Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
WalMart.... Overnight?

We just had another WalMart open up here in Bakersfield. This one is a Super Store. It took over 8 years to get the final approval and all the lawsuits out of the way.

So the other day when we were shopping I asked about overnight stays in their parking lot. They said it was OK and that if you do stay overnight to park on the west side of the lot. Unfortunately that is right next to the freeway so it might be a bit noisy.

The store is located at the corner of Panama Lane and highway 99. It is on the east side of the freeway. For those of you familiar with this area there used to be a very large Camping World store just across the street from the new WalMart. CW has moved about a mile from this location and are now co-located with Stier's RV at the corner of Harris and Wible Rd.

As you exit the freeway you want to get into the left lane. There are a couple of left turn lanes at the signal light. Just turn left and keep to your left. This will have you in the parking lot headed toward the freeway. There was one camper and a couple of 18 wheelers there the day we checked.

There is a In and Out burger joint in addition to at least two or three other fast food places. There is a Denny's just across the street. Of course there is a McDonald's in the store. A nice deli section too.

Right to the east of the WM there is a Lowes Hardware store.

This intersection is a busy area. Be prepared for a lot of traffic.

I checked for RV supplies while in WM. Don't plan on getting any supplies here! They have one little 6 foot shelf area that has just the basics. They have sewer hose, wheel chocks, a few chemicals for the black tank and that is about all they had. Fortunately CW is very close and they have everything!

If you have any questions about this just drop me an email or PM or post here and I'll try to answer any question you might have.

Happy RVing,
Dennis

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks for the info, especially about CW moving. That's where I had my exploding tires replaced (different brand, different trailer, but they were made in China nonetheless). I think at the time there was a huge empty field across the street to the East. I replaced the tires with Goodyear Marathons, then traded in that trailer 6 months afterwards and got the Monty.

The area must have changed a lot. I don't remember that many lanes but being 4 years ago, why not. I'll have to swing by on our next trip north and check it out.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Thanks for the information Dennis! Although, I must admit that when I seen the name of this thread I was thinking it was going to be a thread like I’ve seen many rounds of on another forum I visit.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
You might want to consider adding this to the "Free Campgrounds" site at http://www.freecampgrounds.com/.
db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
When I was first reading your post HamRad, I thought that maybe you would be telling us that Walmart was not allowing Overnight Stops. Then I would of suggested trying a BestBuys....heard they even allowed you to put a tent at their front door. Oh wait that was only for "Black Friday"
I'd sure like to see what happens if someone puts a tent at the door now!

Sorry couldn't resist....I was really bothered when our home area BestBuys were allowing camping overnight ( starting 3 days before Black Friday ) for customers to be in line for their opening at 5am on Black Friday...when I heard this I was Thankful that Walmart cares for their customers and allows camping on the lot all year, not just a sale gimmick....Thumbs up for Walmarts!
Denise
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If it's windy, do they allow you to hammer pegs into the blacktop?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

If it's windy, do they allow you to hammer pegs into the blacktop?
Yeah, I was wondering about that and camp fires.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PartyCrashers

When I was first reading your post HamRad, I thought that maybe you would be telling us that Walmart was not allowing Overnight Stops. Then I would of suggested trying a BestBuys....heard they even allowed you to put a tent at their front door. Oh wait that was only for "Black Friday"
I'd sure like to see what happens if someone puts a tent at the door now!

Sorry couldn't resist....I was really bothered when our home area BestBuys were allowing camping overnight ( starting 3 days before Black Friday ) for customers to be in line for their opening at 5am on Black Friday...when I heard this I was Thankful that Walmart cares for their customers and allows camping on the lot all year, not just a sale gimmick....Thumbs up for Walmarts!
Denise
Denise, I don't mean to burst a bubble, BUT not all Walmarts allow overnight parking. I have been travelling for three years and use Wally World quite a bit and I recall in some states, (please don't ask me where now, CRS is getting worse), they have posted signs about no overnight parking. Probably the exception rather than the rule, but one should always ask first. BTW, we have never had to use a parking lot yet, although some RV Resorts seem like parking lots.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What Phil says is very true. More and more Wallmarts and other big box stores are not allowing overnight parking. We noticed when in Branson, Mo the many no overnight parking signs around the city. We must remember to ask first and that overnight parking is a privilege and not a right. Note the term is overnight parking....not over night camping.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
In almost all cases where parking is not allowed, it is Walmart following local rules and regulations. There are publications for Walmart's that allow over-nighting. In all cases it is up to the manager, who is required to follow local laws, so be sure to ask the manager if it is alright, and where to park. The worse you can get for asking is a "no." Then you just move on.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
My purpose in posting the information about parking overnight at the new WalMart in Bakersfield was simply to help anyone who might need a place to overnight. I know that there are many WMs that do not allow such an arrangement.

All I can say is what I was told by WM personnel and from what I actually observed. If you try to stay overnight in the new WM and they say no then simply get back in your rig and drive about 5 miles to the WM on Rosdale Hwy and Coffee Rd. Every night we have checked the parking lot there have been a minimum of 8 to 10 rigs obviously overnighting.

If they tell you you cannot park over night then come back to my place and you can park in my driveway! If more than one shows up you can park on the street in front of my house! I do have full 50 amp electrical hookup with city water and even a sewer connection if needed. If you're on the street we can run an extension cord for you.

Thank you all for the various comments. But the purpose was to simply provide a bit of travelers information regarding the Bakersfield area.

Dennis
Old 12-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #12
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Sorry HamRad, you are right in your post....You are being polite to let people who may be traveling in the area know that the new Walmart Super Store there is an option for an overstay.

Your post just reminded me of the recent tactic put on by Best Buys...as you can guess I was really bothered that they had allowed tents to be put up at their doors, and all just to gain publicity on the News to generate sales. And I apologize for venting

I appreciated that Walmart have always put the customer first and allowed this over night parking.(some Walmarts).

Again HamRad Thank You for looking out for your fellow Moc'ers and giving us the heads up.

But since your offering staying at the "HamRads Estates" might be more fun, we'll keep this in mind if we travel in your direction
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:16 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Can I use your HF rig for about a week? Connected to the beam antenna?
Old 12-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Hey Dennis, are meals included when staying at Camp HamRad?

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Waynem,
Sorry OM but all I've got is a vertical and some wire. But you're certainly welcome to hookup.

Ray,
Of course meals are included. Well at least one! When our daughter and her husband lived here we had it made. We had a free pass at BJ's and Famous Dave's. Man that was nice.

Just give us a call before you show up.

Dennis
Old 12-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #16
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Hamrod,
In ref to the CW about a mile away from the new WM, does CW allow you to stay overnight? If so, which one do you prefer. It appears on the map, CW is also right next to HWY 99. Might stay one or the other on our way to QZ.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Grooving Grandpa,
The CW is relatively close to the freeway. They are co-located with Stiers'RV. Stiers used to have an onsite hookup place for about 10 rigs. They now use it exclusively for testing the units they sell. What was nice was that you could do an overnight stay with no problem. Several of our friends we set up there. But a couple of years ago a new RV park opened directly across from Stiers. As soon as they opened Stiers stopped the overnight parking. I think they made some sort of arrangement with the RV Park.

So I doubt you can stay overnight at Stiers. But I'll ask the next time I'm over there. Which will be soon.

In all our travels we have yet to stay overnight in a WM. If you could stay at Stiers / CW vs WM I'd choose Stiers / CW. The reason being that you'd have pretty much only other RVers parked around you.

If I were going to stay in one of the WMs here in town I'd choose the one on Rosedale Highway. It is a much larger area and easier to maneuver your rig around. Plus they have many more choices for food and or shopping. They have good security there too.

Don't forget our driveway. If it's not occupied you are most welcome to spend a night or two. Plus you get someone who can answer just about any question about the area.

We will be looking forward to meeting you in our little town.

Dennis and Mary Kay