Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
Sticky Waste Valve, Bent Handle 2007 RL3400

I have a 2007, Montana RL3400. The black tank valve handle is bent and the gate valve seems to be somewhat choppy in operation. Is this repair doable at home? If so any suggestions on how to do it are appreciated. If not, or if anyone has paid to have it done, please advise the cost. Also appreciate best place on line to order the parts. The valve does appear to remain closed once the handle appears to be full in so it may just be the handle.

I appreciate any and all replies.

Neverhome

Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You can get original equipment OEM parts from Trekwood.com. I did pay to have the valve replaced once and I think it was several hundred dollars. The reason I don't remember is that after he got the new valve on it was leaking and when he tried to loosen it and get it to seal it popped off and he got black tank water all down the front of him. He had rinsed it good, but still. At that point, for me, whatever it cost was ok. Then while we waited we looked at new rigs and bought the one we have now, so I went away thinking it cost me $25,000 plus trade to get it replaced
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I gotta disagree with DQDick on this one. If you need replacement valve use Valterra brand. Much better than OEM which I believe is Bristol. There are much better places to purchase than Trekwood too. PPL Motorhomes.com, tweets.com, or Amazon come to mind just to mention a few. Google is your friend! Trekwood tends to be PRICEY.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
dke1955
Established Member

M.O.C. #20643
I don't know if this will help your situation but when I had my pusher I would routinely add calgon bathoil beads to the black tank after flushing and let it sit, (this was recommended to me by a few long timers who had been there/done that with a sticky handle & gate as you describe)....the treatment took a time or two but it eventually lubed the gate enough that forcing was not an issue any longer...I would also lube handle shaft with silicon spray...again your mileage may vary but this did help me solve the situation.
dke1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Only way to fix a sticking valve is to disassemble and repair or replace it. It will be messy as you can never remove all the liquids beforehand, so you need to position yourself so nothing lands on you as you remove the valve. I think the best practice is to have on hand a new, high quality valve, before taking out the old rather than trying to repair the existing.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Fix it yourself at home. It will give you confidence when you have similar issues when on the road. There are a couple bolt patterns on popular valves so make sure you get usable valves. When draining tanks, raise or lower the front to ensure that fluids drain out completely. Then when ready to open the plumbing, raise or lower the front, opposite of draining, to keep residual fluids away from the drain.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Our handle actually broke off when I opened the black tank valve on our last trip. I was able to get in to a Camping world on the next leg of the trip. $500 and an afternoon later I was good to go.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
Sticky Waste Valve bent Handle

Thanks to all for your replies. I think I will try the Calgon Bath Oil Beads first. I like the idea of raising and lowering the camper too. No sense in a black water bath if that works. If the Calgon doesn't work, does anyone have any ideas where I can rent a diving suit with a shell helmet?

Neverhome
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Not sure, but I think Captain Nemo has his in use.