Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Elise L Slenczka
Established Member

M.O.C. #8224
Camp Grounds around New Orleans?

Dose anyone have any recommendations for Camp Grounds in or around New Orleans? Been there many times but never noticed camp grounds, that was before we got into camping and the Montana.

Elise L Slenczka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We stayed at KOA West last year. Going to it you wonder what neighborhood you are getting into, but the CG was okay for our stay. It's a parking lot, but the paces are wide and level. No pull through that I saw. They provide a guide to assist you in getting in to your spot. We stayed in a 3400RL with a F350 DRW Long bed and had not problem getting in or out. KOA West New Orleans (504) 467-1792 11129 Jefferson Hwy, New Orleans, LA. I don't advise going into New Orleans on the East Side of I-10. It is really roller coaster and I had to slow down to 25 mph in areas. The west side I-10 is okay. Also, check with local authorities on the Lake Ponchatrain bridge.

There is a new one in/near the French Quarter, Called French Quarter RV Resort, but the fees are $69 a night unless there is a special event, then it is $99 a night.

There are some outside of New Orleans by 20 or so miles that makes it a nice day trip, unless you are imbibing of the spirts.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:53 AM   #3
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
We just stayed at the EAST campground which is no longer a KOA but a great place to stay! Best part is they have a free shuttle to New Orleans and back! I agree with not running I-10 around N.O. WOW what a mess, go figure. We took I-12 accross E-W direction, much better road. Took a city tour and it was great! Hope you enjoy as much as we did! So much good cajun food.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We stayed at the Fairview Riverside State Park in Madisonville, LA. It is a very pretty campground on the Tchefuncte River. You do have to drive to NO, so it's not as convenient as the one mentioned by nunya.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I will "second" the recommendation from Bob n pam in regard to Fairview Riverside State Park. For many years we had camped at Fontainbleau State Park which is just down the road a bit from Fairview Riverside, but Fontainbleau seems to have been affected more by Katrina (hurricane), so we tried out Fairview Riverside. As a result we have a new favorite.

I have to admit that New Orleans has never been our destination. We are either on the way to Florida or just visiting Louisiana.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
Elise L Slenczka
Established Member

M.O.C. #8224
Thanks to all that offered their advice on CGs. We haven't been to NO since Katrina but hope to go this early spring.
Elise L Slenczka is offline   Reply With Quote