Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
More western help needed!

OK, so we got lots of help with Yosemite and San Francisco, so now we are working on before and after that part of the trip. We want to spend some time in southern Utah, with all the national parks in that area. It sounds like Moab is a must for the Arches and Canyonlands parks. Any favorite CG's in that area? And what about down near Zion and Bryce? Figure we will have a week or so in the general area before pushing west.

After San Fran we will head north along the Oregon and Washington coasts, then up into Canada. DW has been trying for almost 40 years to get me up to Banff and Lake Louise, so I guess it's about time! Any place we should not miss along the coast between the Bay and the Rockies?

washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Walt and Carol,
Wow! "Any place we should not miss along the coast between the Bay and the Rockies?" Now there is an understated sentence if ever there was one! The answer is --- The whole thing! There are many many features along this route. You could easily spend months and months along this part of the world. Just south of Fortuna, CA --- The Avenue of the Giants is a must do. Find yourself a park somewhere near and take a few days to explore. The state parks are a bit small for many of our rigs so probably best to look for commercial parks. On south side of Fortuna there is a nice park --- Rivers Edge or something like that. We've stayed there a couple of times. A bit on $$$ side but what isn't now a days.

Just across the CA / OR border is the little town of Brookings. Very nice state park on north side of town. Very nice! Many sites have FHUs and I believe some even have cable TV.

Astoria has a great Maritime Museum that you should visit. And also take a trip up to the top of the hill where they have a monument. Great views from top of the hill.

I've just listed a couple of places not to miss but there are many many more. And I haven't even touched WA or BC and the road over to Banff. There is just so much to see in along this route. Good luck. Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #3
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I HAVE been accused on occasion of being the Master of Understatement. Maybe I should change my MOC handle? Hey. just those two little snippets of info are exactly what I need. Now I have a couple of ideas on places to stop. I realize that there is more on our projected route than we could ever hope to soak up in 3 to 4 months, just as I realize that we could never in a million years afford the fuel to get there. We also cannot afford NOT to go. Time is as fleeting as cash, if not more so. SO thank you profusely for these. We will take a look at them!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:51 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Moab, 11 nights, barely enough. Pretty much take any campground you can get, sites can be difficult to nab. Worth it YES!!

Bryce, the main one near the park, better park, stayed at one for 3/4 nights (long story, short version, major electrical delivery issues on the side of the campground) not a good stay. 10 nights total in the area, snowed out of Bryce 2 days in a row, altitude minimum 7600 feet, some issues with that, just beware.

Day trip from Bryce to Zion and Capital Reef, take food, LONG day trips, worth it YES!

Lots of photos on my blog, see URL below.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Utah Highway 12 between Torry and Bryce Canyon is one of the most scenic drives we have ever made. We had no trouble towing our fifth-wheel along that route. Our direction was from Bryce to Torry (Capitol Reef National Park.)

So Arches, Capitol Reef, Bryce, and Zion are 'must see.'
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote