Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2009, 07:01 AM   #1
Bulldog 73-06

M.O.C. #9303
elevation profiles

We just got back from a fantastic month in the Southwest. Along the way we ran in to some pretty steep climbs. For future trips I'd like to find a site that would give me elevation profiles to help make route choices. Any ideas?
Thanks, Fred

Bulldog 73-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
There is a book called Mountain Directory West (and also East) that gives a pretty complete description of major passes and steep grades. The West version covers 11 western states and is worth carrying with you.

I also use Delorme's Topo software, which will give you the elevation profile of any route you select. Neither of these is 100% accurate, so you should ask on the forum if your trip includes secondary highways in the mountains.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
USGS maps.. Used the paper maps for years backpacking. They show elevation. The closer the line are together the steeper the climb.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Actually, there are a couple of companies who have accurate topographic mapping programs instead of having to buy separate paper maps but getting all the ones you need can be pretty expensive (but way cheaper than buying all the paper USGS maps).

Delorme has a topo map program but I have "TOPO!" and it has excellent detail but only for California and it was about $50. Each state or set of states is another about-the-same cost. It is also not that easy-to-use, but I use it for 10-70 mile backpacking trips. Long driving trips planning with it would be a lot of work.

If you don't need EXACT details you can purchase Trailer Life's Directory Campground Navigator 2009 (I have 2008). This allows you to plan or plot your trip and after getting the "Directions" and creating waypoints, each waypoint will post the highest elevation for the segment. The program is affordable, not THAT easy to use, but will get the job done. It is VERY RV/Camping specific but a good program for what we do. Unlike other travel plotting programs elevation is important because it is geared to RVers who need to know grades and roads not good for rigs.

If you need more information on these feel free to email or PM me. I have had experience with Delorme's Map-n-GO & Street Atlas, Microsoft's Streets and Trips, and several other mapping programs because I am a nut about planning trips with great detail.

Good luck and happy plotting.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Agree with firetrucker on the Mountain Directories. Easy to read and use. Always nice to know what's up ahead. You can get them at Camping World.
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote