Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2023, 08:45 PM   #1
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
5th Wheel hitch

Newbee here

I bought a '04 Dodge Ram Cummins 2500 about a year and a half ago. It came with a 5th wheel hitch in the back. There are 4 pins that can remove it from the bed. It's weighs quite a bit and is awkward to carry. I would guess 75-100 lb. Truck runs and looks good except where I've hit it with my pallet forks. Probably not relevant.

In March I bought a '01 Montana 34' long. I pulled it with the truck about 75 miles from Toledo - relatively flat - using the fifth wheel hitch.

Didn't notice any problems with pulling other than fuel mileage dropped quite a bit at 75mph vs 55 mph (7 vs 11)

However, when I got back, unhooked, etc. I noticed the fifth wheel hitch receiver plate looked like it might not be perfectly flat anymore. I believe it was before I started but wouldn't swear to it.

I was trying to get the info off the hitch to find out more about if it's rated for what I'm pulling, but the label/plate was spray painted over and can't seem to get it off even with acetone.

My intent with the fifth wheel is finish remodeling in the next couple months, drive 350 miles to southern KY and park it until I get my cabin built.

So, I guess what i'm getting at is are all hitches for fifth wheels made the same and I'm good or are there big differences and I'm lucky to be alive? If the latter, what do I do next?

brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 03:54 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
It might help if you could post a picture of the hitch. I am no hitch expert - but when you use terms like “heavy and awkward to handle” and “removable pins for the rails” - it sounds like you are in the right ballpark for a hitch to pull your rig.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 07:20 AM   #3
TenOC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28210
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycesteiner View Post
N

However, when I got back, unhooked, etc. I noticed the fifth wheel hitch receiver plate looked like it might not be perfectly flat anymore. I believe it was before I started but wouldn't swear to it.

The plate on the hitch that receives the 5er king pin can flex up and down.

When hooking up I always try to have the pinbox about 1/4 inch ABOVE the rear of hitch's saddle, and have found this to work best. The pinbox will then contact the saddle about 1/3 of the way from back to front. It will still ride up the saddle somewhat, but with less friction.

Do a google search for some videos on how to hook up a 5er.
TenOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 09:27 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Not sure what you mean by "I noticed the fifth wheel hitch receiver plate looked like it might not be perfectly flat anymore". A picture is worth a thousand words. And easy to post here on the forum. The hitch plate will tilt front to back and, in most cases side to side, as you drive. And doesn't necessarily go back to level when you unhook. That is to account for roads not being level.

A 34' Montana is not particularly heavy so I don't think you have a hitch problem unless it is somehow damaged.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, hitch, receiver, truck