Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2004, 12:43 PM   #1
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Ladies how do you do it?

I know I can't be the only short, heavy lady with bad knees that loves traveling in their Montana; but ladies how do you get in these four wheel drive trucks? We have a two wheel dually with running boards on now and that can be a job getting into sometimes. I figure if we get a four wheel drive I'll need running boards and a step ladder. Anyone got a special technique on how to do this besides getting my legs stretched?

tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:49 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This is one of those situations where I think if I say anything, it will be wrong. What about a single step or stool with a rope tied to it to retrieve it once seated. There was a song once about short people, but we won't go there.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:24 PM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
tbhd, No you are not the only one we don't have a dually but do have 4 wheel drive and nerf bars and I still have to almost crawl in our truck. Before we got the nerf bars it was a site to see me try and get my short legs into the truck.LOL I am only 5"1
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 03:52 PM   #4
Bob and Sheri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #347
I'm only 4'11" but so far have no difficulty getting in the truck. We don't have 4wd but it is a 350 dually. There's a small area with some rubber treading to step up to that is a big help. That is except when we first bought it (used) and my husband thought he could shine those things up with some tire wet. Almost broke my neck! I'll never let him live it down. Took a good while to get all that slick stuff off. I'd rather have dull tread any day! Raymond and Judy, our "neighbors" at the rally had some really cool steps on their truck that automatically slid out when you opened the door and retracted when you shut it. That may be a helpful option for us short folks if necessary. Sheri
Bob and Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:06 PM   #5
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Its not just being short, there is another problem. When your truck is your only vehicle there is the problem of how to get in if you are wearing a skirt. It can definitely be interesting.
When we were looking at trucks our salesperson (a woman) was wearing a long skirt and the demo truck we were to drive had to be brought to the front by one of the salesMEN as the truck had no running boards and she could not get in. The same problem came up when we took it to our sons house, no problem with him as he is 6ft 5in but his wife is 5ft and we had to lift her in.
The other reason we had running boards put on was because I have had knee replacement and getting in can at times be a little difficult.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:10 PM   #6
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I would suggest going to the gym to build up your shoulder muscles. I have been going to the gym for the past two months and the extra exercise really helps me climb up into my big Ford 350 truck. Well it works for me. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:22 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Northstar,
If you are short and have bad knees, hip, legs or whatever, shoulder muscles do not help.

I, too, am short but mostly my short is in my legs. I also have very little muscle and nerves in my right leg due to an accident. Running boards were the first things that happened. We have an SUV that I drive and that also had to have the running boards. I stand on the running boards then holding on to the upper handle, I pull up so my seat is on the vehicle seat and then swing my legs in (or in my case I sometimes have to pick up my leg and bring it in). So far this works. When we take my mother (87), we use a little stool like you have for the kids to reach the sink to wash their hands.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tbhd, our Fords have had O/S handles that assist with ingress and egress. Doesn't yours have those? Between the running boards and the o/s handles it's not been a problem for us although Vicki has commented it's a long ways up. Maybe she'll read this and agree or disagree with my comments. Just wanted to ask about the handles.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:10 AM   #9
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
You can get electric steps like those found on motorhomes. The tie into the door switch so when it opens the step extends. I have seen them on many Suburbans but I am sure they can be installed on a p/u. The running board will probably need to be cut for the step but it can be done.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 07:10 AM   #10
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Pat has had no trouble with our truck as we have running boards and handles everywhere we could have handles. Even at 5'1" and with arthritis she can still manage it. Her sister is even shorter-4'10"- and has MS. When she travels with us we have an $8.99 solution--a small square about 12" high plastic stool made by Rubbermaid and designed for kitchen use. It is very stable as well as light. Once sis is in, we just toss the stool in the back. Have seen it in bathroom and storage sections at WalMart and Target. The problem of legs being too short IN the truck is addressed by taking two large phone directories and duct taping them together to make a 4" high spot for Pat to rest her feet. Makes all the difference in the world as to how tired her back and legs get after a day of travel. CW has an item that does the same thing for abot $20 so we liked the price of our solution!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 12:41 PM   #11
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
My wife is 4'11 We have the standard running boards on our F 350. With the grab ahndle in the cab she doesn't have all that much trouble. Classy Chassis in Valparaso has the type of extra step that comes out when opening the door.
We also bought a wooden stool from camping world that slopes for her to rest her feet on. Save a lot of sore legs.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:57 PM   #12
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Thanks everyone for your information. I didn't know they make steps that come out automatically like on motorhomes. I'm definitely going to check that out. We have the diamond plate running boards but no assist handles on our present 1995 tow vehicle and that is a two wheel drive. I just really lean on the door when I get in. I'm waiting to have the door fall off one of these times. It only has 61,000 miles on it and for a diesel I guess that's not a lot. Love having the extra large tanks and some of the other equipment we have installed; but Dennis is starting to look at the new ones and says his next one will be a 4 wheel drive. He's taken a couple of them for test drives but I can't get in them to go along . It's probably a good thing because he comes back drooling saying they are so nice and most of all QUIET. I guess I'm pretty lucky though because I'm 5'1" and taller than some of you.

I've had one complete knee joint replacement done and need to have the other one done, nerve damage in both lower legs and two steroid shots in my back. Enough starting to sound like a medical forum .

Really glad to see I'm not the only short person having this problem. If nothing else I'm going to get a stool like some of you have. I guess I shouldn't worry yet, got to decide if we're buying a truck. The stool I don't mind paying for--it's paying for the truck that stinks!!!

tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote