Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #21
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I did not know I had one when I first got the Montana. However, when I was at the bedroom sink I could hear water dribbling into the gray tank and the sound was coming from the shower drain. When I removed the hepvo thing there was nothing inside the tube. The PO must have tried cleaning it the wrong way and pulled out the guts. I put in a new one and all is good.

prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:58 AM   #22
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
In the top picture, look in the upper right hand corner for a while plastic thing in the black ABS drain line. It has a red circle around it.
and another good joke wasted.........
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:16 AM   #23
DanandBrenda
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21176
Is there any reason you couldn't install a regular pee trap instead.
Old 11-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #24
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandBrenda View Post
Is there any reason you couldn't install a regular pee trap instead.
I am certainly going to see if I have room up in there, if so ,I can't see a reason not to change to a conventional P-trap. Sounds like just another device to have a problem with. In all the years with my previous fifth wheel with a P-trap never had any problems with it .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #25
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I have two thoughts as to why they are using them.
The first being the fact that a P-trap could dry up and let sewer gases into the camper
The second is that the water in the traps would freeze if they weren't winterized.
Although most RV manufacturers are going to do whatever is cheapest which would be the P-trap
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #26
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I am certainly going to see if I have room up in there, if so ,I can't see a reason not to change to a conventional P-trap. Sounds like just another device to have a problem with. In all the years with my previous fifth wheel with a P-trap never had any problems with it .
Next thing you know, you'll be putting a rotary dial on your cell phone
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:50 AM   #27
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I have two thoughts as to why they are using them.
The first being the fact that a P-trap could dry up and let sewer gases into the camper
The second is that the water in the traps would freeze if they weren't winterized.
Although most RV manufacturers are going to do whatever is cheapest which would be the P-trap
Not knowing I had these Hepvo valves , I poured antifreeze down them anyway when I winterized.

Years ago we had a 26' travel trailer we bought used from a friend, he told me how he winterized it. Opened the two low point drains , take a leaf blower ,and blow out the traps, plus he had a small piece of 2x4 ,that he used to prop open the toilet to leave it that way all winter . I just followed his lead, and never had any problems, nor any odors, of course the tanks were all empty. Maybe it all aired out before spring Anyway the last thing I worry about is traps drying up in an RV, I am guessing the manufacturer could care less about them drying up, and more of the limited space to be able to install a trap. With my fifth wheel that shower trap is behind my basement wall, I will for sure take a look at it next spring, and see. The least I will do is clean it, but will just see if there is room for a conventional p-trap.

On occasion when using the shower I get a faint odor, I suspect now that I know what trap it is, I am guessing its not closing up properly .
Old 11-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #28
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
Why didn't I think of that .
Old 11-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #29
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
On second thought ,do they actually put these type of traps in a residential homes now ?? I would think not, so is having a p-trap in an RV really going backward as you are alluding too .
Old 11-27-2020, 06:59 PM   #30
DanandBrenda
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21176
I have pee traps under kitchen sink and in the bathroom sink. in winter I pour antifreeze down them.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:54 AM   #31
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Not knowing I had these Hepvo valves , I poured antifreeze down them anyway when I winterized.

Years ago we had a 26' travel trailer we bought used from a friend, he told me how he winterized it. Opened the two low point drains , take a leaf blower ,and blow out the traps, plus he had a small piece of 2x4 ,that he used to prop open the toilet to leave it that way all winter . I just followed his lead, and never had any problems, nor any odors, of course the tanks were all empty. Maybe it all aired out before spring Anyway the last thing I worry about is traps drying up in an RV, I am guessing the manufacturer could care less about them drying up, and more of the limited space to be able to install a trap. With my fifth wheel that shower trap is behind my basement wall, I will for sure take a look at it next spring, and see. The least I will do is clean it, but will just see if there is room for a conventional p-trap.

On occasion when using the shower I get a faint odor, I suspect now that I know what trap it is, I am guessing its not closing up properly .
I find that a shower does a good job of getting rid of odors.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #32
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I find that a shower does a good job of getting rid of odors.
I know, there are times I am wondering if I am making any progress
Old 11-28-2020, 04:32 PM   #33
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Try using a plunger on the drain in the shower, just push though, then lift it up then put it back down and push. That will likely push the rubber diaphragm back in the right direction. Have did this several times since they started using them in around 2015...
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:22 PM   #34
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post
Try using a plunger on the drain in the shower, just push though, then lift it up then put it back down and push. That will likely push the rubber diaphragm back in the right direction. Have did this several times since they started using them in around 2015...
Apparently they started using them way before that. My 2011 has them also my buddies 2010 has them
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote