Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2003, 11:17 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
LP Remote Changeover Indicator Installed

In another thread I said I'd ordered the following from Campers Choice:

LP Remote Changeover Indicator

This indicator is mounted inside the Montana and serves the same purpose as the red flag on the regulator, it tells me when the primary tank is empty and propane is being drawn from the secondary tank. When this happens the light flashes about every three seconds. When I go outside and flip the lever to point to the other tank, the light stops flashing and the red flag on the regulator (still visible) changes back to green, same as always. The "savings" is I don't have to remember to go outside to check status of the propane.

Originally I planned to mount this indicator next to the TV Boost and the satellite prep connectors on the front wall next to the sliding mirror closet doors. Vicki asked I put this ugly thing somewhere where it isn't so obvious to someone touring our home. So, with her agreement, I mounted it on the wall at the opposite end of the dresser, the wall between dresser and vanity in the 3295. I can still easily see the indicator in the mirror from downstairs.

The indicator comes with a 20 foot cord, which is sheathing containing two wires. It is way more than enough. It also comes with two phillips head screws for mounting the indicator and two wire nuts to connect the long cord to the sensor wires. It requires two "AA" batteries, not included. I was impressed with the build quality of the unit. The battery holders have side clips to keep the batteries in place even with the jostling of over the road.

The hardest part of installation was getting the cord from indicator to propane locker. We secured the cord from the indicator mounting location down along the trim of that wall so it is not real obvious. Then I pressed the cord around and partially under the end of that short wall by feeling around in the carpet and working it partially under the wall. I drilled a small (I used a 7/32 bit) hole through the vanity sidewall right at carpet level, ran the cord up the other side, inside the vanity, over to the sewer pipe and down the pipe into the basement. I had to drill a small hole in the white collar where the sewer pipe goes through to the basement. There's enough clearance you're just drilling through the plastic. In the basement, next to the sewer hose is a sheath of wires going into the propane locker. I worked the cord into that sheating on the basement side and brought it out on the propane locker side. Then worked and strapped the wire up along that sheathing and across the top of the propane locker.

At that point you connect the wires from the cord to the wires from the sensor. The sensor is essentially a mechanical plunger that replaces that black plastic cap that's on the regulator changeover indicator, the red/green indicator. The new sensor has tabs that snap down over the regulator to hold it in place. Be sure to push this down hard or the light will flash constantly. This sensor has a plunger that goes through a little hole in the top of the regulator's plastic indicator. It's usually covered by the black cap. When the indicator drops so the red shows, the plunger also drops, triggering the indicator inside the unit.

I ran some tests per the instructions and it works great.

When I first opened the box I thought I had made a mistake. This remote indicator says it is for the model 250 regulator. That one is just like ours but has a slide rather than the lever. Ours is a 290. But it worked great anyhow.

Also, I originally planned to bring the wires straight up through the floor of the bedroom but underneath the dresser drawers. Tried drilling from the top but couldn't see the bit coming through in the propane locker or any of the basement lockers. Tried drilling up from inside the propane locker, same thing. Then I realized the dresser sits on some kind of pedestal and I don't have a bit long enough to reach so gave this approach up. I'm not sure what's in that pedestal area.

Sorry so long. Someone asked I describe the installation and wanted to pass along my mistakes as well.

--- edited -- thinking about it, I think plunger down may be "green" and plunger up may be "red". Darn CRS. Either way, it works great.

Steve and Vicki Reigle
'03 3295RK
'03 F350 SC SB SRW 6.0L PSD AT 4x4
fulltiming since March '03
Our RV Travels

Edited by - sreigle on 12/09/2003 6:28:00 PM

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote