Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #21
Cafemom6

M.O.C. #19923
3910fb

Hey Wade, It is putting a scratch across the floor. On the first screw that came loose the shop was able to take markers and fix the floor where you could not see the scratch. Now that we have seen it we put a thick plastic sheet there so it does not do anymore damage. I will be taking it back to where i purchased the camper to see what or if they will do anything about it. So far my dealer has been great and fixed everything that I have shown them. I purchased the 5ver from RV Outlet USA In Ringgold VA. They are great and even if they don't fix this it will not change my opinion of them.

Cafemom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:42 PM   #22
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
@Kiehls: What did you use for those temporary wear pads?

One note: Since we are very aware that the slides simply drag across the vinyl floor covering, I am obsessive about making sure the floor is clean before retracting the slides. I averted disaster once when I found a screw that had dropped out of the ceiling fan!
Old 08-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #23
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Same Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post

One note: Since we are very aware that the slides simply drag across the vinyl floor covering, I am obsessive about making sure the floor is clean before retracting the slides. I averted disaster once when I found a screw that had dropped out of the ceiling fan!

I am the same way. I vacuum and mop the floors (vacuum and rake carpet), including up under the lip, prior to every single close. I also check around before I open them. One never knows what could have fallen during the hurricane of driving down the road.

Ann
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #24
Cafemom6

M.O.C. #19923
We went to Walmart to get them. My wife said they are soft cutting boards so when you cut things up in the kitchen you can bend them to pour whatever you are working with into a bowl. They probably measure 12x14. I think there were 4 in the pack. Different colors. We do like others in the post do. We vacuum and sweep, clean the floor good before moving the slides. The first time we had this problem the dealer told me that I probably had a rock under the slide. Not until I took it to them that they believe me that a screw was coming out from under the slide scratching the floor. Something I want to get off my chest about campers. It seems they are all junk. You cannot own a camper of any brand no matter what it cost without having to constantly working on it. I am very particular about my camper. Stays clean under a stick built shed to keep it out of the weather. Seems like my Montana is better than most but still more problems than I would expect out of something I paid that much money for. Now I feel better.
Cafemom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:11 PM   #25
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
We have the 3790RD and the same thing in same spot is happening on the dining room table slide side. It's just a moisture barrier from what I can see so I was thinking I'd just paint the exposed plywood floor. Pretty sure a screw backed out somewhere but I'm pretty sure the expense of finding it outweighs just putting a coat of paint on the exposed plywood. When travelling it isn't exposed as it is inside the unit. Only moisture that gets to it is from the ground when it is out... rain can't get to it.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #26
Larry L
Established Member

M.O.C. #20313
Mines in the shop now

Amazing how every time I have a problem with my hc the forum comes through with others having the same problem.I first noticed my kitchen slide hopping going in or out so Ichecked under the slide inside and out. All the other slides have white nylon rollers but not the kitchen slide.I ran a camera under everywhere I could and could find nothing but that small black plastic strip that had been mentioned . I lubed, cleaned, inspected, checked the cables but nothing seemed to help. Our last trip out worked as usual except just before we left I wanted to get in the fridge but while trying to open the slide it wouldn't move.when w got home ifinally got it open enough to empty the fridge and took it to the dealer. They came up with the theory that the motor gearbox is bad and it will be down for3 weeks and I'm quite sure when they try it again it won't be any better. I'm glad to see the pictures that you all displayed it might help me show them that it is probably that stupid Plastic strip rather than a motor. Whatever happens it looks like our summer camping may be over with. Thanks all and have a great day. Keep the info coming, I need all the help I can get
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #27
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
gear boxes are known to fail, gear driving slide out strips, will come in fine. my sister had hers fixed with my spare today. i carry a spare now.... chinese crap.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:01 PM   #28
Dougcarey
Established Member

M.O.C. #20015
Check your frame

[check your frame. We were having issues with kitchen slide -we had a cracked frame .
QUOTE=KIEHLS;1108981]UPDATE:

Things deteriorated quickly...

In my quest to discover and repair I ran the slide in a bit to raise it and peak in there to no avail. I'm at a campsite with limited tools and resources.

In and out...up and down...whatever is causing the abrasion damage finally pulled the seal out of its mooring.

It appears that the kitchen slide...the heaviest of them all, runs on a cheap plastic extrusion which is only stapled to the floor and poorly screwed into the side from the outside.

If there are wear pads or rollers in there I can't see them and now the slide is sitting right on the floor with no clearance.

I plan to borrow some screw jacks to lift the slide and insert some nylon runners between the slide and the floor to get the slide in. Then off to the dealer![/QUOTE]
Dougcarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #29
Jim55
Established Member

M.O.C. #19907
Im my opinion, the kitchen slides (from Keystone) were never designed to hold a residential refrigerator and all the weight you can put in it. The same goes for the large pantries and cupboards in those slides. Canned goods and cases of water can really add to the weight.
Jim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #30
KIEHLS
Established Member

M.O.C. #19410
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Is it doing any damage to the interior kitchen floor
Wade-

The slide had started to abrade the kitchen floor where the damage on the underbelly was.

After removing the poorly secured, cheap, plastic 'wear strip' and attempting to bring in the slide, it started to gouge the kitchen floor under the fridge (at the opposite end of initial damage) and we stopped retracting immediately and decided to add the temporary UHMW strips to get the slide in and into the dealer.
KIEHLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #31
KIEHLS
Established Member

M.O.C. #19410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post

Bad Moon-

I used 1/4" UHMW scrap from a local plastics company. It was 14" wide scrap so I just cut it to length. I figured the wider the better.

On my 3791RD there is no way to clean under the slide and no seals or brushes to prevent debris from getting under there from the inside. Our only option is to spray it out with compressed air. But we do our best with sweeping/vacuuming/mopping before bringing any/all slides in. I think in theory the kitchen slide bottom should never touch the kitchen floor but one pebble or sand or loose screw will ruin that theory.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #32
KIEHLS
Established Member

M.O.C. #19410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
By wear bar I mean the part of the slide that rubs on the kitchen floor on the slides way in, and out. It slides in and out with the slide, and is part of the slide, not the trailer framework. It looks like from your pics the damage is mostly on one side of the slide. I would start by raising that side of the slide first.

The bottom of the slide shouldn't be rubbing on the trailer frame, meaning that the slide bottom isn't load bearing. It is the adjusters and the wear bar that bear the load.

Describing this is difficult but if you work it long enough you will soon master it. Besides it will keep the knuckle draggers at the dealer from having to work on your rig. I did similar work on my 3160. When adjusting, make small adjustments at a time, quarter inch, and measure for squareness of the slide in the trailer. Good job with the plastic on the kitchen floor. You could get by with the two outer pieces if you like.
Montana Man-

There are no slide adjusters or wear bar on this slide. The moisture barrier of the underbelly rides on that cheap plastic 'wear strip' up until the point where it rips the 'wear strip' out from under the RV. Keystone has since upgraded that 'wear strip' to two humps and countersunk screws rather than one hump and staples. I intend to spray dry lube inside and outside of that contact surface before each retraction and extension.

All other slides have UHMW rollers. The dining slide opposite the kitchen slide has two UHMW wear pads, full length, with countersunk screws holding them down.

Thanks for your input and advice.