can't find it, I was going to be charged the labor rate. If found then it will be covered under warranty. Keep your fingers crossed!
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:55 AM   #12
keepontruckin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2484
Send a message via MSN to keepontruckin
I had a similar problem on the 3500RL. The hole was in the kitchen slide. Left hand corner above the driver side rear tire. After driving in a rain storm, the whole corner was soaked. Dealer took care of sealing up the gap.
keepontruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:30 AM   #13
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I sent this entire thread to my dealer's service manager on Tuesday. They have our Monty there for winterizing and a few minor adjustments. They checked it out this morning. FOUND THE HOLE and sealed it up. Expressed their thanks for bringing this problem to their attention ... were unaware of it previously ... via the MOC Forum. They will now be checking all 3400s (new and old) for this problem as a matter of routine.
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:10 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
How was it sealed up?
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:34 PM   #15
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
They sealed the hole up. Then they put metal flashing as a water diverter away from the trailer. Sure hopes it works. They did this over both sides of the Monty above the wheels.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:25 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
What did they use to seal up the hole? Ours is out of warranty so if we find a hole we will probably need to do this ourselves.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #17
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
As far as I can tell, they put on a piece of rubber and caulked it. Then put the metal diverters (screwed on) and then caulked.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:18 PM   #18
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Gene:
I don't see how you can see a hole in the slide with the slide in. When ours is in, it comes in and lays flat on the floor and the carpet covers up everything. Now, in our case, you can see a little light from the outside when the slide is almost in and hasn't seated in the depression that causes it to raise up when it is coming in. When it is out, the inside edge of the slide sits down in this depression so it blends in with the deck carpet on the inside. Is this where you are seeing the hole through. I have went outside and looked under the slide and whether its in or out I see no hole and again, I can't see how you can see a hole when the slide is in when everything is covered up with carpet.
Can you take a picture of it? That would show us all where you are looking and would be most helpful.
Thanks for the information and we hope you can get it fixed without any cost to you.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:03 AM   #19
Navigator
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1894
Hi everyone,

I looked for a hole under our main slide but couldn't find anything. A photo showing the hole or approximate location would sure be helpful.

We've never had "Monty" on the road in wet weather so have never experienced any damp or wet carpeting and sure would like to avoid the problem in the future.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:10 AM   #20
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
It would be very hard to get a picture. The hole is about 8 inches in along the wall. Where the slide starts by the steps. If you get down and look along the wall you can see daylight. This is when the SLIDE IS IN!!! The hole is big enough that my wife can put her hand through it and I can grab her hand from outside under the slide. The hole is about 4 or 5 inches long and about 2 or 3 inches wide. You can also see this hole if your outside with the door open and lean in and look along the wall. It is quite noticeable.