Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Cats and harnesses and collars

Have any of you that travel with cats used collars or harnesses on your cats? Our cats are 10 and 11. We tried to put a harness on the 11 year old years ago and we still have the scars to prove it!! thought of having her sedated and having the vet put one on her. this feels a little cruel to me, but I want to keep my babies safe when we start traveling. Any suggestions?

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Hi Joanie and Dave,

I don't have cats but have had them in the past and have many friends who have them. One of those friends had a rather nasty female cat that she had to keep control of all the time. She always had to have her harnessed when outside of her condominium. She had the vet help her put it on and then kept it on her all the time. The cat was ticked at first but then forgot about it. The cat was especially lucky to have my friend as her owner as most people would not have put up with the cat.

I am sure your vet would help you with the harness. You might also try other forms of help like Rescue Remedy which is a homeopathic liquid that is supposed to take the edge off of nervous or unsettled animals. Check with your vet about it. It may seem cruel but it is much kinder than having the cat get into trouble at the campground. They also have fully enclosed cat "corrals" that some people use so the cat can have fresh air. I would solve the problem at home before trying it on the road.

Good luck!
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Lawman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7940
Our old cat will pull out of a harness. However, we make him wear a collar that has our cell phone numbers on it. He likes to sneak out, and can be hard to catch.
Lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
www.kittywalk.com
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
thanks..I ordered the kittywalk on eBay a few days ago. I might try the collar first before trying a harness. i think a collar can stay on but i wouldn't be happy leaving them in harnesses.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We use the Good Sam collars with the phone number on them.
Ours are 'inside kitty's' they go to the door, look out, but will not go outside, we keep them in cat carriers on the bed while traveling.
Worked so far....
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
thanks Ozz. I was wondering if keeping them inside all the time was going to be OK...guess it is!!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Our cats love it...but only when we arrive, it's 'stress city' while on the road. One gets sick, one meows all the time, and the third is OK. When we get somewhere, they all sit by the screen door, taking it all in, or on the back of the love-seat looking out the window, very content.
We love them, and enjoy the quietness of Cats. I like dogs, but tire easily of the barking, & yapping too often permitted by rude and inconsiderate pet owners.
Folks, we do not enjoy listening to your dog barking while you are at Walmart.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote