Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
Slumbard

M.O.C. #28957
Perplexed

Cross-posting!

New to forum but not RVing!!
Hello! I’ve joined this forum hoping to find some help! I apologize if this is the wrong forum! We’re full-time RVers in a 2010 Montana 5er. We love this life but are perplexed by a problem.
The bedroom, which is upstairs has a floor issue. You can feel a difference of about 1/2 an inch under the carpet. It runs almost the entire width of the bedroom (side/to-side) where the upper deck connects to the lower deck. It seemed to grow by leaps and bounds after our return from TX. The roads were terrible - we both came back feeling like we’d been run over! To add to our dilemma, we are leaving in a couple of weeks for MI but not sure this is safe! Anyone have any ideas?

Slumbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:00 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I would start by pulling up the carpet and determining if it is simply the plywood floor coming up or swelling, or if there is a frame issue. If the plywood is raising up, you can just secure it down and draw it tightly to the level it with screws. If it is swelling due to water damage, you'll need to find the leak.
If it's the frame cracked and causing the floor to raise, that's a whole different problem and I would be VERY worried.
If your floor plan is similar to ours, I can see the under side of the bedroom floor in the basement pass through storage area. Check to see if the plywood is separated from the frame in that area from underneath first.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The factory used power driven short nails to connect the floor material to the square metal tubes of the upper deck in the rigs. I had several that missed the tubes during assembly, so that is probably the cause. Use a good metal screw to re-attach if this is the problem. I doubt that you have a safety issue with the frame. You should be able to see the frame condition from within the passthrough area and in the front compartment.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:56 AM   #4
Slumbard

M.O.C. #28957
Thank you - those are two thoughts we had as well.
Slumbard is offline   Reply With Quote