Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2021, 04:29 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
What To Do When Your Coach Dies

A little dramatic, I know, but it was one of those lessons that will pay dividends in the future. I woke up this morning to zero power - no 120v, no 12v. Everything dead. Fortunately, I was able to get Matt Wolkins on the line and through a series of calls he got me on my way. The reason everything was dead is my batteries had gone below 11.5v. So, to protect the battery, the Super Solar system shut down everything. The reason my batteries got so low is that the at 108v, the transfer switch disengages. We were on a 15 amp circuit and the charger was running so high it went below 108v repeatedly. What sounded like someone hitting the side of the camper was the transfer switch cycling on/off. We were camped three nights here without good sun and just plain got the batteries too low. There is a setting on the Victron that should have been off - Battery Starts Synchronized, that wasn’t. So, here is the reset procedure that Matt had me do.
1. Turn Off Battery
2. Disconnect from Shore Power
3. Turn Off the Main on the Inverter (two screws on the side panel)
4. With jumper cables or starter box, jump from positive to positive, negative to negative on the top red (+) and bottom black (-). Once your system resets, go to the next step.
5. Turn the Inverter Main Back On
6. Plug in Shore Power
7. Disconnect Jumper Cables
8. Replace Panel and (2) screws.

Leave Battery Off Until it is charged to 30%. Now, you are good to go. The system worked as it was supposed to. Since my VictronConnect reset to 100% every time it restarted, I falsely thought I had a full charge. I was fortunate this happened where I had cell service. I also learned my batteries are 270ahx2 for 540ah of battery power. Hope I save someone else an early morning panick.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 04:49 PM   #2
nellie1289
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28145
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
A little dramatic, I know, but it was one of those lessons that will pay dividends in the future. I woke up this morning to zero power - no 120v, no 12v. Everything dead. Fortunately, I was able to get Matt Wolkins on the line and through a series of calls he got me on my way. The reason everything was dead is my batteries had gone below 11.5v. So, to protect the battery, the Super Solar system shut down everything. The reason my batteries got so low is that the at 108v, the transfer switch disengages. We were on a 15 amp circuit and the charger was running so high it went below 108v repeatedly. What sounded like someone hitting the side of the camper was the transfer switch cycling on/off. We were camped three nights here without good sun and just plain got the batteries too low. There is a setting on the Victron that should have been off - Battery Starts Synchronized, that wasn’t. So, here is the reset procedure that Matt had me do.
1. Turn Off Battery
2. Disconnect from Shore Power
3. Turn Off the Main on the Inverter (two screws on the side panel)
4. With jumper cables or starter box, jump from positive to positive, negative to negative on the top red (+) and bottom black (-). Once your system resets, go to the next step.
5. Turn the Inverter Main Back On
6. Plug in Shore Power
7. Disconnect Jumper Cables
8. Replace Panel and (2) screws.

Leave Battery Off Until it is charged to 30%. Now, you are good to go. The system worked as it was supposed to. Since my VictronConnect reset to 100% every time it restarted, I falsely thought I had a full charge. I was fortunate this happened where I had cell service. I also learned my batteries are 270ahx2 for 540ah of battery power. Hope I save someone else an early morning panick.
Step 1a) Buy suitcase generator.

2021 Montana 3854BR with 2014 Ram 3500 SRW Limited CC LB, 2021 Malibu 23 LSV, 2019 Can AM XRS turbo, 2017 Yamaha YXZ 1000R
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:33 PM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Unit had shore power, but EMS would not let it through.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 06:26 AM   #4
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
People should realize solar panels only work when the sun is out. That goes fore those in the electric grid.
Glad you were able to get on your way.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote