Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #1
still working(NOT)
Established Member

M.O.C. #27001
New to the Montana High Country

We have ordered a 2021 294RL High Country Montana and expect it in early October. We have a couple of questions:

Is there storage under the bed?
how wide and deep are the drawers in the island?

We had a Lance 2295 travel trailer. Does the inside ride like an earthquake too?

Not sure how long the battery(s?) will last in cold weather.

We are going to bite the bullet this coming spring and put 4 6volt cart batteries and 2 solar panels on the roof because we like to dry camp as well.

still working(NOT) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Welcome aboard! The 294RL is a nice floor plan. We have the 305RL and we have good storage under the bed. The kitchen island drawers are a little narrow and shallow so you just plan accordingly. We have a pretty standard silverware divider that fits. They all ride a bit like an earthquake with a little variable depending on what suspension you have. Ours has the CRE3000 suspension with the upgraded hangers and wet bolts. It pulls and handles very well but you still need to rearrange your cupboards a bit when you set up.

We don't boondock so don't have insight on batteries.

Good luck and enjoy that new rig!
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:16 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! Batteries are fine in cold weather if you either stay plugged in or disconnect the negative from ground. Modern 5th wheels drain batteries even with the battery disconnect engaged since things like the propane detector still draw power.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:40 PM   #4
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by still working(NOT) View Post
We have ordered a 2021 294RL High Country Montana and expect it in early October. We have a couple of questions:

We had a Lance 2295 travel trailer. Does the inside ride like an earthquake too?

We are going to bite the bullet this coming spring and put 4 6volt cart batteries and 2 solar panels on the roof because we like to dry camp as well.

I have to ask this out of my own ignorance; you ordered a new HC but don't have any idea about it? I'm just asking because I can't imagine making an expenditure like that on something I have no idea about - the intricacies, but also the particular unit. I've never bought an RV that my eyes and hands have not explored. Guess that's just me and explains why so many have issues upon purchase....?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:47 AM   #5
still working(NOT)
Established Member

M.O.C. #27001
We have checked out the Montana brand in person but have not a 294RL to review. It is my understanding that the main differences are the luxury upgrades and not the basic structural integrity. We have been RVing for over 10 years and expect problems and with the help of this society can share good ideas for improvements. Thanks for you comments.
still working(NOT) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #6
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by still working(NOT) View Post

All I can speak for is my 384BR:

It has under bed storage.

The first time we used it and got to our destination my wife said Look at this, nothing has moved in here!
We had a 35 ft Windjammer travel trailer before and when we'd get where we were going we'd have to pick up all kinds of stuff inside and straighten out the stuff in the cabinets.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
J&SMorris

M.O.C. #25538
Welcome to the High Country. Family of 5 and full size dog, full timers for a year now in our 331RL in south Texas. Great rig, pulls really well down the road with our 1 ton GMC dually. This forum is excellent for solving problems. Plan on there being problems! Plenty of storage under the bed, drawers are small but with planning it is manageable, always arrange and then re arrange on trips. Things to watch for: backflush water valve under the bathroom sink will fail and leak even the brand new one they replace it with; slide motors leak oil onto the roof. This is a known problem from the factory that they will not fix unless you make them, even on a brand new rig. Check that they have a drain pan on them before you leave the dealership, otherwise you will be back having the roof repaired or replaced; look at this forum for others with the same issue; the landing gear system will malfunction, causing you to reconnect to the truck and reset it, it will happen multiple times and the dealer says they cant replicate the problem so your left to deal with it; the kitchen sink is solid surface countertop which is really nice whereas the bathroom is MDF board with and overlaid material and undermount sinks, so...this translates into water getting in and swelling the MDF around the undermount sinks; you'll need to replace it at your cost since Keystone says its due to use (misuse). Keep checking the caulking around the sinks. The fabric on the underside of the slides will tear and expose the subfloor to water damage, again this is on you to repair as Keystone says it is due to use. How you can use the camper without sliding the slides in and out is beyond me but... some slide skies and tape will correct the issue that shouldn't have been an issue. Overall we are very happy with the rig. Research this site and YouTube for how to videos on correct the issues. Great people on this site who are here to help each other out.
J&SMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #8
J&SMorris

M.O.C. #25538
Couple more things; Be sure if you plan to switch to a gooseneck hitch vs the factory 5th wheel pin box Keystone only allows the Reese Goose Box. I bought our unit new, 2019, and told the dealership I intended to use the gooseneck vs the original pin box; they installed a conversion kit for me. Guess the factory authorized dealer and warranty repair shop didn't know that Keystone didn't allow any of those to be installed, I was told that it would void our warranty. Wound up talking to Keystone and they told me to install a Reese Goosebox instead, at the time this was the only brand they approved, not sure if that has changed now however. I know there are many who like the regular pin box style 5th wheel but I've enjoyed the towing exp. with our Goosebox; Quick flip of the B&W and we have a full 8 foot bed. After a short time the king size bed will need replacing. The newer beds are quite a bit heavier and you may want to change or add more gas shocks to the underside of the storage to help with raising and lowering.
J&SMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:13 PM   #9
NWCampers
Established Member

M.O.C. #29366
We have the 2020 MHC 330rl which appears to be fairly similar to your floor plan. Underbed storage measures 43”x48” and 14 3/4” deep. The space overall is 6’1 1/2” but the back part is shallower with only 9” deep storage. See pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	00ADD648-EFF4-4B00-90F0-EA80E63D1374.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	9979
Island drawers are 9 1/4”x 15”x 3 3/4” deep.

I hope this helps and you enjoy your new rv.
NWCampers is offline   Reply With Quote