Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2004, 04:50 PM   #1
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Land Line Phone Hook-up

We checked in at Silverridge RV Park here in Mesa Az. Sat., and had the phone line turned on today. I plugged into the outside receptical with the phone line and then plugged in the phone on the inside, no dial tone. I ended up running the line through the window to get it to work. Has anyone had problems with these connections on the Monty? I pulled the covers on both the inside and out and checked the continuity on all four wires, which was ok. There must be a problem with one of the recepticals. Any help or advise would be appriciated.
Bill

William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 05:52 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Bill, ours works just fine
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 07:10 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you have continuity on all lines, I can't imagine what might be wrong.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 10:32 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
William H. Collier,
First time I tried to use our phone I had the same problem. Turned out it was the phone that came with the Montana. Went down to RS and bought a new one and worked fine. Good luck. HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:23 AM   #5
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
No problems with my phone...
Montana_1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:01 AM   #6
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
I have the same problem but haven't resolved it yet. Only had a phone line available once and had to bring it in through the window. Otherwise I use my cell phone for modem access.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:37 AM   #7
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
No problem here and I had the dealer install a extra phone jack on the wall next to the slide.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:59 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had that problem with just the rear jack but it turned out to be a loose wire. I get some noise on that jack, too, but it's useable. Like stiles, if you have continuity I can't imagine why it doesn't work unless the wires are not on the right posts. Any phone company people around you who could check it out?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 01:04 PM   #9
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Most phone jacks will have 4 wires in them. The dial tone (2 wires) must be connected to the two middle wires looking directly into the jack. Check to see if it is miswired.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 05:48 PM   #10
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
We had the same problem with the jack for the computer, phone wouldn't work etc but the one that hangs up worked fine - turned out that inside the wires weren't connected even though they did look fine. Now both work fine - the phone that came with the monty also wasn't working (they said they would replace but to date nothing) - I bought a new phone and all is well even though rarely have the need.

Safe travels.
Merry Christmas
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:14 PM   #11
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
You guys got a phone with your monty's? We didn't receive one. Am I missing something?

Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 04:08 PM   #12
BusyBees
Established Member

M.O.C. #1192
Unless phone wire is different in the US from Canada you can check the wiring yourself by the removing the covers. Standard house lines carry 4 wires. Red, green, yellow, and black. The red and green are normally used as a pair for the 1st line. Check the wiring at the outside plug and, if 2 wires are attached, compare the colours with the ones on the inside jack. It is possible the jacks are wired on different pairs.

If the wires are attached, and the pairs are the same, but still no dial tone, then assume there is a break somewhere. The solution is to change pairs to other 2 colours.

Good luck.
BusyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:23 AM   #13
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I'm with PackerFan, you all got phones with your rigs? Ours is only 2 weeks old and we didn't get a phone. The jack is there in the computer desk, but since we haven't been out yet (next week!) and won't be at a park with phone service for quite a while, I don't know how to check the plug to see if it works. We live in a townhome and I can't get the rig close enough to run a line to it.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 09:06 AM   #14
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
UPDATE: I didn't get a phone with the Monty either, kind of glad I didn't, probably would have had to replace it like I did the stereo system anyway.
The phone line problem turned out to be the outside receptical, replaced that and it works fine. I can now get service without the wire running throught the window.
Thanks everyone.
Bill
Old 12-24-2004, 10:49 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glad to hear you got it working, Bill. Our phone is in a cabinet. When we're hooked up to a phone line Vicki plugs her laptop into the front jack where the phone used to live and I use the one on the computer desk. 'bout the only time we use that phone is when we're not sure a line is working I'll take the handset outside and plug into the park's line to make sure I get a dial tone. Otherwise it just takes up space in a cabinet.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 11:32 PM   #16
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
Our ph jack/computer hook up at the computer desk, has never worked. The one in the back of the trailer works fine. Who knows why? PS...the "computer desk" is long gone. He removed the sliding shelf & now I have a great storage space for books,etc.It's the only storage space in living/kitchen area I can reach.Stilts should come standard in most 5th whs...for short ppl like me.
Montana_440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 11:47 PM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackerFan

You guys got a phone with your monty's? We didn't receive one. Am I missing something?

Scott
Don't feel left out Scott we didn't get one either but we use the cell phone 100% of the time and as of yet have not required a hardwired phone. We never even checked the line coming into the trailer to see if it works or not.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 02:45 AM   #18
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
William H. Collier, what did you replace your stereo system with ? Did you try to find one the same size?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 11:08 AM   #19
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Van Man, I replaced it with a Koss KS3102 I purchased from Best Buy for around $200. The unit is a little larger, as is the sub-woofer but fit just fine. The work came in when installing the speakers which are about 4 times larger. It wasnt that bad though, I disassembled the panel and cut the holes a little bigger and put it back together. There is no comparison in ease of use and quality of sound.
Bill
Old 12-27-2004, 03:09 PM   #20
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I had the same problem the first time I used my phone jack. Turned out it was just a sloppy job, I removed the jack on the outsite and found that the bare wires were touching each other, not good. A few adjustments, not it works great.

As far as the stereo goes, the quest that comes with the Montanas is junk, had mine replaced twice, and it still sucks. Just bought the Sony DAVBC150 Home Theather System $299, actually got the model from someone else on the fourm. The speakers fit in good, and the system is great. 5 disc and all the extras, a great upgrade. You can use the origianl wiring too.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote