Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #1
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Full Timer Internet (Help me choose)

Thanks in advance guys, here is my situation:

5 Months of the year we are in an RV Resort with wired internet and a router.
7 Months we are on the road in RV campgrounds. The question applies here.

We stream a lot of Netflix and Youtube, often 2 streams at once and surf the web lightly at the same time. I have the Omnidirectional Rooftop Antenna with 4G LTE / Wi-Fi Prep so buying the router card is on the table. We have a couple of iPhone 10's with ATT.

Given this information I am looking for the best solution.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #2
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
I telecommute so Data connectivity is paramount for me and I have done considerable research and I am now setting up our 5er after recently selling our Class A which we had A Weboost 4G RV which is the best 4G antenna however it cast a very narrow signal inside the RV.

Below is a great resource and I have found to be the best source of information for setting up for both 4G and Wifi amplification in RV. They have also opened up a Online store oriented to RV connectivity.

https://livinlite.net/connectivity/

https://www.mobilemusthave.com/

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
The best place to find an internet option and wireless plans for on the road is the Internet Resource Center.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It really is going to depend on where you're going. We have Verison because at one of our home bases AT&T is spotty at best while it doesn't work at all at the one in Kansas and none of the other national options work in either place.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:25 AM   #5
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
First I am not sure what kind of roof top device you have. It may be fine. We use Weboost. What I would suggest is to invest in a "Good" router running third party (DD-WRT, Asuswrt-Merlin) firmware. A good router will let you adjust setting to allow data to flow much easier and even work around throttling. Then learn to use it. YouTube can get you started in this.
I am in Florida, in the "Attractions Area" and have very, very busy cell towers. I am getting speeds of 46.4 down and 28.3 up using a ATT ($20 a month) Netgear Nighthawk (M1100) tethered to said router. Have not had any throttling. I am in to the 18th day of my plan and have used 62 GB already. Not uncommon for me to use 150-250 GB a month. Also use a iPhone 8 on Visable $40 (Verison) unlimted, also tethered to the same router with similar results. These devices are used as gateways, so ALL wifi connects go through the router. This is not a cure all, but works well for us.
Hope this helps
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote