Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Honda Generators

Well, I did it. I ordered two Honda 2000s, parallel setup, 12v charging cord to my door for $1936. All I need to do now is find where I can get the gas can/dual fuel line set up. My vendor did not deal with that.

As an aside she reminded me that if I got the gas setup I might void the warranty because it was not Honda approved. I asked her what gas can was Honda approved and she didn't know. Nice lady, however.

All should arrive Wednesday or Thursday. Well, in time for my NE trip at the end of the month.

I am having trouble finding a straight 30A cord that will plug into my trailer, however. Unless I looked to fast, CW did not have it. Any ideas? I want to be able to leave the gens in my TV and still hookup to my RV. It is too far for the 50A cord to reach.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Mike, be prepared to find a 30amp house to RV adapter. The 30amp outlet on my Parallel kit was a house style connector, not the standard RV connector. Some RV dealers have these connectors (especially if they also sell the generators and parallel kits).
You may end up with the correct connector, or they may have added the adapter, just something to check when it arrives.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mike,

I think it was Doug Henry that did the gas can set up for his two Hondas. It is just a regular 5 gallon "boat" type gas can. You have to do some mods to the caps but no biggies in making this setup. You might try doing a "search" and see what you find or email Doug. He can tell you all about it. Before you rush right out and do this you should know that one generator will run almost everything you will need. Seldom do you need to run both at the same time. Only when running your AC and everything else would you need to have them both online.

Good luck.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:05 AM   #4
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
Mike, this is what I use on the Honda's. Works good. It took a while to get it after I ordered it, though.

http://www.wisesales.com/DurationTanks.html
TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:09 AM   #5
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Mike,

I got a 30AMP power cord with a 50AMP female end a Campingworld (I think it was $125). It also comes in handy when at a campground that only has 30AMP because it is SO MUCH lighter than the big 50AMP power cord. I also got the 30AMP to RV adapter that Bob mentioned at Campingworld as well.

I second what Dennis said about the setup that Doug and Robbie use. I have seen it in action and it is simple but oh so efficent.

So, far I have only needed to run both gens together to run the Microwave or the A\C.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:53 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I picked up my 50 to 30, and Straight 50 plug in to 115 adapters at Holiday World, Houston.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Mike,

Here is the parts list. If you need a picture, let me know. This took me about 20 minutes to setup. The cost was around $60. Real simple.

Material List for single fuel tank

1-Honda generator gas caps
1-6 gal. Boat gas tank
Marine tank fitting and hose fitting
6’ of black fuel line (3/8")
1-In-line gas fuel filter
9” metal brake line
Epoxy (purchased at Kragens)
8-hose clamps

I bought the boat tank and Marine fittings at Wal-Mart
The remaining parts I purchased at Kragens, except for the Honda gas caps, which had to be ordered from a Honda small engine dealer ($19).

You need to take the vents out of the gas caps, drill the hole out to 11/32”, place the 9” length of the brake line with the flare down into the cap, leave about 1” sticking out of the cap. Epoxy the metal brake line to the top of the cap.

For the dual setup, you only need to purchase and extra Honda gas cap, and a "T" to go to both generator fuel caps and an additional 9" of 3/8" fuel line.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I have an under the seat 18 gallon marine tank strapped down on my slide out tray. As far as the gas caps I used truck tire valve stems with the rubber gaskets on both sides and the nut, no need for glue, eliminating the possibility of a leak. Make sure the hose you select is "gas line hose". For the parallel kit, I made my own for about 20 bucks, cut off 2 heavy duty short extension cords, a 30 amp receptical and a water tight box. Ive used this setup for 4 years and it works great. Most of this info, including pictures, is available on the internet if you do a search.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Great info. Thanks guys. This should solve both my gas can problem and my cord issue. I new you had the answers.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:57 AM   #10
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
The most recent Gen/Tran parallel kits Ive seen now come with a 30a twistlock to 30a RV adapter. It actually states in bold print on the box "adapter included". Unfortunately mine didnt and it took another trip to CW to get it.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #11
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TMerrell

Mike, this is what I use on the Honda's. Works good. It took a while to get it after I ordered it, though.

http://www.wisesales.com/DurationTanks.html
I have the same thing for both my hondas...works excellent
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #12
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Snownyet

The most recent Gen/Tran parallel kits Ive seen now come with a 30a twistlock to 30a RV adapter. It actually states in bold print on the box "adapter included". Unfortunately mine didnt and it took another trip to CW to get it.
I don't have a twistlock on my 5er. Is this twistlock on the parallel kit? I don't remember that.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:41 AM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mike,

Every monty 5er that I've seen has the twist lock socket for the shore hookup. Perhaps there are some models that are not like that but I've not seen one yet.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:14 AM   #14
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Mike, The generator Parallel kit that I have came with the 30a twist lock connector, not the RV 30a push in connector. So you need to get an adaptor to convert the 30a twist to the RV 30a push in connector. Only something to be aware of, your kit may come with the push in, or may have the adaptor with it. If not then you need to get one.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:59 AM   #15
Berry Patch
Established Member

M.O.C. #351
Mike, eBay has a "Honda Generator-Kipor Generastor Extended System" at a Buy Now Price of $114.95 plus $11.00 shiping. This would be for two generators. There is a also offered a fuel system for extending just one generator. I'm considering buying this system just as soon as I get my 2nd EU2000i.
Dewey
Berry Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I have a hard time understanding how wise it is spending ~$120 dollars when you can make this gas transfer device for less than $60. It is way to simple to make and a real pleasure to use instead of pouring and spilling gas. If you need step-by-step instructions or pictures, just let me know, I'll work on it for you.

Anything I can do to help augment the cost of diesel and promote boondocking, makes me happy.

Robbie

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #17
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Mike,

Every monty 5er that I've seen has the twist lock socket for the shore hookup. Perhaps there are some models that are not like that but I've not seen one yet.

Dennis
Surprised the tech at my dealer also. I have an '03 3575RL. I will have to see what I get when it arrives.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #18
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
They are here. They both work. The parallel setup works great! I am a happy camper. My RV 30A fits the parallel setup. Not for a 50A nonlocking adapter. Anybody know where I can buy one or would like to make one for me. I have no skills for this. I would like to get the 50' 30A currently on sale by CW for $50. If I do I will need a 30A male to 50A nonlocking to go to my 5er.