Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Water inlet leak

We have a water leak right were the hook up goes into the rig. We have tried several things to figure out what is happening, but alas are not coming up with anything. It does not appear to be leaking inside (at least we don't see anything dripping out the bottom). We checked the washer.. it is good. We have an older rig (2004) and so we don't have that new service center. Has anyone had this problem and what was your solution? Thanks, Myrna

Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
We had the end of our hose not seal properly, so I picked up an extension piece,like those ones with the spring wrapped around it. It seemed to seal against the hose washer better, we eventually replaced the hose and that also stopped the leak.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
as racerjoe mentioned about the hose end. I have had some that were bent or notched so even with a new washer there was not a good seal.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sometimes the female connector on the unit can go bad. In that case, you need to replace it. I think 4 screws hold it in place. Removing the screws will allow you to pull it out to make repairs.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Myrna, if you want, we can take a look at it when you arrive. Remind me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Thanks Steve, but we can't wait that long. We have no water right now. Getting pretty creative about brushing teeth etc. Please don't suggest we use the water pump, that is another issue... Just an FYI for anyone working on this, the part costs $83.00. Thanks for all the suggestions, we have tried a new hose and reducing pressure. I think Stiles is right, it needs replacing. I guess when your rig is 5 yrs old and full timed in for 4 yrs, you have to expect some repairs.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Myrna,

Do you have water dripping under the rig?

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:04 AM   #8
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Assume from what you said, that you are hooked to city water, but it drips? Also, have you water flow in your rig (brushing teeth?) and from the hose? I'd check the little backflow button inside the hookup under the screen. Just an idea. Pry the screen filter out of the water hookup and stick your finger in to release. Put the screen back in and hook up the hose. Worth a try.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Colleen we didn't have any water dripping under the rig.. it was all coming from the connector. The backflow button was also not the problem. To quote the repairman, "after 4 to 6 years, these hookups can cause problems and need to be replaced. I have replaced lots of them on all brands." The filter screen was very clean, thanks to our in line filter. Interesting to look inside while it was out. The carpet was right there and lots of trash. Even a plastic bag with a couple of screws from something. The area inside was all dry. Why it wears out? I have no idea. I just know that now it is fixed and it works.... Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:14 AM   #10
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I found slip connctors at Walmart in the garden dept. Half the connector will screw onto the fitting of your rig which you leave there the other half screws onto the hose end, when you set up you just pull the slip on the end on your hose and slip it overthe connecter on the rig. They are black and brass and cost 5.95. The second advanage was the half on the rig is the exact size of the rubber tip of air nozzel when I blow air into water line to winterize. I have had them for a year now and they are still holding up with no leaks and are a time saver when setting up. I also have one on backwash connector. Good luck
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:28 AM   #11
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Sounds like you are in the market for a new water supply box four screws and a little caulk. I also use water hose quick disconnects with a small amount of pipe dope to help seal. For now you can use on board water tank for your water needs.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote