Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Huh?

Life is not easy for the hearing impaired, me being a few watts short of a full Volt does not help much. Having a short fuse helps even less.
When Sue is with me, all goes well, as she explains that the guy wasn't calling me obscene names, as I thought, when conversing with people.
Things get interesting when I order food, for instance. This afternoon, I stopped at Pepi's to get an early dinner.... (at our age this is not early, IMHO) anyway, the cute little Mexican girl was trying to help me with the order, Sue likes Chicken Burritos, (Polo) See, I do pay attention... anyway, I wanted beans and rice with her order for a dinner deal, after me saying Pardon? and What? a few times, not understanding a word of the English-Spanish she was talking, I smiled and said yes....
I ended up with 3 Enchiladas and beans and rice, she just got the Burrito Polo... No biggie, I shared the B & R with her.
A far better outcome than the time I was in a noisy bar with my buddy and business partner, we were walking past the pay-phones, a lady was messing with her make-up and about to dial the phone and speak to someone, she said something to my business partner, I (thought) she said I won't hear the conversation. I said "Good luck lady!" She actually said something about make-up and looking younger... My buddy still can't stop laughing when he thanks of that deal.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
And the VA says I don't need the ability to hear high frequency sound and I don't hear it. Then there is the 24/7 malady of tinnitus which further messes things up. Hang in there Ozz.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Well Ozz, I'm in the same boat as you. I have hearing aides, and good ones if the cost reflects good. I still have a problem even when I put them on high if people don't speak up when they talk. Its terrible always saying HUH? WHAT? I'M SORRY I HAVE BAD HEARING. Next thing you know your just agreeing with a head shake. Then your wife says she didn't say this or that, she asked you this or that. Oh well it is what it is...........but sometimes funny things happen out of it.

After 42 yrs of railroading, 31 yrs of race cars, and being wounded in Vietnam by bombs I don't understand why my hearing is impaired....lol

Have a good day!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I have bilateral tinnitus as certified by the VA from too much time around jet engines. While the constant high pitched whine in my ears is annoying, DW and I have a lot of laughs about the things I "hear" her say.
Oh, BTW, you know all those kids that pull up next to you at the stop light with the music so loud that the sheet metal on the car rattles? I just look over at them and smile......
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I don't go to drive thru windows anymore due to my hearing. And those intercoms they have.....must be right out of the 1950's. But, I was talking to my neighbor the other day. Don't recall just what I said, but he heard it way wrong. He starts telling me his restroom frequency; I asked what the hell he was talking about. He replies, "I thought you asked me how often I urinate". Now, I know the guy's kidneys are failing, but there are certain things I don't care to know. I'm very careful in conversation with him now.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:57 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have had 2 pairs of hearing aids. The first was a $5000 pair of junk, pure junk. The second pair are Phonak Savia. I love then. I hear sounds I haven't heard in decades. Loud clear without distortion. When I go in the woods birds are singing every where. When I cut then off silence. If you are like me and can't here as good as you once could, go try then out. I think by federal law you have 30 days to try then out. The place I got these aids will give you 6 months if you need it. They have never had a pair of these returned.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow Ozz... your hearing is a lot worse than you think. It's not "polo" (poe-low), it's spelled "pollo" (poy-yoh). "Polo" is like golf on horse (little crooked stick smacking the crap out of a tiny white rock). "Pollo" is Spanish for "chicken". Are you sure, in your order, you didn't get horse meat?

Next time just say "oohn combinacion de oohno Burrito deh poy-yoh cohn free-hoh-less EE AH-ROSS". If you want enchiladas with that, then ask for "Trrrress En-chee-lah-dahs". And roll your R's or you'll end up with trees in your enchiladas.

I'm losing my hearing too, but I'm not sure why but I've been told it's old age. My up close eye sight is already shot according to my doctor and this was old age. The doctor also said this about me achy knees, the pain my my lower back, the leg cramps I frequently get at night, the excessive methane, the need to urinate all the time and the frown lines in my face. I don't go to the doctor any more and save a lot more money that way. Why pay someone to just tell me what's inevitable and I already suspected? I'll go back when stuff starts falling off, stops working or changes color. Until then I'll eat all the Mexican food as I can! Yeah I know, I might go back to the doctor sooner than later, but did say "as I can", not "all the time".

Ozz, one of these days I hope we meet. Unfortunately we'll only just stare at each other since we can't hear each other. At least the wives will get along great. Hopefully they avoid the Pawn Store shopping.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
I was waiting for someone to say, it's not a bad thing to loose your hearing when your married for a long time. You can bet I'm not the one that's going to say it, lol.
gr8330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
... and that's why they call it the "Golden Years" .... you give all your gold to the doctors.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Wow Ozz... your hearing is a lot worse than you think. It's not "polo" (poe-low), it's spelled "pollo" (poy-yoh). "Polo" is like golf on horse (little crooked stick smacking the crap out of a tiny white rock). "Pollo" is Spanish for "chicken". Are you sure, in your order, you didn't get horse meat?

Next time just say "oohn combinacion de oohno Burrito deh poy-yoh cohn free-hoh-less EE AH-ROSS". If you want enchiladas with that, then ask for "Trrrress En-chee-lah-dahs". And roll your R's or you'll end up with trees in your enchiladas.

I'm losing my hearing too, but I'm not sure why but I've been told it's old age. My up close eye sight is already shot according to my doctor and this was old age. The doctor also said this about me achy knees, the pain my my lower back, the leg cramps I frequently get at night, the excessive methane, the need to urinate all the time and the frown lines in my face. I don't go to the doctor any more and save a lot more money that way. Why pay someone to just tell me what's inevitable and I already suspected? I'll go back when stuff starts falling off, stops working or changes color. Until then I'll eat all the Mexican food as I can! Yeah I know, I might go back to the doctor sooner than later, but did say "as I can", not "all the time".

Ozz, one of these days I hope we meet. Unfortunately we'll only just stare at each other since we can't hear each other. At least the wives will get along great. Hopefully they avoid the Pawn Store shopping.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
Gr8330, the losing your hearing from being married is called "Matrimonial Deafness" and after 36 years in the hearing aid business, I have decided it is incurable. The good news for those of you who are hearing impaired, there have been some tremendous strides in hearing aid technology in the last year. When I see what can be done today, it almost (but not quite) makes me wish I still had my practice. The big problem I see today is that the hearing aids are so flexible that if the person doing the programming does not know what they are doing, they can really screw it up. They can make a perfectly good device perform like cr@p. But if you do have a problem with hearing aids, go back and complain!!!!! Most problems can be lessened or even eliminated with the programming capability the new devices have......remember, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" a good professional with hearing aids is still a bad mind reader, if you don't tell them - it won't get fixed.
Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
3800 hrs. in a Chinook, rockets , mortars,shooting sportsman for a lifetime, 35 years around diesels and tow trucks,drove tow trucks for NASCAR for 10 yrs., drag racing 10 yrs., Isuppose I should be happy that I hear at all. Yet that insecent ringing and saying "pardon" get very annoying. There is never true quiet anymore. I remember hearing deer long before I saw them, I guess I'd better be thankful for what I have , just couldn't help but chime in. I guess my "golden years" are just a little rusty, so I'll just keep digging for the good stuff. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
All of you like me that cant hear as well as you once could please go get hearing aids. You cant even imagine what you are missing. You are missing hole sounds, especially the high notes. Its like you are listening to music and all of the high notes were eliminated half of the midrange notes are missing. Go with your wife outside and have her point to the birds that are singing and see how many you hear. You wont even believe how much you are missing. The sounds with aids are so much richer.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

All of you like me that cant hear as well as you once could please go get hearing aids. You cant even imagine what you are missing. You are missing hole sounds, especially the high notes. Its like you are listening to music and all of the high notes were eliminated half of the midrange notes are missing. Go with your wife outside and have her point to the birds that are singing and see how many you hear. You wont even believe how much you are missing. The sounds with aids are so much richer.
Lynwood
I was told that with my hearing loss, the aids would not help much.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote