Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
How long to flush

Hanna has been in the dealers hospital getting replacement parts (list to follow later.)

The toilet had to have a new kit in it and the technician was complaining about the stench. I assured him that I had flushed the tank and had not used it and I had put in the blue packet with water added to the tank. He asked how long I flushed it for and I said 5 minutes or a little more.

He said that the tank should be flushed for one hour. I think that is to long and would like to know how others flush the black water tank. I use the sewer flush connector in the water control panel box.

Anyone have a "proper," method for flushing?

I know, I know! It's a stinky subject!!! :-)

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:33 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Actually I flush mine for well over an hour BUT only when I am here in Florida for 6 months at a time. I'll start the flush and find other Honey Do's to complete. I have a clear elbow and when I finish the water coming out is a clear as the water going in. At this point I dump the gray and galley.

When on the road I typically flush for 15 to 30 minutes. Sometimes I will close the black tank valve with the flush running. When I feel the black tank is half to three quarters full I'll dump it.

I have never had a problem and I never ever use any additives in the tanks and I never had any sewer smell. The biggest trick is using enough water when flushing the toilet. Too little water and the solids will not flow out properly and start to accumulate.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:37 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks Glenn. I'm going to start doing the same as you. Yes, I also use enough water to break up the solids.

Next time out, just before we take off, I'm going to dump about 30 pounds of bagged ice (un-bagged of course) down the toilet. The sloshing around of the ice cubes will break up any accumulation on the sides and when I get to the destination, I'll flush again.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:41 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Ah hour?? No wonder the lines at some of the dump stations are sooooo dangggg looooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggg!!!

I do as Glenn mentioned above -- that is, I dump, close the valve and fill for a bit, then dump again. Do that 2 or 3 times and the fluid coming out is clear. With water conservation in required in many places, and many parks running on septic systems, I can't see them allowing anyone to just run water into their systems (or from their water systems) for an hour (or even 15 to 30 minutes).
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:45 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Skypilot,
How long would the water have to run in the sewer flush line to half fill the black water tank?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:56 AM   #6
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
It depends on the supply line. 2GPM it would take about 9 minutes.
If you are serious, time how long it takes to fill a gallon jug and then figure from there.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
David,
I'm trying to get out of work, not create it!! :-) :-) :-)
Old 01-22-2008, 05:36 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I dump and then wash for 10 minutes. I close the dump valve for three minutes while washing. That gets dumped while continuing to wash. I repeat this process until I get nothing but clear water flowing out. It is amazing how much additional debris comes out on the second, third, and forth times of the fill-and-dump cycle. Sometimes this procedure does take up to an hour, but my tank level gages work.

I don't ask the park how much water I can use. If they have a problem with my keeping my rig's system clean, then I would just move on to a new location.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:03 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Styles,
That is also a viable solution.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2008, 06:04 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Let the black tank fill all the way up then dump. The down pressure of the full tank of water will blow out all kinds of waste. Keep doing that till the dump is clear. It can take a hour to get a clean tank. Just pulling the handle dumping and nothing else will not do it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #11
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I flush until there are no more toy's floating by.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Waldo,
I take it that you have children, 'cause your profile says you are to young to have grandchildren.

Or, did you mean something else? :-)
Old 01-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
When we are sitting for a month or more, we have more difficulty in getting the black tank clean so I dump and rinse for about 20 minutes. Then I fill the tank by closing the tank valve and letting water flow into the tank from the back-flush for anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes depending upon water pressure and volume of where we are staying. Then, I step on the toilet flusher until I see water in the sewer pipe. I let this water sit for about an hour than dump and repeat. Keeps our tanks pretty clean.

When on the road, the constant jostling of a few gallons of water (with added ice at times) seems to work even better.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #14
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
My kids are grown and gone, the youngest being a doctor in Cape Cod, and I did mean something else. Can I borrow you're fishing pole?.....:-)
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #15
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I was down in RGV, last year - standing outside our Monty talking to the neighbor. We visited for quite sometime. I happened to glance across the street and noticed water running down the drive from a motorhome. It continued so we walked across the street to investigate...Water was coming from the roof and down the side. We looked further and fould that the owner was running a tank flush and evidently forgot about it and went to the store. We turned his flush hose off and about thirty minutes later the owner arrived. He opened the door and water was coming out the door of his motorhome. He was not a happy camper... DON'T FORGET
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Waldo,
It doesn't matter where I fish, I would catch the same thing you would!

And yes, I knew what you meant.

John,
I don't think any of us would be a happy camper. It would be a long, long time before DW forgot about it, if she ever did. The only time my DW forgets about anything is when I do something more stupid. Sometimes I do them and just don't tell her. :-) :-)
Old 01-22-2008, 01:48 PM   #17
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I have an ABSOLUTE rule when filling the black tank - I set a timer with a bell on it and I do NOTHING else but watch the activity in the CG.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #18
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
The key is the clear extension between the hose and RV dump outlet. You can see when the system is clean. Repeating the fill/dump cycle will loosen additional waste each and every time we do it. About 10 minutes does it for us but we're only weekenders so the solids may not be as much a problem as full timers who stay in place for extended periods.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #19
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I took an extra clear ext and put screen over it and when I get home with tanks clean and drained I open all valves and leave them. they will air out and I never seem to have any odor. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:02 AM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
So many different ways, and all good.

Edited: Except mine, but that's why I asked.

Thanks