Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #141
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kcaravelli

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I agree completely with the premise that the RV industry is a "relic" in the manufacturing industry, however, the question is "How do we continue to satisfy our RVing needs WITHOUT supporting this industry?" Make our own?. It seems the only thing these folks understand is the $$$$$$. It seems the only way to get anything done in this world today is to affect the bottom line. So do we all quit buying for a few years until they get their act together? or do we buy and constantly complain? They know they have us over a barrel. We want their product so much we are willing to accept lower quality. What a dilemna that puts us in....To buy or not to buy, is akin to "RV or not to RV". If we continue to push for the "Perfect RV", we may end up pushing ourselves out of the market. I know many of us cannot afford a High end unit, so we settle for something less expensive and figure we may have to put in some "sweat equity" to maintain it. What is nice about fulltiming, is that you can usually avoid the weather extremes, I know I have the last four years......
My friend I am afraid you are mistaken, RV munufactures have been closing left and right. The onlyh ones that will stay open are the ones we support. That is our choice and if they don't build quality, we should not buy them.
kcaravelli...fine, then stop complaining and go buy an SOB, we have all been very patient and courteous, but I for one am tired of your diatribe.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #142
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What Phil is saying is that if you want a quality Rv comparable to the quality in the auto industry you need to take up another hobby. We have accepted the quality because there is nothing we can do about it other than not buy any brand and take up Golf. The choice is to purchase a Rv any brand any price range and deal with the poor workmanship and low quality issue as they come up. I have not yet come across a RV forum were folks do not report problems. Is there a Forum were the post read.... I did not have a problem with my RV today.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #143
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
QUOTE: My friend I am afraid you are mistaken, RV munufactures have been closing left and right. The onlyh ones that will stay open are the ones we support. That is our choice and if they don't build quality, we should not buy them.

So, I guess your answer is to NOT buy anything from the RV industry. This would surely put an end to this discussion and to RVing as we know it. I would suggest you buy a $1,000,000 rig and then maybe you will be happy with the quality. Good luck with that!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #144
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I am sorry, but this guy does not get the message. Like Phil, I am tired of his pushing this on and on. Agree to disagree. Go buy something that you think is right for you, and leave us poor, uneducated morons in peace.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #145
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
This is MY humble opinion. As this thread has moved to the quality of the RV industry in general and the Montana line specifically, that we as consumers should vote with our dollars, then this applies as well to the PC software industry. Most of us purchase PCs with Microsoft Windows in that is the price range we can afford or are willing to pay. We put up with all of the problems, virus, hacking etc... that the quality of the product does not prevent. So we must spend more money to purchase other software in hopes it will protect us. As I look at it in this manner, maybe a more detailed look into the Apple PCs is in order. From the outside it appears they do not have the same problems as the Microsoft operating system. It will cost more up front, but maybe the overall cost for operating the PC will be less.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #146
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Keith,

There is no such thing as an "All Weather RV." Just like there is no "Perfect" computer operating system. We are trying to present this analogy so you will better understand.

First let me define an "All Weather RV." To me and you, an "All Weather RV" is a RV that can maintain a constant 72 degrees (without aftermarket help) in any United States' clime or place. That is what you are looking for. It does not exist.

RVs, mobile homes, and similar vehicles cannot meet this definition. It is impossible. The walls are too thin and those qualities that make a RV or mobile home a RV or mobile home would be lost.

I have lived in mobile homes with no slides and dual pane windows and the definition could not be met. I have owned MHs that also had some drafts and could not meet the definition. I had a Holiday Rambler Imperial 36' Diesel Pusher that could not cool down in very hot climates, even with two A/Cs. It did OK in cold climates. I owned a Monaco Diplomat 40' Diesel Pusher, a $200,000 coach, and it had a few drafts and it was difficult to keep a constant 72 degrees in very hot climates. Our current Montana 3750FL seems to maintain its temps very well, but is it an "All Weather RV"? NO, as it cannot maintain a "constant" 72 degrees in any clime or place. There is just no such thing as an "All Weather RV."

You say that you have been full timing for the past two years, yet, per your profile and other posts, you say that you are still working at Microsoft full time. True full timers do not have full time jobs requiring them to stay in one place. They have the luxury to travel to beat the heat or cold. Their traveling allows their Montana's to be an "All Weather RV." Travelling is their aftermarket help that allows them to meet the "All Weather RV" definition, per se.

We make do with what we have and can afford. New RV's that are not "All Weather RVs" will continue to be produced, just like Microsoft announced Windows 8, when all previous Windows versions have yet to be perfected.

I trust you understand.

Good luck,

Joe
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #147
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
My wife and I use a heating blanket in the evenings to help cut back the propane use through the night. We did this at campgrounds that had electric. The "Artic Package" is a great sales gimic. When I replaced the insulation that came off after a "China Bomb" experience, I found the floor area is only 1-1/2" batted on one side. No R-rating there. Haven't experienced the low temperatures yet, but we will be soon I think. Small space heaters with a blower or fan are helpful before hitting the heating blanket.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #148
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
hi all. We just happened to meet the Northern Regional Keystone rep. from Indiana yesterday in of all places New Foundland, Canada. One of the things he pointed out to me was that my artic package on the floor has a R-14 rating. Interesting because I didn't think I saw anything under there except that bubble alumimun sheet.

I like many RVers wish that there was more insualtion in our trailers....oh well, life goes on.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #149
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We are not fulltimers maybe we are longtimers. We never winterize our Monty. We built a campsite in our yard so we could have her ready at a moments notice. Last winter we had severely cold weather several weeks running, yes it burned propane..... and even more when we used it during cold weather. Nothing froze, nothing broke, we were extremely pleased. You can choose to have travel freedom with some inconvenience in a Monty or some similar quality RV or you can choose some other way, choice is one of the most beautiful things about travel in our wonderful America. IMHO Larry P.S. It has cost me more to maintain my cos. and my personal computer in the last 10 years than to maintain my RVs over the last 40 yrs. I would also venture to say that there are a lot more satisfied RV owners than dissatisfied. Yet the latters are much more vocal than the former. IMHO
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #150
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mazboy

hi all. We just happened to meet the Northern Regional Keystone rep. from Indiana yesterday in of all places New Foundland, Canada. One of the things he pointed out to me was that my artic package on the floor has a R-14 rating. Interesting because I didn't think I saw anything under there except that bubble alumimun sheet.

I like many RVers wish that there was more insualtion in our trailers....oh well, life goes on.
The insulation is supossed to be on the other side of the aluminum sheet. However, even if it has R-60, that won't help with the drafts.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #151
kcaravelli
Established Member

M.O.C. #11481
[quote]quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Quote:
Originally posted by mazboy

The insulation is supossed to be on the other side of the aluminum sheet. However, even if it has R-60, that won't help with the drafts.
Ah yes, the drafts....I do remember that topic.
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #152
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well our 3400 can maintain a constant 72 degrees in any clime or place..Of course we only use it in two climes or places.Florida in the winter and Ohio in the summer.That is the advantage of having wheels you can move it to match the weather.

My Draft post caused big stir. So, OK we do not have drafts...So tell me How come my feet are cold when sitting at the PC desk. How come my feet are cold under the dinning room table. How come with all the doors and windows closed does dust and sand get into the camper when a moderate wind blows.

Where does the cold air come from in the side area.. There IS insulation in the slides. We drilled a couple of holes in our opposing slide for a Satellite cable mod and wound out ..Insulation. So where does that cold air (not a draft) come from?????
Old 07-25-2011, 01:46 AM   #153
Rancher Will
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11227
Over the last decades I have learned that "All Weather" as applied to RV's is subjective, just as it is with anything else. We use our Montana 3750FL all year around in Colorado and are pleased with it, Summer and Winter. We manage and adjust for temperatures as needed just as we do in our ranch homes and cow camps.

Even my Cowboy Bedrole is "All Weather" since I use it in all four seasons in the mountains. Many times I have brushed snow off of my bedrole in the morning before I put on my hat and get out to fix breakfast over a fire and call up my horses. And, sometimes in summer, I sleep on top of the blankets, just under the tarp when it is really warm. So, I guess my bedrole can be called all weather.
Rancher Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #154
AJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #11247
tHIS IS MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT.... We are in the mountains above Co. Springs. Yes we have the artic package and yes it has been cool Anyway my tanks froze for the first time a couple days ago. SO no water except to run outside and fill a bucket LOL. For the past month its been 40 and 50 for high and -04 an 14 at night. Past week has been much colder. High of 12 today. So from what you all say I guess I am not in bad shape. We do have showers available (short walk). Heat.. Well elect is free, so we are running the fireplace, and 3 small heaters during the day and 2 heaters at night. Have not turned on the furnace. Propane cost money. But I suppect it will only get worse so we are trying to decide to move south in Mid Jan or stick it out.
AJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #155
AJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #11247
I will try this again. THIS IS MY STORY AND I AM STICKING TO IT. I was really geting worried till I read some of the other posts. We have been in the mountains above Co. Springs for a couple months now. (LOVE IT). All has been well till the past couple days. Days to LOW TO MID 40's and nights in the teens. NO problems. Then earlier this week the temp dropped to highs in the teens and lows around -8. YES WE HAVE THE ARTIC package. Inside we have been able to keep the temp between 65 and 70+ using the fireplace and 2 small elect heaters during the day and just 2 heaters at night. Elect is free, Propane cost $$. All tanks are frozen except for galley. (2 days now) DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO THAW AND DRAIN A TANK WHEN IT IS FROZEN AND TEMP IS IN THE TEENS?
AJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #156
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Well to the best of my knowledge, you have to run the furnace to put heat into the belly and that is what keeps the tanks and water lines from freezing. If you were only using electric heat that means no heat was getting into the belly, thus freezing the tanks. You could try running the furnace and keeping most of the floor vents closed to push as much heat as possible into the belly. Hope you have cracked a tank or water line.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #157
GA Mountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AJH

All tanks are frozen except for galley. (2 days now) DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO THAW AND DRAIN A TANK WHEN IT IS FROZEN AND TEMP IS IN THE TEENS?
You will have to find a way to heat the area the tanks are in. I have in the past done this with both a hair dryer and a low profile electric heater. This worked on the JayFlight as the area the tanks where in was inclosed, but had lots of room for the warm air to circulate. I was able to put the heater in through the slidemotor access. And you really have to make SURE that nothing will get to hot and burn. If the area has insuation around the tanks you would need the stick on tank heaters. I have no idea what you will find around your tanks. I am guessing that the frozen 2 are under the storage bay and get no heat at all from the living area, the galley tank being over the axles does, also more hot water.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD
GA Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #158
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You mean the arctic package does not work..I thought they worked in the Arctic..or did they mean Arctic, Alabama
Old 12-09-2011, 02:20 AM   #159
CaptainRandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #11312
Hi guys

3750FL with 5 slides, in Pinedaledale, WY (100 miles south of Yellowstone Nat'l Park). This morning only down to 0F, been -8F last few days, expect -30 fore winter is over. have vinal skirt arount unit & heat trace on incomming water, run firepace & 1000 watt heater in bedroom, firnace set at 50F at night, 65F day & it cycles off & on about every hour. So far so good, propane use a little high but thats normal.
CaptainRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:32 AM   #160
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

You mean the arctic package does not work..I thought they worked in the Arctic..or did they mean Arctic, Alabama
Rich. I think everyone on the MOC forum misunderstands 'Artic Package'. It means that when it gets really cold outside, it feels like your in the Artic while inside the Monty

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote