Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #1
dke1955
Established Member

M.O.C. #20643
will Montana hold up?

So I want to be able to get out in the sticks, and by sticks I mean down a dirt road now and then, enjoying the solitude of boondocking. I am looking at the 3121 and the arctic fox 30ft. I have a Montana dealer right in town so the convenience factor is huge with the Montana. I'm not talking about anything extreme here, but I am wondering if running down a dirt road, with I would imagine the occasional pot hole or two will beat the trailer to death?...again careful speed down the road etc., so assume a rational careful OCD driver as you offer your opinions!!..Thanks everyone!

dke1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
With our old rig we worked for Fish and Wildlife every winter for 7 years. We had great places to camp, but many of them couldn't even be found on a GPS. Never had a problem with rough dirt roads other than having to frequently put the truck in four wheel drive (particular when wet), but was careful and took it easy. The infrastructure of the new rig is better than our old one so I wouldn't hesitate to haul the new rig back to those spots either.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:30 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Have had ours off the pavement several times with no issue.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:59 PM   #4
AlphaFez
Established Member

M.O.C. #21240
We have the 2018 Montana 3120RL, and the twin axles with the equalizers keep the rig running pretty darn smooth over bumps or chuck holes, coarse the tow vehicle driver must be careful when road conditions require it. About the difference between your rig #3121 and ours #3120 is the refrigerator, #21 refers to residential frig (all 110V) and ours #20 refers to frig (12v or LP gas). So without electric hook up, you may run your 12v battery source down pretty quick. J.M.O.
AlphaFez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:11 AM   #5
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Any towable RV will hold up on a 'standard' back country road. None will if you 'hammer' down a rutted and pot holed fire road. We haven't traveled too many back country roads with this 5er but the last one, yes. The first one went everywhere including some real nasties in the west boonies with no problems.

My concern with the current crop of towables, regardless of brand name are those puny spring hangers. Our first one, noted above, had heavy forged brackets bolted to the frame with big bolts. Everything since then has the bent steel U-brackets more or less welded on.

Just take it easy and all will IMO, hold up just fine.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #6
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
If you are making it down America's interstates at 70 mph then you should not have any problem going down a country road. Just adjust your speed accordingly.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
If you are making it down America's interstates at 70 mph then you should not have any problem going down a country road. Just adjust your speed accordingly.
Exactly.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:03 AM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’ve pulled my camper places where some people wouldn’t take their truck.Places where I had to watch the back to make sure it didn’t drag, where I was afraid it would turn over, so rough you go so slow to let one wheel go down in the holes at a time. I don’t think you will have any problem.
Enjoy boondocking you won’t have any company to bother you.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:41 AM   #9
dke1955
Established Member

M.O.C. #20643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Never thought of that but you're right....if it can survive the highway at speed then it should be fine on a careful drive in the dirt...Thanks for the reply!..Thanks everyone! Love this forum.
Be Safe
dave
dke1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #10
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
Originally Posted by dke1955 View Post
So I want to be able to get out in the sticks, and by sticks I mean down a dirt road now and then, enjoying the solitude of boondocking. I am looking at the 3121 and the arctic fox 30ft. I have a Montana dealer right in town so the convenience factor is huge with the Montana. I'm not talking about anything extreme here, but I am wondering if running down a dirt road, with I would imagine the occasional pot hole or two will beat the trailer to death?...again careful speed down the road etc., so assume a rational careful OCD driver as you offer your opinions!!..Thanks everyone!
I sold my 6 year old Montana for this very reason. It was too long, too tall and too low to get us into those kinds of places we love so much. I bought a 10ft shorter SOB 5th wheel (After I replaced the ladder on the Montana after about ripping it off on a little dip in a paved road in a Forest Service camp ground. That was the final straw) It has all we need, way better clearances above and below and an off road suspension.Much, much happier now.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:36 PM   #11
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
The Artic Fox is a certified off road chassis. Or so they say.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #12
John shultz

M.O.C. #19844
Montana holding up boondocking

We have a 2003 Keystone Montana bought in Elkhart Indiana. we have had it boondocking a number times in the last two years. It held up very well, But I had to change the spring shackles a few times. I did not see them broken until we got to our camp site. Inspect your rig each time you stop, top and bottom. I carry spares with me. I have wood blocks and jacks with me to do the job. Only takes an hour to change a broken shackle. Sometimes a pot hole sneaks up on you. So carry spares with you and have fun. we boondocked across America in 2018. We are planning on it again in 2019. We are selling our home and take it on the road and see how it is full time.
John shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #13
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
you obviously never traveled the Illinois interstate system, I-39 between Rochelle and Bloomington is the worst road I have ever traveled. Once we get to the first rest area off 39, we stop to check how many cupboard doors opened.

If my Montana can handle repeated trips on I-39, they can handle any road, I drive like the Truckers, we all hang in the left lane most the way, the right is too rough.

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:58 AM   #14
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We put a lot of miles on ours towing it through California and Illinois, worse roads in the U.S.A. You should be good with the pot holes anywhere.