Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2020, 09:02 PM   #1
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
13 year old man needs your help!

Hey All,

We are the proud owners of a 2020 Montana 5th wheel trailer. We love the trailer and in the last few weeks we have been enjoying this new unit immensely. We have one problrm that is getting ready to come up and bite us.

We have a 13 year old Bulldog and he is having a big problem getting up and down on the Mo-ride stairs.

The way we have it been helping him is I lift him out of the coach to get down and then I push up on his back legs to get up the stairs. So far that has been working OK. I and worried that as time goes by he will need more help up and down. We are worried.

Is there anything that we can put up by the door to help him. We tried 2 different ramp and they both didn't work out to well.

Is there anything that you can offer us for help.

Our old man really will love you for it.

Charlie, Sofia and Sawyer.......

Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:25 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We have a 14 yo golden. She has a hard time getting up and down the stairs and the back of the TV. We bought a Weathertech pet ramp. She does very well with it. Very little assistance required.
https://www.weathertech.com/petramp/
Folds up and goes in the truck behind the passenger seat.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:01 AM   #3
Desert Rat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24985
My rescue dog named Bob began having issues climbing stairs, I found a flavored soft chew on Amazon that contains Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM and some other additives. It's called Hemp, Hip + Joint that has really helped him. He can get up the steps on his own, and it's like having a younger Bob Dog again. It worked for us.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:38 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
We have 2 English Bulldogs that both have problems with the steps. After several different options, I found a ramp on Wayfair that's made by Pet Gear. I combined it with a step/ramp that the call a "stramp" and this has been the best thing since sliced bread. No more lifting 50 lb. bulldogs in and out of the rig. The ramp is rated for 150 lbs. so it works well and we keep it to one side of the steps so we can get in and out without moving it all the time.
I'll try to post a picture.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:38 AM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
We have a 15 yr old female mix - 42 lbs of border collie and who knows what. We got her from a shelter when she was 2. She is bright, alert and she eats like a champ - just her legs don’t work anymore. I bought a full body harness (lots of sturdy Velcro, a set of long straps front and back and a suitcase handle in the middle) and pick her up by the suitcase handle to carry her up the steps. We also have a ramp that she could use up until a couple of years ago. I had a different harness at the time (more of a walking harness with a handle) and I would basically pickup/support most of her weight and guide/pull her up the ramp. She could sort of still walk - much better than now. For the past year we seldom take the full body harness off expect to wash it and give her a bath. I carry her out and sort of prop her up, and she can hobble a few steps and take care of business. She is too heavy for DW to handle.

Our ramp is narrow - maybe 16” wide. We have had it for 12 yrs (for one our previous seniors). The ramps i see on the market now appear to be even narrower, which is good. I extend the ramp fully and insert a keeper pin to keep it locked at length and set it up on the 2nd step from the top so it is not too steep. I place it at an angle to expose more of the bottom steps for us humans. I have an aluminum step stool on the ground off to the opposite side of the ramp which provides a decent first step/platform landing for DW and I. Thank goodness for the door handle.

I started working from home about a year ago (for other reasons other than to take care of the dog)...about the same time Ferns legs gave out - and I am her full time nurse and assistant. She has a good quality of life with me carrying her around and propping her up to potty. I am happy to do it.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:42 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Here's a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200608_063320.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	6529   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200608_063330.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	6530  
Old 06-08-2020, 08:00 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have had 3 aging Goldens with bad hips and legs. First bought a plastic telescoping ramp with thin carpet like material surface. But it was both a little shaky and the surface a little slick and our first Golden did not much like it. Then bought a Pet Step ramp and much much better. More stable and the surface was non slip. And that dog and all following had no problem at all using it. Narrow enough I just put it on the steps to one side and that leaves enough room for us to walk up and down the other. So the ramp stays there as long as we are camped.

https://www.chewy.com/petstep-foldin...ramp/dp/141324
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #8
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
We have 2 English Bulldogs that both have problems with the steps. After several different options, I found a ramp on Wayfair that's made by Pet Gear. I combined it with a step/ramp that the call a "stramp" and this has been the best thing since sliced bread. No more lifting 50 lb. bulldogs in and out of the rig. The ramp is rated for 150 lbs. so it works well and we keep it to one side of the steps so we can get in and out without moving it all the time.
I'll try to post a picture.
Thanks man. We just order them from Wayfair. Your a life saver.

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:22 PM   #9
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
I put the carpet step covers on ours and now the dog seems to like it better then before.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:42 AM   #10
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
Thanks man. We just order them from Wayfair. Your a life saver.

Charlie
No problem. Glad to be of assistance.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #11
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
I put the carpet step covers on ours and now the dog seems to like it better then before.
When our last pup turned 15 he didn’t like the steps. I put the carpet covers and he did ok he last 2 years. New pup liked the carpet. I dislike the Moreride junk less than he does.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote