Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2019, 06:44 AM   #1
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
National parks Utah

We are going to visit the national parks in Utah and would like some advice on where to camp. We need hookups. I would travel a hour to visit a couple parks instead of moving the Montana for each park. I want to see all 5 parks. I hear there is a tunnel on the way to one of them that if I can do I need to avoid.

How long do you need to stay at each park to enjoy it. I may only do this trip one time and want to make the most of it.

We are starting from California going through Las Vegas. I did a search and so many threads LOL
Thank You in advance
Art AKA Slow Hand

Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:28 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Art,

I can not answer for all the parks but can help you out with Zion and Bryce Canyon.

Zion has the tunnel in it which you will need to avoid. You can visit both of these parks by staying between them - they are about 1 hour and 30 minutes apart. If you are going in the summer I would recommend staying near Bryce as it is at a much higher elevation. We stayed at Ruby's just outside of Bryce with full hookups - it was a nice RV park.

How long you want to stay depends on what you want to do. If it is primarily to sightsee by road with a little bit of walking I would plan a day for each park. If you make it a long day you could see both in a day but I would not recommend it. If you want to get in and hike you will need to set aside more time.

To see Arches and Canyon Lands I would reposition your rig as they are about 5 hours away. We have not visited those parks yet.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We have been to Arches, Bryce and Zion, as well as a few state parks in the area. When we went to Arches & Dead Horse, we stayed at Moab, in the KOA, which was ok. Moab has a number of RV parks. When we went to Bryce, we stayed at a KOA nearby, but it was awfully tight. When we went to Zion, we stayed at the KOA in Cedar City. It was probably one of the nicest RV parks we have been in.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:05 PM   #4
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
The tunnel at Zion is not a problem with my 13'4" montana just costs a little more but is kind of fun looking out of the windows in the tunnel walls . I just picked cgs from Good Sams book. Stayed right in town at Zion don't remember the name but OK and close to park. Stayed at Rubys @ Bryce Canyon,OK
and convenient. Don't remember name at Torrey. Portal CG in Moab very nice a little crowded.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:24 PM   #5
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
The tunnel at Zion is not a problem with my 13'4" Monty just costs a little more but is kind of fun seeing out the windows in the tunnel walls. Rubys cgOK @ Bryces, Portal cg @ Moab very nice. Don't remember the name of the cg in Zion but right in town and convenient and can't recall the cg in Torrey. One full day in Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef as we can't hike much anymore but we do a lot of truck sightseeing and contemplating
biological, historical and geological features. 4 days at Moab for Canyonlands & Arches
Old 02-24-2019, 10:27 PM   #6
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
Utah

OOPS, double post, didn't think the first went through.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:45 PM   #7
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Vehicles over 13'1" are not permitted through the tunnel in Zion NP. If you are over 11'4" you have to purchase a special permit and can only go through the tunnel at certain times when they shut down traffic so you can have the middle.

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvis...mel-tunnel.htm

I would keep the Montana outside the park. We were there a year or so ago, traffic was a nightmare; glad we were not towing.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:30 AM   #8
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
The tunnel is neat and the landscape is so different at the other end. We went through without the trailer.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:58 AM   #9
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
We are headed to Utah the end of May. Reservations at Bauer’s Canyon Ranch to see Bryce and Zion NP. Wonderland RV park near Capitol Reef NP. Archview RV resort near Canyonland and Arches NP. First trip out there and plan to be at each stop 3-4 nights.
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:58 AM   #10
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Thanks everyone.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:05 AM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
We stayed at a KOA in Cedar City. It's probably 30 minutes to each NP from there. Nice with staying ther is the shopping plus enough good (and poor!) restaurants if you need a break. It's close enough that we were able to park in the front row inside Zion, leaving the CG after 7:00AM for their 8:00AM opening.

That tunnel - probably have a photo somewhere but since our HC is at 13'5", over the front a/c wasn't interested.

If you go to Moab (recommended) there are a half dozen there. We stayed at Moab Valley Resort - loud with lots of Jake Brakes as it's at the base of a long hill as well as tight sites though most like the place
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #12
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Slowhand, As of last week the Zion Park Scenic Byway ( State Road 9) is closed due to rock slides and areas of the road being undermined due to flooding. Moab also has some roads closed also due to flooding ( Rt. 128). I had also heard that there was flooding and roads closed in Bryce National park. You might try calling the park directly as your travel plans get closer. Southern Utah has been getting above normal snow and rain this winter.
I think more than one camp stop will be required as some of the parks are quite a ways apart. PM me if I can assist you with info on where to stay.
I found out that I would need a lot more time to stay to see it all, or multiple trips to a particular location.

Regards, Keith
09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #13
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
Check out Dead Horse State Park for sites. Recently updated and convenient to Canyons and Arches. I enjoyed the state park's views more than Canyons NP.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:22 AM   #14
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Part of the state road 9 has reopened as some of the school bus size boulders have been removed. Other parts of the road are still closed due to areas of the road have been undermined by flooding.

Zion River Resort is a REALLY NICE camp ground. Clean , nice sites for all size trailers, 5 ers, motor coaches, ,Store, pool, hot tub. Close to Zion.
09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #15
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Just reserve will in advance. We aren't coming through there until September and I already found some places already booked up!

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #16
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
We visited nearly all of them. Our goal was to not travel more than 90 miles one way. I would avoid the tunnel at Zion. Took two hours to get in. Enter at town of Springdale.

We stayed at Green River (North of Moab) for Arches and Canyonlands. Moab campground might be better if available especially if you want to see Canyonland overlook to the South.

We stayed in Kanab for Bryce and Zion, North Rim Grand Canyon, plus Page, AZ, to see Horseshoe Bend and the Glen Canyon Dam (neat tour). Check out Pipe Springs National Monument and Best Friends Animal Sanctuary (neat tour).

We stayed in Monument Valley for the Valley, Goose Neck State Park, Natural Bridge NP, Valley of the Gods.

As others said, if you limit walks to short hikes, you can see in a day. If you hike to Delicate Arch, you might need a second day.

We stayed in Green River 5 days, Kanab 10 days Monument Valley 7 days.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #17
Professor Steve
Established Member

M.O.C. #22062
This trip needs advance planning as some parks are jammed. Zion was nuts in early June. There is a highly rated RV park right outside Zion. Also, we got extreme heat in early June the year we went, including most of the region - Monument Valley and west (we're from Redding and we don't complain about heat, just saying!). I would go off season next time. Lot's of beautiful country - plan the route - some interesting highways you will want to avoid- I will avoid 89A north out of Flagstaff.
Professor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #18
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Steve View Post
This trip needs advance planning as some parks are jammed. Zion was nuts in early June. There is a highly rated RV park right outside Zion. Also, we got extreme heat in early June the year we went, including most of the region - Monument Valley and west (we're from Redding and we don't complain about heat, just saying!). I would go off season next time. Lot's of beautiful country - plan the route - some interesting highways you will want to avoid- I will avoid 89A north out of Flagstaff.
What's the problem with 89A north of Flagstaff? Is it just a traffic jam you're talking about or something to do with the road itself? When we leave Monument Valley the end of September, that shows up as our route back to the Phoenix area.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
Old 03-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #19
Professor Steve
Established Member

M.O.C. #22062
We remember some sharp curves and areas we wondered if we belonged there. I would definitely research both routes (89 & 89A) before taking that route.
Professor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #20
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Steve View Post
We remember some sharp curves and areas we wondered if we belonged there. I would definitely research both routes (89 & 89A) before taking that route.
This is the route shown. Would we be better off taking 191 down to Flagstaff or is it just as bad?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	route.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	3322  

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL