Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2017, 01:39 AM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Chucking controls

I want to address mild chucking.

Would the priority be to get a cushioned hitch pin or equaflex setup for springs?

Anyone here have experience with different cushioned hitch pins and which worked best?

Specifically I have been looking at Trail Flex and Trail Air. Have heard some negative reviews of the trail air but not sure if maybe it was a user not setting it up right? Some have even said they bought the air first but went back to the flex (which also happens to be about half the price)?

Anyone here using equaflex and how much chucking reduction did you see after install?

mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
On my 05 I installed a Glide Ride pin box ... it helped as advertised. I now have a 5th Airborne and think it does a good job to reduce chucking as well as cushioning some of the road shock. Lotsa people are happy with the Trail Air or Flex Air as well. I just didn't like all that hardware sticking out in front of the pin box. For an answer to the Equaflex install ... I just don't think it will have any effect on "chucking", but it will have a positive effect on cushioning the ride if all you now have is a center equalizer link on your springs.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Don't have either, but found that I had an increase in chucking when I had water in the tank which reduced my pin weight.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Haven't pulled her yet with water in the tank but that will be a common practice for us on the short hauls as most of the COE campgrounds near us don't have water at sites. Beautiful sites with great views just no water hookups.

I was also wondering if anyone has details of the shock absorber add on for trailer axles? I seem to recall an article touting those as very good at cushioning the ride?
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Aside from the placebo of having "shocks" on your fiver or TT ... if you really examine most any RV trailer setup, you'll easily see since the shocks are mounted at so great an angle that they can use barely any stroke to compliment the ride. A trailer suspension doesn't have the travel say a truck suspension does to start with. Yeah I know some of you believe your shocks improve the ride infinitely ... your opinion vs mine. Joy Rider is an aftermarket company that makes shock kit add ons that allow for a lesser angle of mount, but if you read reviews, the "like ems" and "don't like ems" are near equally split.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I never had much chucking on mine except on certain concrete highways. Added a 5th Airborne pin box. It significantly reduced, but not eliminated, that chucking.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I used a trailair rotoflex on my previous SOB and it really helped.
My 2955RL came with the morryde which does slide back and forth from looking at the markings on the hitch. I have not towed without the morryde on the Monty for comparison.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I never had much chucking on mine except on certain concrete highways. Added a 5th Airborne pin box. It significantly reduced, but not eliminated, that chucking.
I also went the 5th Airborne route. It eliminated the chucking, but I get a slight porpoising effect from it, which is much smoother than the chucking was.
My TV has selectable stiffness shocks and Firestone airbags and rides very stiff, all of the up and down comes from the 5th Airborne, perhaps it needs a new shock assembly?
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a Trailair pin box. It a great pin box no matter what the reviews you read said. Just watch it in your rear view mirror it’s taking up two inches of shock just going down the road. That is shock that isn’t going to your truck, you, or your camper. I don’t think it’s any better than any other air ride hitch so check them all out and take your pick.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:33 PM   #10
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I have the Hennsley TS-3 air-bag hitch and i have 0 chucking and Firestone air-bags on the truck. The trailer rides great but the truck rides like a buck board.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote