Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
k0nsa
Established Member

M.O.C. #7073
Send a message via ICQ to k0nsa Send a message via AIM to k0nsa Send a message via Yahoo to k0nsa
LP or Gas???

Just heard from my dealer that the factory called to confirm our 3400RL order and to inform us that they are in the middle of switching from the Onan LP gen sets to the gasoline model and to let us know that it's very likely we will end up with a gasoline generator. According to the dealer this is due to the amount of propane the generator goes through vs. a gas fired model.

Anyone have any experience with the Onana LP gen sets and how quickly they go through a tank of Propane? I'm suprised that there would be that amount of difference in the fuel use. Maybe they both use fuel at the same rate but at least with the gasoline model you wouldn't have to worry about completely depleting your supply of propane.

Any thoughts?

k0nsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bill,

I am shocked to hear that - as gas presents such additional hazards to deal with.

Our Onan 5500LP consumes 4.6 lbs/hr at full load. The gasoline 5500 consumes 0.95 gal/hr at full load. With two full LP tanks, we'll get about 13 hrs. The gas equivalent would consume about 12 gallons in 13 hours. Wonder how big of a tank they will be providing to make it worthwhile?

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,
Using your example and numbers; two full propane tanks equals approx 14 gallons of LP fuel. Using 12 gallons of gasoline would have a slight cost saving per 13 hours of use. As you said; "Wonder how big of a tank they will be providing to make it worthwhile?"
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
The other thing about this is I've been told that you can't tow in CA with three different fuels, i.e. gas, lp, diesel. I don't know that for a fact but that's what I've been told. Seems to me that LP is still the best way to go.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
k0nsa
Established Member

M.O.C. #7073
Send a message via ICQ to k0nsa Send a message via AIM to k0nsa Send a message via Yahoo to k0nsa
That's a good question. When we were determining the options we wanted on our 3400RL the dealer said we could get the Generator Prep option and then we could have the dealer install the generator later. However the dealer told us that they only install the gasoline powered generators and that if I wanted the propane powerered generator I'd have to order from the factory.

Well, we decided to order our 3400RL with the generator from the factory as we figured that propane would be cleaner to deal with as we wouldn't have to worry about the storage life of the gasoline, fumes from spilt fuel and such. Also, the dealers description of the gasoline generator install made is sound like there was a pretty small gas tank installed however that wasn't specifically mentioned. I'll have to call and ask that question.

It sounds like there will be a trade off either way so we'll just have to hope that we end up with the best option, whatever that may be.
k0nsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:07 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:The other thing about this is I've been told that you can't tow in CA with three different fuels, i.e. gas, LP, diesel. I don't know that for a fact but that's what I've been told. Seems to me that LP is still the best way to go.

mac
I don't know the legal status of towing with three different fuels in CA but I can tell you that it is done all the time. Your comment about this is the first I've ever heard. A fellow at the Spring National Rally at Buellton, CA has just such a setup. They installed a 36 gallon gas tank for his Onan. And he pulls with a 3500 diesel TV. And of course he has the standard 2 propane tanks.

As far as I know this is not something to worry about.

We also tow with three different fuels on board. But my gas just sits in my portable Honda 2000eui and the gas tank sits in the bed of the truck. Diesel TV and trailer has the two propane tanks. No questions ever about the setup. There are thousands of us who have such a setup.

Good luck.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:43 AM   #7
gunner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6301
I'll bet if you tell them to cancel the order if they can't put a propane one in, they'll come up with one for you.
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:15 AM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
My unit has a gas generator. I am very concerned because the gas tank is in the same compartment as the generator. It is nothing more than a plastic 6 gallon boat motor tank. I plan to either convert it to LP or find a place under the unit near the back to mount a bigger and better tank. The toy haulers use gas but it is connected to the aux fuel tank in the back of the unit. The fumes from LP are also less toxic.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dennis, I had no idea that big 7K was a gas burner! Was that Dealer installed?

Brad
Old 04-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Brad it came from the factory that way. The gas tank says Onan on it. So if they are switching to gas generators I bet they all will come that way. I tried to purchase a tank like they put on the Toy Haulers but they won't sell me one something about DOT regulations.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Seems strange the toy haulers can haul massive amounts of fuel, but who knows what the regulations are.

Well, the bright side is you're not tapping into your LP for other appliances.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:36 AM   #12
dmr1021
Established Member

M.O.C. #5682
We have the LP ONAN and love it...as for propane usage, I bought extra 30# tanks and carry them in the bed of the TV. I switch out as needed.
dmr1021 is offline   Reply With Quote