Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
3000RK

Newbie here,Does anyone have a Monty 300RK,Any info appreciated, Bill

Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
We have one and love it. We have had no major problems, and very few minor issues. If you go to the search page, and look for 3000RK in the topic area, you will find a couple of threads.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
There wonderful units, nice choice.. John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hello Xthread,

Welcome to the MOC. 3000RK is a great looking unit, the people that have them seem to love them.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:12 AM   #5
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
We have one and are very happy with it. We just completed a 7 month, 16,000 mile trip in it and are still on speaking terms. We particularly like the large kitchen counters, and the fact that you don't have to move the recliners to close the main slide. Minor downside is the kitchen isn't readily accessible without partially opening the main slide. Some have overcome this by removing 2 of the dinette chairs and turning the table sideways. If you like the layout, go for it.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:58 AM   #6
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
We have had our 3000RK for a month and a half and have put a couple thousand miles on it. We had a Wilderness before. The Monty seems to be much better built. My DW loves the rear kitchen, especially the convection/microwave. I really like the hookup closet for water, etc.. At first I thought I would not be happy with basemet storage because of the pipes running through it. My Wilderness had quite a bit more storage. But now that I have had it for awhile, and gotten lots of good storage tips on this forum, it is working out great. Only probelms we have had were a couple of water leaks, fireplace motor not functioning, and a couple of blown fuses. Everything was easily corrected. The Keystone support is excellent. We are not full-timers, but do plan on spending at least 6 - 8 mos. a year on the road. We have found it to be a great rv for us. We have lived in it for all but two days since we owned it. We just put in a small freezer in the washer/dryer cabinet, and have the sate., on tripod, setup to include abc/cbs/nbc/fox, so we feel pretty well setup.
You will find that this forum has the nicest people who have the best advice on anything you need to make your life comfortable while rving. Enjoy that 3000RK, and wave or flash your lights when you see any of us on the road.
PS: We had the dealer install a latch on the drawer under the frig. to keep it from openning while traveling. (It is the same type as they use to hold up the shelf the trash can sits on.) I am 6'3" so had them raise the dining table by two inches. (They just put 2" plywood piece between tabletop and center post, saves on banging my knees on table and makes it comfortable to get in and out). Also had them through in an air conditioner in the bedroom.

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:49 AM   #7
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Bill, Dano and I have the 3000RK and really love it! Do you have one already or just looking? We looked at just about everything, and when we stepped into this model, it was so perfect for us. We love the floorplan! The kitchen is great to be in. The trash can placement is the best! You do have to keep an eye on the drawer under the fridge, but that's an easy fix. We got one before the latest changes happened with the nose and closet and stuff. There is plenty of room when you have company - doesn't feel crowded at all. Everything about it suits us to the T. Everyone is different, that's why there's so many different models. The 3000RK is very nice. IMO. With the awning out, you are "out of the rain" when you step outside, when you need to get into the basement, when you need to change the propane, & you are still undercover when you go under the nose to the other side because of the bedroom slide. That part is pretty cool. We just love all the windows. Really feels like home.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:32 AM   #8
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Hello Everyone,Thanks for the great responses about the 3000rk. They are very encouraging positive thoughts.We currently have a 1995 Jayco, and ordered a 3000rk at the Pamona show.We haven't yet been notifed of the build date,but I assume it'll be within six weeks.They said between Thanksgiving and Christmas.We like it a lot over the other models we looked at,especially the large side window.As was said before, every one to their own liking,so we opted for the booth dinette ,mainly because of storage space,(we may regret it).I currently have a '99 ford f250,7'3,auto trans.I may be maxed on the truck,if so,I'll upgrade.Does anyone tow this unit with that combo?Again, thank you for the great responses, I'm looking forward to attending one of the rallys. Bill
Old 11-06-2006, 11:54 PM   #9
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Bill,
You'll get all kinds of opinions on how big a truck you need, but there are a bunch of people towing bigger trailers than the 3000RK with a F250 without problems. I think you'll be just fine with that TV.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobgay

Bill,
You'll get all kinds of opinions on how big a truck you need, but there are a bunch of people towing bigger trailers than the 3000RK with a F250 without problems. I think you'll be just fine with that TV.
Bob
The 3000RK has one of the heavier 'dry' hitch weight at 2325. The problem with your (and all 3/4s) is that, although they will pull anything, they cannot carry the pin weight, passengers, cargo, hitch weight, tools, etc and remain within GVWR. Like Bob said, lots do it, and 99% over weight. It's your truck/family/life/safety, you'll have to make that decision...I did, and opted for a dually.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #11
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
I feel the need to add a little on this topic.
Wifeofdano, I don't think the awnings on the 3000RK are like yours now. Ours is over the LR big window, and the entry door. It doesn't quite reach the basement area, as I feel it should, but I DO like the fact that it's over the big window. I don't like sun shining directly into the coach, and I don't like wearing a hat indoors to shield the glare, so I guess I would rather get wet opening the basement.
Pin weight?.... Air bags!.... Maybe not legal, but level and comfortable. I've pulled a heck of alot heavier more times than not. Truck / family / life / safety.....is this some kind of guilt trip attempt?
Old 11-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #12
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Bert,
My sincerest apologies to you, the guilt trip comment was out of line. I realize you were only stateing the facts, and I took it wrong.
I should also say that I pull with a 3/4 ton truck, and may be over the GVWR, I can't say this for fact, as I have not weighed it.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:01 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bill - Congratulations on your new unit . What a nice Christmas present!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:08 PM   #14
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Hey Lonnie...no apology necessary, I probably should have worded my post a bit differently. Keep your posts coming, I enjoy them and they benefit all.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:36 PM   #15
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
hello Everyone, Again, I thank you for the input, I Drove trucks all my working career, and I am aware of the consiquences(msp)of being overloaded, plus the pain it can cause. I had weighed my F-250 recently, and the rear axle weight was 5,000# The door sticker says 6084 rear axle wt.The 3000rk is 2325# dry wt, as I undertand it. I know that the truck can haul much more, but for me, thats where the engineers/legal system drew the line in the sand.Monday,I was kicking tires at a local Ford dealer, and they had just taken a 2005 F-350 4x4 in on trade, It has the Lariat package,15k miles, previous owner(In the agriculture business) has a 30,000#rated goosneck hitch in it and a 17k rated reciever hitch.It also has the trans flo(?) fuel tank, not sure of the gallonage yet.
Again , thanks for the input, we all learn from that, Still have'nt been notified of the build date for the Monty. Anyone coming to the rally in Buellton ,Ca. in April??? Bill
Old 11-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #16
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
For what it's worth, we have a 3000RK and, as you can see by my profile, we pull it with a 3/4 Dodge. The weights on it just before we went to the rally were: Steering 4200, drive 5300, and traile 8940. Pin wieight was 2420 with 2/3 tank fresh water and empty black and grey. 1 full and one 1/2 full lpg. It included all the things we needed for a month long trip we made after the rally. My truck is 4X2 since I see no need for a 4X4.(JMHO) It does have limited slip differential. As for the 3000RK, we love it. We got it in March but wasn't able to use it until Sept. for physical reasons. We are leaving here in Jan. for FL and Mexico, CA and Canada, and will be gone about 5 months or so. We thought the 2955RL we had for 3 years was nice but this is even better.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:49 AM   #17
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Lonnie, I'm going to have to get to a dealer and actually SEE a 3000RK the way they are making them now. I have a feeling that our peticular Montana is unique. I wonder how many were made like ours before all the changes came about.

We (excuse me,) DANO pulls ours with his Dodge 4WD Dually. He figured if there had to be a new truck in the family, it ought to be able to pull anything!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:12 AM   #18
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Who knows Lisa? I may have the only one in captivity with the awning where it is, a morphadite .

Old 11-09-2006, 09:10 AM   #19
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Thanks Bob, I've been wanting a 4x4 for a couple years now, the timing was right. The right truck(I hope) came along and hopefully all will come together.We have been considering a F-350, 4x4 for quiet a while. I pick it up monday.Its been a very informative thread, I thank every one that has contributed.Keep the info coming!! Bill
Old 11-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #20
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Lisa, my DW Vanessa pointed out to me a few minutes ago, that our awning DOES cover the basement, but it does not cover the bedroom window. I'll get it right someday, maybe, lol.