Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #21
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
Hey Scott & Pati - This is your neighbor from the 2014 MT rally - thanks for the good writeup, and I'll be on the roof tomorrow checking this out.

jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Those of us who are able to attend the fall rally and take the factory tour know exactly how the saw dust, metal chips , etc get there. It is common throughout the RV industry.

We have ventured in the deep recesses of our S&B and found all kind of left over construction material from 35 years ago.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #23
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimc

Hey Scott & Pati - This is your neighbor from the 2014 MT rally - thanks for the good writeup, and I'll be on the roof tomorrow checking this out.

Hey nice to here from ya! Yes we do remember! Good luck and be careful up there.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #24
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
What I found behind the walls of the basement was...someone's size 12 had stepped on the 4" dryer vent type hose used to connect the furnace to one of the many heater vent runs of the coach. The aluminum foil material of the hose was cut in half so any heat from the furnace was taking the path of least resistance and dumping into the basement and down onto the black and gray water tanks and out the coach. I had to fix it myself because...when I called and spoke to the dealer they suggested I call Montana about it and both the dealer and Montana said that they would fix it by covering the rip in the hose with duct tape. As we all know duct tape would last about as long as...well you know. So I got a solid articulating piece of aluminum hose called Z-Flex and some foil insulation tape and cut the old material off and spliced the too short original hose to the Z-Flex hose and connected the Z-Flet to one of the plenum of the furnace. Then used the foil insulation tape to tightly secure it all together. While I was squeezed up in there I improved the crappy workmanship of the other heater hoses coming off the furnace plenum. I also straightened electrical lines that were entwined in the heater hoses and water hoses. Vacuumed up sawdust and cutout plugs left behind after the build and just fixed anything that was not to my standards. Like the stairs that go up to the bedroom and bathroom one of the stringers of the stairs was not touching the main floor and was only screwed into the wall of the hallway...so every time you walked on it it would flex. I used wooden shims to support the stair stringers on both sides so they touched the main floor. Now the stairs are solid. So as scott-pati said "Are you sure you want to venture in the basement? There are evil things lurking down there."
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #25
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

What I found behind the walls of the basement was...someone's size 12 had stepped on the 4" dryer vent type hose used to connect the furnace to one of the many heater vent runs of the coach. The aluminum foil material of the hose was cut in half so any heat from the furnace was taking the path of least resistance and dumping into the basement and down onto the black and gray water tanks and out the coach. I had to fix it myself because...when I called and spoke to the dealer they suggested I call Montana about it and both the dealer and Montana said that they would fix it by covering the rip in the hose with duct tape. As we all know duct tape would last about as long as...well you know. So I got a solid articulating piece of aluminum hose called Z-Flex and some foil insulation tape and cut the old material off and spliced the too short original hose to the Z-Flex hose and connected the Z-Flet to one of the plenum of the furnace. Then used the foil insulation tape to tightly secure it all together. While I was squeezed up in there I improved the crappy workmanship of the other heater hoses coming off the furnace plenum. I also straightened electrical lines that were entwined in the heater hoses and water hoses. Vacuumed up sawdust and cutout plugs left behind after the build and just fixed anything that was not to my standards. Like the stairs that go up to the bedroom and bathroom one of the stringers of the stairs was not touching the main floor and was only screwed into the wall of the hallway...so every time you walked on it it would flex. I used wooden shims to support the stair stringers on both sides so they touched the main floor. Now the stairs are solid. So as scott-pati said "Are you sure you want to venture in the basement? There are evil things lurking down there."
Glad you made it out alive! It is quite a mess down there is it not? Seems like almost everyone that has ventured down the rabbit hole has found a vent hose that was disconnected.

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote