Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2024, 10:11 AM   #1
Sskeetr1

M.O.C. #34239
Dometic A/C wiring

I have a 2016 Montana with Dometic A/C. I got up on top to clean them and do regular maintenance and saw this group of wires. The red and black ones are stripped back as if they were supposed to be wire nutted or taped together. The come from a white plug in the capacitor box and plug into the circuit board. Does anyone know if they should be tied together or not? Thanks so much for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5391.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	16995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5390.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	16996  

Sskeetr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:25 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Those twisted bare ends certainly show they were connected to something at one time. But no idea if they should be connected together. My guess would be no. But only a guess. Does everything work Ok? If so, just tape the ends and leave them as is. At least until you can get a definite answer. Bare wires are never a good thing.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:45 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Are you the original owner? Could this have been an attempt of adding a Soft Start to the A/C?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 08:21 PM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Depending on what zone this AC is mounted to the blue wires would be for the furnace control ( Zone 1 ) and yellow wires are load shed ( if used ) and red/black are 12 vdc (+/-)

Your aren’t using load shed so those should be taped up.. if your furance is working tape the two blue wires up.

Also cap the red/ black ends because if this is the zone 2 AC unit it is getting 12 VDC across the telephone cable (red/black) wires on telephone cable plug.l

See image of wire diagram
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1264.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	17001  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 07:56 PM   #5
Sskeetr1

M.O.C. #34239
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Depending on what zone this AC is mounted to the blue wires would be for the furnace control ( Zone 1 ) and yellow wires are load shed ( if used ) and red/black are 12 vdc (+/-)

Your aren’t using load shed so those should be taped up.. if your furance is working tape the two blue wires up.

Also cap the red/ black ends because if this is the zone 2 AC unit it is getting 12 VDC across the telephone cable (red/black) wires on telephone cable plug.l

See image of wire diagram
Thank you for your reply. It is zone 2, I got some help from a FB group that explained the same thing to me. Thank you so much. I trimmed them back and capped all them off.
Sskeetr1 is offline   Reply With Quote