Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2009, 03:32 AM   #1
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Fredericksburg Tx.

There are several CG's near Fredericksburg, Tx. which is the best to stay at for Oktoberfest?

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:56 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Trukdoc,
I'd get the one closest to the place where you will be throwing back those steins of beer! Also check to see if they have a crawl path. That way you won't get your fingers stepped on as you're crawling home!

Sounds like fun. Enjoy.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We stayed a couple of times at Oakwood RV Resort [78 FM 2093, Reservations 1-800-366-9306?]. They're a good sam park. WE haven't been there during that time but the park is a pretty nice older park, mostly pull throughs but the sites are close together. There's one in town that Countryguy stayed in but I believe they had a problem with them.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:13 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Skip,

You have a VERY good memory!!

Believe it was Fredericksburg RV Park, very close to center of town. And, no, we will not go back there due to the owners attitude. (The disclaimer: Our experience, our choice to not go back.)

Next trip back we stayed at the Fredericksburg KOA. That was a good place to stay, further out from town, but does not meet Dennis' requirements of crawling close, but the staff was nice and we would go back again. Have not tried your suggested campground.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:52 AM   #5
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Oakwood gets a good vote. However is stumbling distance, too far to crawl.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Carol;
The way you wrote about them made it very memorable.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Skip

OHHHHHH that?? LOL

On Edit: Gosh Skip, your memory is better than mine, I had to really look to find that post and why it stuck in your memory banks.

Here it is, WOW, pre Mrs.CountryGuy days!

Disclaimer, as usual, this was our experience and our opinion.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We make several trips to Fredericksburg each year but have never taken the Monty there (have a hunting cabin there).
The Fredericksburg RV Park is by far the closest to town. And is even within walking distance to Octoberfest if you really wanted, about a mile or so.
Lady Bird Johnson Municiple Park and Oakwood RV park are just a little farther south, probably 2-3 miles. KOA is maybe 5 miles east of town.
Octoberfest is just west of downtown.
Whichever one you chose, you probably should make reservations soon. I know it can be difficult to find a hotel room during Octoberfest. The campgrounds probably fill up also.
campgroundreviews.com for Fredericksburg
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've stayed at Fredericksburg RV Park and at Oakwood RV Park. We preferred the Fredericksburg RV Park but both serve the purpose just fine. There's also a KOA just outside town. Fredericksburg RV Park takes Passport America, or at least they did when we were there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
I plan to spend Thursday in Hico and take the scenic route down Hwy 281 or even FM 16. Will flip the coin Friday morning. We have reservations at KOA. As for getting back to the trailer I learned to low crawl pretty good while in the Army, does that help. I wonder if the Taxi drivers are the same as in Germany? That will shake DW up...lol.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #11
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Don't forget to go to the Coffee Cup restaurant in Hico ... FABULOUS pie!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
trukdoc... good choice on the campground.

If you were staying at Fredricksburg RV Park, low crawling back to your site you would probably get runover by a 10 year old driving an SUV.

Carol - I share your opinion, but you'll find our opinions aren't what counts. Private property or not it's illegal to allow an unlicensed driver to drive alone especially when you allow the public on your property and they must follow the laws, too. Learning to drive on a farm or in open spaces does not make you an accomplished driver - I have heard testimonials of wide-open-spaces-trained drivers who absolutely freaked when they encountered "Big City" driving. A 10 year old may not have the reasoning or ability to understand the dangers of 2-3 tons of hardware driving around where others are recreationing, that's why there are laws against it. I would have left too. Bottom line - No matter what, opinion versus the law, the law will win. I can't imagine what would happen to a 10 year old's mind who experiences an unfortunate and illegal accident.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rick, we also stayed at the KOA once and it was decent, too. Although our favorite of the three we've stayed at in Fredericksburg is Fredericksburg RV Park, we'd not hesitate to stay in any of the three. I bet Oktoberfest is excellent in Fredericksburg. Enjoy.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #14
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Thanks for the tip. I have been through Hico many times in the work truck going to a job site we worked in Goldwaite. Never had the opportunity to stop. Looks like a neat place.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #15
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Be sure and practice your chicken dance before you head out to Oktoberfest! You will probably see it several times if you stay very long. Those Germans love to party.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote