Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2021, 06:04 PM   #1
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
Road Conditions

I will be going to Brookings, Oregon this month. I need some input on the best road from Bakersfield, CA. SR 99 or I5. Neither one has any bragging rights, but I would like to have the least amount potholes and poor road conditions.

Thank you for your input.

BUBBA-NONNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:18 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Neither I-5 or Hwy-99 are in perfect shape from Bakersfield to Sacramento. I have been using Hwy-99 as much of it has be re-paved more recently than I-5. Once you get to Sacramento I-5 is your only choice is you want freeway conditions as Hwy-99 gets narrower and slower as you approach Chico where it eventually merges with I-5. I-5 north from Sacramento is in pretty good shape.

I-5 will not get you to Brookings as you probably know. You will have to cut over to the coast at some point. I prefer Hwy-20 at Williams over to Hwy-101 and north to Brookings as a scenic route.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:50 AM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
IMO, I5 is the least of those two evils. 99 seems crowded anymore and road construction south of Fresno actually has left driving conditions dangerous especially towing. I5 going into Sacramento is hammered so slow down and plan the trip around their rush hours.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:53 PM   #4
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21053
Big backups on 101 at Last Chance Grade

Drove up 101 three weeks ago. Landslide in February has 101 down to one lane on the Last Chance Grade between Klamath and Crescent City. They have two hour delays on week days (full shutdown) from 9 to 11, 12 to2, and 3 to 5. They say 30 minute delays at all other times. They are alternating traffic through the slide. Rough pavement at the site but my Monty made it through without issue other than a hour delay. I think repairs are to continue all summer.
Jacksonville, FL
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote