Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2005, 04:09 AM   #1
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
First Trip Foibles

Well, we got home last night from our first trip with the new rig, and not without a few hitches. We drove from the Los Angeles area to Prescott AZ, and even though there was plenty of rain along the way, it was an enjoyable trip pulling the 2980. Although it weighs 5K more than our previous rig, it is far more stable and I only lost 1 mpg overall.

We got in to Prescott late in the afternoon and started to un-hitch, only to find that the starboard landing gear wouldn't come down, so we spent the first night there still hitched to the truck. We were lucky enough the next morning to get rides to our appointments and get a rental car so we could be mobile while I figured out what to do. The local Montana dealer wasn't able to help us out much, and our selling dealer in So Cal said that they couldn't help us either as Keystone had closed for the New Year holiday (this is on last Thursday). I finally figured out that I had a hydraulic jack in my tool box and could use it to raise the one side of the rig while I lowered the other landing gear, so at least we got un-hitched.

I don't know how many of you have the new 2980, but be very careful of running the heater and opening the door. The heater vent is right next to the latch that keeps the door open. Our heater came on while I was working on un-hitching and the door was latched open. We realized later that it had scorched (mildly) the door. It wasn't terrible, but it's like getting that first scratch on a new truck!

I have a whole list of other minor fixes to be made that I expected as the result of a first trip, so before we left, I scheduled an appointment with our So Cal dealer to bring the rig in tomorrow.

The GOOD news is that we love this trailer!! After spending the first 5 nights in it, we are so glad we got this make & model. Shari keeps grinning and commenting on how comfortable it is, how beautiful it is, etc. We had jumped back & forth about whether to get the 2955 or the 2980, and this trip confirmed for us that the 2980 was the right choice. I caught the cold that Shari had before we left and it was wonderful to relax in the recliner with an electric blanket over me and watch the Rose Parade on that huge color TV! There was more than enough room in the king size bed for all three of us (ever try to keep your dog out of bed with you?).

So tomorrow we take the rig to the dealer for the repairs and we should have it back in time the next trip in 2 weeks, going to hit Perris CA and Quartzite AZ, then Jalama Beach CA (near Vandenburg AFB) the weekend after that.

Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:29 AM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Gotta Love the word Foibles.

I was thinking about you folks over the last week. We're in Chandler AZ. and I knew you were headed for Prescott. We haven't had rain like this in many a moon. We did need it though. I had visions of you being carried away with the rain water. Glad that didn't happen. It was a good test of the water tightness of your Rig. You didn't mention any leaks so I guess your good to go from that stand point.

I think we all have our little problems during the Shakedown cruise. I'm sure they'll get you fixed up just fine.

Glad you got home safe and sound.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Hi AZSTAR,
We kept an eye on the news while we were there, and you folks down in the Valley sure got a lot of water coming through! We were watertight which is the good news. Prescott is so hilly that flooding doesn't seem to be an issue, you just have to watch out for the creeks.

Have a Happy New Year!
Old 01-06-2005, 07:50 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Congratulations on a great first trip. Keep us posted about the landing gear problem. Let the great adventure continue...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
It gets better! We dropped off the trailer at Mike Thompson RV in Fountain Valley CA last night. Our service rep was very helpful and informative, for which I'm grateful. We knew that the starboard landing gear wasn't functional, so they brought a floor jack to support it while I lowered the port gear. Well, it wouldn't lower, and when I opened the front compartment cover, I found the whole motor assembly had fallen off! So much for quality components...... They're going to do their best to get it back to us for our next planned trip in 2 weeks, but we'll probably need to bring it back later for some of the less critical repairs. Like Stiles says, It's An Adventure!!
Old 01-06-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Wow! It sounds to me like the old "haste makes waste" cliche. I hope the Keystone folks are paying attention to your plight. This sounds like a lack of quality control related to installation of the components at the factory.

When I was a mechanical designer, I had a little sign over my drafting table. It read, "Why don't I have time to do it right, but I have time to do it over?" Keystone can't promise perfection, let's hope they provide correction.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:26 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm sorry to hear you had some problems with the landing gear but am glad to hear you are otherwise pleased with the Montana and the trip.

I have a question, if you don't mind. The new king-sized bed, is it also king length or is it a shorter version like the queen beds in the earlier Montanas?

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 04:26 AM   #8
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Steve, it's going to have to be shorter unless they remove the dresser from the wall across from it. The longer bed has to go somewhere when the slide comes in.

My parents' MH has a make-up table with a mirror at the foot of the bed, when the bed comes in it goes under the table.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:26 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good point John. I was thinking maybe the slide went out farther but the problem is still there with slide in, as you say.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:54 AM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Bill -

Glad you like the new unit. Just curious, were you not able to crank the landing gear down with the hand crank? Good luck getting ready for your next one. We enjoy reading about everyone's trips while our units are in cold weather storage. It gives us hope for the coming of April 1 and our return to RVing. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:35 AM   #11
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Hi All,
To answer Steve's question, the king size bed is 72 x 80 inches. This is neither a West Coast (or Cal) King nor an East Coast King, it's what's called a contract king, used mostly in hotels, etc. Naturally, most bedding stores sell sheets for Cal or East Coast only. It's either 4" too short, or 4" too narrow for regular size king sheets. We opted to get sheets too long since it made it easier to tuck in at the foot of the bed. The mattress overhangs the plywood base by at least 6". Yes, if it were any longer, it wouldn't fit with the slide closed, it's right up to the dresser. By the way, when we were looking at rigs at the RV show, Ideal solved the problem of the long bed by making you lift the mattress and base to the UP position to close the slide-out: a pretty poor solution in my mind.

Ron, regarding the landing gear, it was the mechanical connection between the motor and the landing gears that broke. The hand crank connects directly on thge gearing through the motor, so it only works if all the mechanical connections are good. When we dropped it off at the dealer, the motor actually fell off from the landing gear. Maybe I'll call Lippert directly to expedite the new parts. Someone mentioned in another thread that they had talked with a George at Lippert for a new switch.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:08 PM   #12
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Congratulations on your New Montana Bill and for such a successful maiden voyage. The landing gear not working correctly is a real drag though but you seem not to have let that ruin your trip or enthusiasm.

Your bed sounds nice. I'm going to have to go out and measure mine. I thought it was the same measurement but it can't be. Heck it's a 2003!

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:36 PM   #13
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I spoke with our service rep at the dealer this morning and he said the parts are on their way for the landing gear, so no need to call Lippert. He's 99% sure we'll have it back for our next trip starting the 21st. HOOO-RAH!
Old 01-11-2005, 07:26 AM   #14
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Congratulations on your first trip, sorry about the landing gear. Make sur you pull the pin if lifting up, keep us posted on the gear problem.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote