Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2021, 05:08 PM   #1
MONTANA_3790
Established Member

M.O.C. #27064
Laundry Service

Does anyone use a laundry service? I'd like to know how much it would approximately cost per person. I'm talking about dropping off and picking up.

I'm thinking about laundry service vs Stackable installed.

MONTANA_3790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Are you permanently parked or transient? If you are permanently parked, what area are you in? Some public laundry mats have a drop-off service and usually charge by the pound. Each laundry mat would have it's own price though.

Whatever area you are in, you might check baby diaper services. But, if you are transient, traveling, then every location you go to will be different.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:08 PM   #3
MONTANA_3790
Established Member

M.O.C. #27064
Thanks for the reply. I'm just curious what others have paid and their feelings on laundry service vs buying a W/D, while considering cost, installation, time, etc...
MONTANA_3790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:26 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We've been full time since 2012, and right from the beginning, we decided that doing our laundry as needed, whether at a laundromat or a facilities at a park was a much better option than having a washer/dryer installed to take up storage space in the rig. Where we are right now, it's a bit over $3 per load, wash and dry, but other places it can be more. We've never even thought about having someone else doing our laundry, and most of the time, we can go two weeks between having to do it, and it only takes a couple hours at the most. I suppose if one needed clothes starched and ironed, then maybe a laundry service might be needed, but we are RVers, and I can't remember the last time our iron was heated up.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
When we were full timing in our Class C we encountered lots of staffed laundromats that would do your clothes for you for a fee.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, thank-you for clarifying.

For what it's worth, we just dished out about $2300 for a Splendide washing machine and dryer installed in our Montana. We got it back from the dealer / service shop just yesterday. We've run 2 loads through it (at home)... driveway camp.

I know that is a lot of money, but after using laundry mats, all over everywhere East of Kansas City, we finally said, "enough is enough". We bit the bullet and decided to "go for it!"

We are not full timers, but we use our camper full time, both at home and on the road. We spent 5 weeks in Alabama over the January 2021 and the first week of February at a private campground. After running to the laundry mat once a week, having our dogs make accidents on blankets, and having to wash and dry muddy, wet dogs, we decided it was finally time for a washer and dryer IN the camper. So we did it.

It's just been 24 hours, but already we've started adjusting the camper. We realize we don't have to drag laundry back back and forth (even from the house at home), and we can keep a dedicated set of clothes, towels, and hand-towels, and dish-towels in the camper. Already, life is easier, and it's just been 24 hours! Instead of packing so many towels now (to last 2 people and 2 dogs a week), and instead of carrying 20 or 30 dish towels, we pulled out all this extra STUFF and put it back in the house. We eliminated a LOT of stuff, all had laundry dependency, and actually opened up more space. I thought getting the washer and dryer would take space away. Instead, not having to have so much in-stock, reduced a lot of stuff. Next, we'll focus on our cloths. Knowing we can wash stuff at any time, we don't need 14 or 15 different sets of cloths, 14 pair of underware, socks and T-shirts, and 30 bra's. So, we'll skim out the clothes next. All because we can now wash more often and do not have to depend on the once-a-week ritual of finding a half-way decent laundry mat, in a somewhat half-way decent neighborhood in town.

Was it worth the price! Already, just 24 hours later... the answer is a resounding .... "YES!".....

We are planning on hitting the road again starting in April and no idea when we'll be returning back to the house. Our first destination is Charlotte, NC for 2 weeks. After that, we're moving on, thinking of Southern Missouri next. We decided it's time to visit the relatives that are left and still living! Who knows when we'll get back.

Is the washing machine worth it? Oh yea!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:41 PM   #7
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Service comes in all different cost and quality service. We use the combination and it works great
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:30 AM   #8
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We have always had W/D units in our RVs. When we recently changed back over to our new fiver we did some searching and found a new set of Splendid at a Alabama CW for around $1,600. I installed myself.

We would have never considered being without a W/D in our sticknbrick so when we first went full time we decided that was one thing we would always have to have. Over the years I have watched a lot of folks pushing, carrying, and dragging laundry through campgrounds to the laundry building. It just isn't something I would want to do on a regular basis.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #9
Vicky
Established Member

M.O.C. #25459
We are full timers. We have someone pick up our laundry and wash,dry and deliver every 2 weeks. They do a beautiful job. Costs about $45 every 2 weeks.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:02 PM   #10
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Absolutely! A washer and dryer is a must for us. We do laundry when we want/need to. Not necessarily on any schedule. Would rather be spending time other ways than at a laundromat.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:01 PM   #11
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
Hated our trips to the laundry mat so wife wanted one of these and does the wash out underneath the awning. It has become our daily morning camping chore as we wash yesterday's clothes. We use a drying rack that hangs off the back ladder. Both go in the closet when not in use. Happy wife happy life.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Safe...%2C439&sr=8-13
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #12
Alice Austiff
Established Member

M.O.C. #21019
We love our washer dryer for all the reasons mentioned!!
Alice Austiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #13
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTANA_3790 View Post
Does anyone use a laundry service? I'd like to know how much it would approximately cost per person. I'm talking about dropping off and picking up.

I'm thinking about laundry service vs Stackable installed.
My wife loves her Splendide w/d. No need to hang out in a dreary laundromat plus getting there and unreliable machines.
I haven't been in a laundromat in about 60 years and intend on keeping it that way.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:12 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We use the space allotted for the washer/dryer for storage and either use the campground laundry or go to a laundromat near and do all the laundry at one time. The cost in campgrounds we've found to be between $4-5 a load which includes the wash and dry. When we go to a laundromat it normally runs about $3 to wash and dry a load but you can get all of your wash done at one time where in most campgrounds you can only use two washers and two dryers to do your laundry. If you go with a Splendid you will have to do SMALL loads at a time and it will take you all day to do what you can do at a laundromat in an hour to an hour and a half. Compare the price of the Splendid and the value of your time when going with it.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:49 PM   #15
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
We use the space allotted for the washer/dryer for storage and either use the campground laundry or go to a laundromat near and do all the laundry at one time. The cost in campgrounds we've found to be between $4-5 a load which includes the wash and dry. When we go to a laundromat it normally runs about $3 to wash and dry a load but you can get all of your wash done at one time where in most campgrounds you can only use two washers and two dryers to do your laundry. If you go with a Splendid you will have to do SMALL loads at a time and it will take you all day to do what you can do at a laundromat in an hour to an hour and a half. Compare the price of the Splendid and the value of your time when going with it.
I should have mentioned, we are an older couple. My wife normally does 3 loads a week, sometimes 4, sometimes 2. We like the fact we do not have to leave our RV and last I checked laundromats are one of those soul sucking places I avoid. When we get travelling again, we will boondock 5 days out of 7. In the US SW there is enough sun to power via solar the washer and of course solar drying. If the sun does not co-operate a pair of Honda EU2000's are way more power than we need.
Yes, we miss the lost space, but it was never even a close call, laundromat's are simply too awful a place to spend a single minute of my life in.
Yes, a 60G bag of extra water in the back of the truck might also be needed and the grey water can go on the ground (allowed in most places)
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote