Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2005, 04:07 PM   #21
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Even if we fulltimed for a while, we were not considering the sale of our home. We have a great rental market with a large Air Force base near us that has officers and their families coming into the area for an eleven month long school. They are usually great and responsible renters. Our problem involved moving our 'stuff' to storage. We figured up tonight that our monthly cost for keeping our home is about $300.00 per month. Storage costs would be higher, I'm sure and not climatized. So we'll just keep our things here in our climatized "storage" and hit the road when the time comes. We won't have the renters income which would be considerable but then we won't have anyone damaging our home either.

Helen, you folks who know they can give up their stuff have the easiest road. People who are ready to changing their housing setup have it even easier. For us, the decision is complicated by the fact that we had just built our dream home (we don't have lofty dreams) and bought new furniture for it only five years ago. That's not long in the life of houses and furniture.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:53 PM   #22
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We are fortunate because we have been downsizing for almost two years now. We had a beautiful 3850 sq ft home built overlooking the ski slopes of a major ski resort. It was nice as I could sit at my office desk and watch night skiing as the slopes were all lit up until 10 PM. After two years, we came to the realization that it really wasn't what we had wanted out of life after all. We sold it and started our quest to travel. Looking at 100K motorhomes while were renting (nice home) for two years, we suddenly stumbled onto 5th wheels. The third or fourth 5ver dealership we walked into was a Montana dealership. When Cheryl stepped into the 2005 3400RL this past August, the searching came to an ABRUPT halt. We will be leaving a lot of family up here, but I think it was Rich who suggested that that would open up a great opportunity for the kids to visit us in warm weather in the middle of a Michigan Winter.

We may want a stick house in a few years, we'll see. But for now, we plan on warmer winters and seeing some of this beautiful country.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:55 AM   #23
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Wow, Dave, that's a lot of inventory to move. Our home is only 2400 sq feet. no basement, lots of stuff in the garage, but nothing like 3800 sq feet. Are you going to sell all or store some?
Old 11-17-2005, 04:28 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy and Glen, there are ways to handle the storage without getting real expensive. In our case, our kids' basements.

But I really think the decision to fulltime, most-time, part-time, or some-time is a very personal one. Whatever works best for you is what is right for you. After chatting with Glen during the recent rally I'm aware of the situation with your house. Keeping it as a homebase makes a lot of sense to me whether you use it between trips, however short or long, or you rent/lease it out until ready to settle down.

I skimmed some of the posts in this thread and skipped quite a few (time limitations today) so hopefully I'm not duplicating another post or stepping on any toes. You mentioned feeling some social pressure to fulltime. Judy, the only pressure you should feel should come from you and Glen and nobody else. Anyone who would think that fulltiming is a better choice than part timing or weekending/vacationing has their own problems. It's purely a matter of personal choice. There is no 'right or wrong' nor any 'better/worse'. At least in my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:38 AM   #25
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hello Again,

I should have mentioned, a big factor in building and keeping a Home here now is, We were some what concerned about being priced out of the market here in AZ.

We just became the fastest rising price market in the US according to the paper Tues. If we took off for a couple of years we would have to leave the "Valley of the Sun". Afraid we couldn't afford a Home when we got back. This has been our Home for 30 years and it's where our Daughter and Her Family are (Two Grand Daughters)and it's a great place to be when getting up in your years. Good Med. Fac. and such.

We do have some friends that have been FTing for about 8 years now. They sold out. They can not buy back here now, but their OK with that, as their Family is spread out accross the US, so they have other choices in States in which to live.

Just another thing to think about.

Isn't it great that at least we are fortunate enough to be able to think on these things? We consider ourselves truly Blessed.

Happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:21 AM   #26
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve and Nina
You have a really good point. We wouldn't be able to buy again here either. However, we don't really want to stay here so that's okay. We are like your friends, our kids are spread out from Florida to Northern California. I think that for anyone who has lived in one place for many years, pulling up roots would be harder than for those that have moved around. Although we have lived in Hemet for 25 years we lived temporarily in so many places with my work during this time I feel like a nomad anyway. This topic just shows we are each individuals and have our own reason for doing what we do and there is no wrong or right to the subject.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:59 AM   #27
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
This has been a very interesting discussion. As I said in my post, our need for roots is the main reason we want to keep our stick house. However, another big factor is the fact that the little wide spot in the road we call home has suddenly become "the place to be" this year (we're getting our first stoplight next spring). We have 5-6 subdivisions going in, and 1 acre buildable lots are selling for $50K - $100K in some cases (ours was $20K 6 years ago). Almost every vacant lot has a for sale sign on it as people try to cash in on the boom, or has been sold and built on, and houses that were listed in the low $100K range last year are now $150K and more. Our property is appreciating at a faster rate than our investments and we couldn't afford to replace what we have. So, we'll enjoy traveling as much as we can, perhaps become snowbirds next winter, and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:49 AM   #28
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sunshine, the replacement cost of our home is one of our considerations. Plywood prices alone have skyrocketed since we built our home just five years ago. The hurricanes haven't help lower the construction costs. We're not in an area where housing costs are taking off, but it's the replacement costs that would get us.

Sue, we are ex-military with kids in Alabama and Texas and a grandson in Tennessee, family in the midwest, so we can pick up our roots and plant them else where pretty easily. But those little ones love to come to visit Grandma's house in the woods.

Steve, we didn't plan very well....our kids don't have basements. What a bummer! Any "pressure" to fulltime would come from within myself. I love to be identified with a group and would love to be a fulltimer, or at least I thought I would until I walked into my home and saw all the sentimental things that I would have to sell or give away. And there's the issue of my quilting stash! How valuable can things be! And there are many other items that are emotionally valuable to us that are best stored right where they are.

But, whatever the issues, we have no ties here at home and can pick up and leave virtually whenever we want to. So that's where we'll leave it for now, for this time, for our situation as we see it. All is subject to change, but isn't that the best part of being Tired, I mean Re-Tired? Does that mean we tired all over again?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:33 AM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

Wow, Dave, that's a lot of inventory to move. Our home is only 2400 sq feet. no basement, lots of stuff in the garage, but nothing like 3800 sq feet. Are you going to sell all or store some?
Judy, we are trying to sell most. We have had a couple of garge sales... last one was an "Estate Sale". We thought we did really well... until we went to move and found out we had more than we thought. I'm sure that happened to many here.

We moved into a small apartment and filled it plus half of a medium sized storage garage. When we move into our Montana in May, we plan to ask the landlords if they would like to buy our furniture and then advertise this apartment as "furnished"... more rent. I am sure we will have to have another small? garage sale in May.

Funny thing about kids, as I have noticed similar situations on here with others... kids don't generally want their parent's stuff. I think it's a stigma, or something.

The only attachment we (Cheryl) may have is our male Siamese cat, Ditto. Cheryl has always wanted a Siamese. We spent a lot of money tracking down a mild mannered Siamese. We finally found a six week kitten with good breeding, being raised by a family with 4 children under 8 yrs old who played with the kittens everyday, We got the pick of the litter. He is neutered, declawed (all four) and he is 2 1/2 yrs old. I do not plan on FTing with a pet. Cheryl says she doesn't either, but I am not sure this emotional bond is going to be easy for her to break. Our youngest daughter and her husband just love him, and they said they would take him.

I just know I'm going to have to deal with this. That's OK... I figure my job is to make sure my wife is never unhappy about something I have control over... Period (unless it affects us in a major financial way).
Old 11-17-2005, 10:39 AM   #30
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Wow, you have done well, Dave. It sounds like you been downsizing for a while and at a comfortable pace. Surely the reward of spending a lot of time in your Montana will be wonderful. We got a good taste of fulltiming on our trip to Alaska that lasted five months and we love the lifestyle.

There are many MOCers who travel with pets, even cats and birds. You might need to reconsider Ditto's future. Have you tried him on a leash? If he's mildmannered, he might be the best traveling companion you could ever have....other than Cheryl, of course.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:35 AM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We did try the leash, Judy. His first impression wasn't favorable. He thought it was a nuisance. But he probably could get used to it. He is a full time house cat. Can't let him out at all due to no defense system (claws). I think he would do fine. I'll probably wait until this subject comes up this next spring to mention anything.

Maybe I'll wait until she's mad at him for getting into something??
Old 11-17-2005, 11:52 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A common thread seems to be that the house is a really good investment.We could not sell the house, Invest the $ and get the return that we would by keeping it for 5 years. The cost of buying again is also a factor. We all know that the day will come when we can no longer Rv and will have to buy again. I look at our house that will increase in value over the next 5 years and I look at a 40K truck and a 40K camper that decreases in value every day.Dave you are correct about kids not placing the same value on "stuff" that we do.I saw that first hand in clearing out our parents home after they both passed. Things they kept for 60 70 years was trash to us. Oh.. we have been traveling with a bird a big Cock-a too for 10 years Dusty..Helen's baby.Hates me..but it is going with us...Hard decisions for all of us but it is good to be able to share concerns and hear how others are dealing with those difficult decisions.Looks like we will be in the RGV next winter . Hope to see some of you there..full timing, long timing or some timing..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:20 PM   #33
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Judy ... The way I see it, you have the best of both worlds ... since your daughter lives nearby and you have long-time neighbors that you trust to keep on eye on things, you can take off in the Montana whenever the traveling bug bites, for as long as you like. And, when you feel the need to be in a house that doesn't bounce, not to mention a 2nd bathroom, then you can point the Montana toward Alabama.

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:08 PM   #34
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The beauty of this discussion is that there are as many diverse solutions as there are people. And what a person decides today may not be the same decision they make for tomorrow. Because Glen has really come to love the RV lifestyle as much as I do, I know we'll be on the road most of the year. He is really bummed out about being home more than I am. Before we hit the road for five months, he wasn't sure how much he would like living in the Montana. It was a great experiment for us.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:41 PM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You know Judy that is exactly what Helen and I have discussed at length. We made a decision on what we feel and what we know now. We will go with that decision and perhaps a year from now evaluate how we feel then.As my Kid sister..the Clinical physiologist..says..You have a natural fear of the unknown, now is our security blanket and we can not let go of it till we are assured of security in the future..My generation, she says, in general, are security oriented and not risk takers. Smart a--kid sisters.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:55 PM   #36
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I think some of this considerations is also whether or not you have a mortgage. In our case we do and we keep thinking about how much more spendable income we would have if we didn't have the house payment, insurance, taxes, utilities, etc. And because property values and taxes and electricty and water are high in California, this amounts to a considerable sum. So like some of you, we are slowly downsizing and still debating what we will do. A year or two from now, things may change and we may take off or dig in. This is why retirement is so exciting!
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:31 PM   #37
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich, I agree 100% with that philosophy! That's exactly the way we are looking at it. I like Judy's and Sue's comments, too.

I got a chuckle out of your relationship with Helen's "pet".
Old 11-18-2005, 01:46 AM   #38
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sue, that is the nitty-gritty of it....the mortgage payment. We were blessed to be able to pay off our house this past year so we now have that money for traveling. Our property taxes are ridiculously low in Alabama so our stick house expenses are really low. This all definitely effects our decision to keep our house. Glen is so bummed out about being out of the RV mode that I don't have to worry about having time on the road. He's already mentally extended our trips that are planned for 2006.