Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #21
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierp View Post
Replacing it, however, didn't do peep, which was a bummer. I haven't seen the fans kick on at all in weeks and I've really only ever seen them on once. I haven't actually checked the temperature on the fins, but this seems to be a big part of my problem.

I've ordered an infrared thermometer so I can confirm the fin temps, but in the meantime I'm open for what else to check to make these silly things kick on. I'm thinking of bypassing the thermal switch entirely just to see if the fans kick on, but I don't have a piece handy to do it yet, and, you know, it's Labor Day weekend.
Ok, so still no fan activity. I haven't bypassed the external fan switch yet. Do they make a male to male 'jumper' so I can plug the two ends in directly without removing the crimped ends that are on there now? I know on another thread a person is using a manual timer to do this, but I'm not quite ready for that yet. What I didn't do when I was up there today was to manually touch the two ends to see if the fans kicked on. I did check the hot end and was getting about 12.7v though.

I also got my fancy new infrared thermometer. It paints an interesting picture, but I'm not sure what to make of it. The fin with the fan switch is the coolest place in the unit. Is it too cool to kick the fans on? That seems odd.

Temps (Fahrenheit):
A: 162
B: 215
C: 292
D: 127 - Fin with fan switch
E: 142

I would add that I'm in the Seattle area and parked in a shade. The outside temps have been moderate this week. That's helping keep my refer temps down. It definitely struggled more in high heat. I got the thermometer linked above so I can see the temps inside without opening the door. They're better, but not quite right. I know the airflow needs to be working here.

Thoughts? I do have a service appointment for this in two weeks, but dang-it, I want to solve it myself before then.

-Jeremy